Toons in EPCOT

Cartoons in EPCOT?

• No. I still believe that EPCOT should revolve around its original theme with no cartoons.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Yes. But don't shoehorn them in like Frozen and Nemo just because of their popularity!

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Yes. If it fits.

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • No. I'm anti-toon all the way.

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I agree totally. Has it all been 'good' change? Depends on who you ask and their personal preferences. Again, 'we' on these boards aren't the typical WDW visitors. Just looking to find a WDW discussion board probably eliminates you from 'the norm'.
Most of the changes are done with budget as the driving force in what the change is. Been that way there for a LOOOONG time. Same thing with every business. Look at the shrinking amounts of product in packages so the price doesn't rise, the lessening in quality of materials used to make just about anything. How often do you say "Well, they don't make them like they used to"? The funny thing is, for many folks, they never experienced 'used to' at the Parks.
I usually stay away from the major, park oriented, portions of this board because it's just so repetitive, predictable (especially in responses) and can get so snarky. I also just never get why if folks are so disenchanted that they continue to spend time here griping about the same thing over and over or even patronizing the company. If you don't like it- don't go, don't buy it, don't see it. Best way to show your displeasure.
I'll go back to being a cellar dweller on the boards now. Good luck, man.

Well, thanks! You really know how to explain things very well. You've got my respect. Thanks for the advice !

lazyboy97o

Change may be a dirty word, but change is reality!
Change at a theme park is not random, indeterminate mutations like biological evolution. It is shaped and created with purpose.

I agree totally. Has it all been 'good' change? Depends on who you ask and their personal preferences. Again, 'we' on these boards aren't the typical WDW visitors. Just looking to find a WDW discussion board probably eliminates you from 'the norm'.
Most of the changes are done with budget as the driving force in what the change is. Been that way there for a LOOOONG time. Same thing with every business. Look at the shrinking amounts of product in packages so the price doesn't rise, the lessening in quality of materials used to make just about anything. How often do you say "Well, they don't make them like they used to"? The funny thing is, for many folks, they never experienced 'used to' at the Parks.
I usually stay away from the major, park oriented, portions of this board because it's just so repetitive, predictable (especially in responses) and can get so snarky. I also just never get why if folks are so disenchanted that they continue to spend time here griping about the same thing over and over or even patronizing the company. If you don't like it- don't go, don't buy it, don't see it. Best way to show your displeasure.
I'll go back to being a cellar dweller on the boards now. Good luck, man.
This might be valid if Disney was tight for money, but they are not. Even worse, the standards that Disney established were done when the company was smaller, when they had less resources, so budgets were smaller. The ignorance of the audience is not an excuse because that is now how people who respect their work think. There is nothing healthy about the "They're tourists, what do they know?" contempt for customers that your trying to pass off as business as usual and perfectly acceptable. Using the term "guest" was not just vapid posturing when it was introduced.

216bruce

Change at a theme park is not random, indeterminate mutations like biological evolution. It is shaped and created with purpose.

This might be valid if Disney was tight for money, but they are not. Even worse, the standards that Disney established were done when the company was smaller, when they had less resources, so budgets were smaller. The ignorance of the audience is not an excuse because that is now how people who respect their work think. There is nothing healthy about the "They're tourists, what do they know?" contempt for customers that your trying to pass off as business as usual and perfectly acceptable. Using the term "guest" was not just vapid posturing when it was introduced.
Nowhere in my post do I say that I agree or for that matter disagree with any of the changes that Disney is making, has made or will make. All I'm attempting to provide in the post is an illustration that what happens at the Disney company is like what happens everywhere else in business. I certainly don't mean to imply that their customers/guests are by any means stupid.
Again, we, the folks on this forum, are not typical guests of the parks and Disney doesn't really cater to what purists or superfans want at the parks. It's not their core business. That's why there's so much "Frozen" stuff there. People want it, it's hugely popular and the typical guest goes there wanting to see what's popular. And, again, again, this doesn't mean that I even like the changes. All it means is that I understand what they are doing is dollar driven and that things change. The 'good' or 'bad' of the change is strictly a matter of opinion.

I will say that I completely disagree with the implication that Disney has 'contempt' for their guests or for 'tourists' now. The one thing for me in my visits to WDW that hasn't changed is that their response to issues in the hotels, parks, with merchandise, food, etc. remains unparalleled in the retail and entertainment industry. I've worked for two companies (in the customer service biz) that preach the gospel of Disney customer service to this day and send managers to Disney sponsored service training. If you didn't mean to imply any of that, I apologize.

Little Green Men

Good. Glad it's not as bad as I had thought it seemed. It just really seems that the push has really went far away from information and into pure entertainment. How often are the diving demos? I haven't seen any activity in that 'tube' in years. Also, is it me or is there a LOT less aquatic life in the mega-quarium than there used to be?
I'm not sure, they were doing it the last two times I was in there but I didn't really watch it. Just look around the pavilion more closely and you'll spot the edutainment in there. ;)

lazyboy97o

Nowhere in my post do I say that I agree or for that matter disagree with any of the changes that Disney is making, has made or will make. All I'm attempting to provide in the post is an illustration that what happens at the Disney company is like what happens everywhere else in business. I certainly don't mean to imply that their customers/guests are by any means stupid.
Again, we, the folks on this forum, are not typical guests of the parks and Disney doesn't really cater to what purists or superfans want at the parks. It's not their core business. That's why there's so much "Frozen" stuff there. People want it, it's hugely popular and the typical guest goes there wanting to see what's popular. And, again, again, this doesn't mean that I even like the changes. All it means is that I understand what they are doing is dollar driven and that things change. The 'good' or 'bad' of the change is strictly a matter of opinion.

I will say that I completely disagree with the implication that Disney has 'contempt' for their guests or for 'tourists' now. The one thing for me in my visits to WDW that hasn't changed is that their response to issues in the hotels, parks, with merchandise, food, etc. remains unparalleled in the retail and entertainment industry. I've worked for two companies (in the customer service biz) that preach the gospel of Disney customer service to this day and send managers to Disney sponsored service training. If you didn't mean to imply any of that, I apologize.
Marvel has made billions of dollars catering to their fans and the public has responded enthusiastically. Impress the fans and you'll impress everyone else.

Disney's strategy of cutting offerings while increasing prices, which you try to paint as business as usual, is showing contempt for customers. It doesn't matter if Disney is still able to sell others the philosophy they have abandoned.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Marvel has made billions of dollars catering to their fans and the public has responded enthusiastically. Impress the fans and you'll impress everyone else.

I'm pretty sure if MARVEL comics weren't going to bring in the park guests, they wouldn't have created an entire land revolving around the characters.. Because then there would be no profit.

The average Disney fan is more into the Disney movies.. Not theme park history. The people on these forums cannot compete with the Disney movie fans.

lazyboy97o

I'm pretty sure if MARVEL comics weren't going to bring in the park guests, they wouldn't have created an entire land revolving around the characters.. Because then there would be no profit.

The average Disney fan is more into the Disney movies.. Not theme park history. The people on these forums cannot compete with the Disney movie fans.
What? I was not talking about Marvel Super Hero Island, but that decision was made in 1994, Marvel went bankrupt in 1996 and the land opened in 1999. What I was talking about is the incredibly successful films that started after Marvel saw the disasters created by people trying to make their characters more popular, for "average" audiences.

The Empress Lilly

Being one of those theme park history people, I remember that Disney for decades was a theme park company with some studio activity on the side.

Nowadays, Disney is a tv company. With some theme parks on the side and for pocket change here and there a movie. Frozen may be the biggest fad on the planet, but its entire all-time global revenue is what WDW alone makes in a few weeks. That's right, SSE's sleeping monk makes more money than glittering drag queen Elsa.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
What? I was not talking about Marvel Super Hero Island, but that decision was made in 1994, Marvel went bankrupt in 1996 and the land opened in 1999. What I was talking about is the incredibly successful films that started after Marvel saw the disasters created by people trying to make their characters more popular, for "average" audiences.
Being one of those theme park history people, I remember that Disney for decades was a theme park company with some studio activity on the side.

Nowadays, Disney is a tv company. With some theme parks on the side and for pocket change here and there a movie. Frozen may be the biggest fad on the planet, but its entire all-time global revenue is what WDW alone makes in a few weeks. That's right, SSE's sleeping monk makes more money than glittering drag queen Elsa.

tumblr_mr83plO4Np1rfn0yto1_500.gif

I don't even know where these arguments are going anymore..

lazyboy97o

See, you have completely undermined any possible validity to your arguments that people expect and are more responsive to known characters and in the process demonstrated the tangential nature of including pre-established characters to make a point. Ed is stupid. That's the whole joke. He is so stupid that he can never get a simple burger order correct. You're so focused on just using what is established that while there is a basic message relayed you have completely missed that in the process you have told us all that we should associate you with never ending stupidity. That is the whole flaw of trying to graft two different ideas together, they never really play well together and the character dominates.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
See, you have completely undermined any possible validity to your arguments that people expect and are more responsive to known characters and in the process demonstrated the tangential nature of including pre-established characters to make a point. Ed is stupid. That's the whole joke. He is so stupid that he can never get a simple burger order correct. You're so focused on just using what is established that while there is a basic message relayed you have completely missed that in the process you have told us all that we should associate you with never ending stupidity. That is the whole flaw of trying to graft two different ideas together, they never really play well together and the character dominates.
200.gif

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
So this fancy movie theatre the opened up yesterday, that has recliner chairs... Was $6.00 per adult ticket!! That is beyond amazing to me! On top of that... My cousin and I saw Big Hero 6, and that movie was so SSAAAADD!! Yet.. so AWESOME!!!!!!! It was amazing! :D

BH6 SCREAAAMMSS EPCOT all over the place!! Even the underscore soundtrack would be GREAT area music for a pavilion themed to robotics/health/BH6! It would be amazing! It'd fit PERFECTLY in EPCOT! Great movie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom