Too Casual attire at WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzcotopia

Original Poster
woah, woah, woah. it seems a fair amount of people here judge others based on what they wear, their makeup, and their tattoo choices. face and neck tattoos are 'too much'?

Based on the current count of 60 posts, I would say 10 of them had some kind of specific judgement, including my first post - but mine was truly was a poor choice and I deleted what may have been deemed the offensive part. Others among those 10 may have also been poor choices of words, and not deliberately judgemental).

Data: These are the ones I counted as possibly judgemental ( post 1 *mine* whoops, 21, 24, 31, 32, 38, 39, 47, 50, 52), though ultimately that is more of a qualitative sphere, dependent on my specific perspective.

That's about 1/6 posts, or 16.7%. I may have mentioned that I made this thread based on some discussion I saw in another thread (specific to the "declassing" of deluxe resorts, etc) and wanted to see if that was the real consensus on these boards. Thankfully, it was not, and I am gladdened to see the real truth of how people feel (as opposed to that vocal minority on the other thread).

The general consensus here seems to be . . . wear what you want, and enjoy your vacation. That makes me very happy, so thanks everyone!

DManRightHere

The only place I felt "judged" is yacht club. I was only looking for a bathroom. Only rest room I'd been to at Disney that had actual linen hand towels. I didn't like the vibe from other guests and I wouldn't stay there lol.

GrammieBee

Maybe I'm being an old fogie (which I am), but I stand by my post. We grew up taking pride in our appearance when we were out in public and were taught that what we wore should be appropriate to where we were and that certain body parts should not be showing. You could put it in three words: nice, neat and clean.

Definitely, pre-schoolers, elementary age children, tweens, tenagers and adults all should be taught not to be cruel or make fun of someone they perceive as different. Everyone has feelings which can be hurt, but at some point a person has to be aware that if they are a unique indiividual and choose to look very different, whether they like it or not and regardless of how vemiently they defend their position, people will make judgements about them. It is a fact of life.

doctornick

Maybe I'm being an old fogie (which I am), but I stand by my post. We grew up taking pride in our appearance when we were out in public and were taught that what we wore should be appropriate to where we were and that certain body parts should not be showing. You could put it in three words: nice, neat and clean.

I think most people would actually agree with that sentiment. The issue lies in the subjective judgement of what is "appropriate" for public or what is "nice, neat and clean". You'd get a huge range of responses for what that entails from different people IMHO.

doctornick

That's about 1/6 posts, or 16.7%. I may have mentioned that I made this thread based on some discussion I saw in another thread (specific to the "declassing" of deluxe resorts, etc) and wanted to see if that was the real consensus on these boards. Thankfully, it was not, and I am gladdened to see the real truth of how people feel (as opposed to that vocal minority on the other thread).

I love this message board and it really has some of the best discourse and information on the web regarding WDW. But certain threads tend to become a bit of an echo chamber in regards to opinions where there seems to be a widespread consensus about things that aren't reflective of reality. I think the majority of people in the real world recognize that you can be classy and well kept while being dressed casually. Wearing a t-shirt when visiting a theme park in 95 degree weather isn't a mark of the decline of society; it's just practical.

GrammieBee

Oh, come on now. Everyone on this thread knows what is appropriate for a day in the parks. Shorts and a Tshirt.polo shirt or tank top. Hopefully, underwear as well. Possibly slightly better dressed for a sit down dinner. We all know you don't wear a bikini to a dinner party or to an opera anymore than you would wear a long gown or tuxedo to play golf. They wouldn't be appropriate.

"Nice" might be open for discussion, but surely people know what neat and clean means.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

The only place I felt "judged" is yacht club. I was only looking for a bathroom. Only rest room I'd been to at Disney that had actual linen hand towels. I didn't like the vibe from other guests and I wouldn't stay there lol.
We visit there every trip for dinner at Yachtsman, I have definitely gotten stares, even in my nicer attire.
I think it is just the atmosphere in there. If the food wasn't so good, no way I'd step foot in the Yacht Club.

psukardi

Oh, come on now. Everyone on this post knows what is appropriate for a day in the parks. Shorts and a Tshirt.polo shirt or tank top. Hopefully, underwear as well. Possibly slightly better dressed for a sit down dinner. We all know you don't wear a bikini to a dinner party or to an opera anymore than you would wear a long gown or tuxedo to play golf. They wouldn't be appropriate.

"Nice" might be open for discussion, but surely people know what neat and clean means.

Oddly enough while I didn't play golf in my tux, I did end up spending a few hours in the Magic Kingdom in one. It was after dinner at V&A and I wanted a Dole Whip in the worst way and was not going to go back to the room to change when I could just hop on the monorail & be at the park. Don't judge me! Sure I was a bit over dressed - but I felt classy going on Carousel Of Progress dressed to the 9's

KAAAAAHN

Oh, taht's right. Even in mid July you should bring one sweatshirt. Just in case. Sometimes it will get chilly at night if you are outside.

Chernaboggles

Oddly enough while I didn't play golf in my tux, I did end up spending a few hours in the Magic Kingdom in one. It was after dinner at V&A and I wanted a Dole Whip in the worst way and was not going to go back to the room to change when I could just hop on the monorail & be at the park. Don't judge me! Sure I was a bit over dressed - but I felt classy going on Carousel Of Progress dressed to the 9's

Evening wear strikes me as perfectly acceptable at Magic Kingdom or Epcot, regardless of the circumstances. I bet you looked dashing!

Edit: fine for Hollywood Studios also, with bonus points for extra glamour.

GrammieBee

You weren't golfing, but you sure looked "nice" in your V&A's appropriate tuxedo. No judgment about it although you might have left some people wondering.

Last edited:

crispy

We visit there every trip for dinner at Yachtsman, I have definitely gotten stares, even in my nicer attire.
I think it is just the atmosphere in there. If the food wasn't so good, no way I'd step foot in the Yacht Club.

I always choose to believe people are staring at me because I look particularly good that day - a Hotty McHotterson if you will. Stares should make self-confident, not self-conscious. :)

epcotisbest

I always choose to believe people are staring at me because I look particularly good that day - a Hotty McHotterson if you will. Stares should make self-confident, not self-conscious. :)
Hotty McHotterson...well at risk of great personal injury due to a swift punch in the gut from my wife, I would feel it my duty to stare...but only to help add to your already Hotty self confidence.

The Mom

Premium Member
Since there will never be a consensus of what is appropriate attire at WDW (or most anyplace, unless you are required to wear a uniform for an activity or work) there isn't any point in getting all hot and bothered over it. Especially in WDW in August. ;)

As Cole Porter wrote almost 100 years ago "In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking, but heavens knows, now anything goes." I'm sure he would be horrified to see what people are wearing now - just as my mother was a generation ago when things like the mini-skirt and tank tops were popular - the first time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom