Tomorrowland's Future

D

Deleted member 107043

I know it's gotta be harder than it was back in the 70's and 80's to keep a futuristic vibe going on with Tomorrowland though

Believe it or not Tomorrowland felt pretty dated back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Aspirational for sure, but it has rarely attained the goals set by Walt Disney with workable predictions of the future.

rle4lunch

Believe it or not Tomorrowland felt pretty dated back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s. Aspirational for sure, but it has rarely attained the goals set by Walt Disney with workable predictions of the future.

I wasn't lucky enough to visit DL until I was 29 years old in 2004. I spent my childhood going to WDW every 2 years from the age of 6 till I was 12. I saw the golden age of Epcot in the 80's when I was a kid. Left me awestruck for a very, very long time when I was young. After my last visit in 1987 at the age of 12 I didn't revisit the part until I was 26. We now go every 3-4 years to WDW (last visit 2012) around the first week of December (absolute best time to go for lower temps and crowds). Tomorrowland and Epcot magic are gone, replaced by dumbed down versions of what were previously glorious attractions (mostly epcot on this).

We recently transferred to the East Coast from being stationed in San Diego for the last 5 years or so, so we're looking to up our WDW visits in the upcoming years. From 2010 to 2015 we used military salute park hopper tickets (so cheap) for DL and went about 3-4 times a year. We won't be hitting up DL again until after SWL is completed, so hopefully in that time frame they'll be some major changes to both DL and DCA to make our visit worth it.

Phroobar

I agree. Before Star Tours there wasn't much that was futuristic in the '67 redo beyond Space Mountain and maybe the Peoplemover/Monorail. Everything else was very edu-tainment based and never had lines. It was because of the need to move away from edu-tainment to more theme park related rides that we got Star Tours. A new Tomorrowland and Epcot Future World needs more rides not based on edu-tainment but based on scientific adventure or a futuristic fantasyland. Mission: Space and the Tron coaster are good examples of scientific adventure that doesn't try to teach you.

Rich T

I agree. Before Star Tours there wasn't much that was futuristic in the '67 redo beyond Space Mountain and maybe the Peoplemover/Monorail. Everything else was very edu-tainment based and never had lines. It was because of the need to move away from edu-tainment to more theme park related rides that we got Star Tours. A new Tomorrowland and Epcot Future World needs more rides not based on edu-tainment but based on scientific adventure or a futuristic fantasyland. Mission: Space and the Tron coaster are good examples of scientific adventure that doesn't try to teach you.
Adventure Thru Inner Space filled that role perfectly for me when I was a kid. That's a concept that deserves to be brought back and revitalized as a perfect blend of sci-fi adventure and science fact. Edutainment is awesome when you don't even realize you're being taught anything until after it's over and you can't get the concepts out of your head. :)

rle4lunch

I've always loved the smell of Autopia's load area fumes. And gas stations. What the hell is wrong with me?!?

Don't get me wrong, I like the smell (I work around jets all day long as well and love JP5 exhaust), but for some reason that cloud that sits over that area hits me hard.

D

Deleted member 107043

Everything else was very edu-tainment based and never had lines.

And don't forget about that testament to the wonders of tomorrow, America Sings. o_O

265a8376cd4d3ad75b39f799ffefaa9c.jpg

Phroobar

Technically America Sings was amazing blend of robotics and audio equipment. I think an scifi alien based variety show would work even today.

Rich T

And don't forget about that testament to the wonders of tomorrow, America Sings. o_O

265a8376cd4d3ad75b39f799ffefaa9c.jpg
Boy, did this show--for better and worse--embody the mindset of post-Walt 70's Disney, fitting right in with the humor/style of Aristocats and Robin Hood. I think Marc Davis was one of the greatest talents to ever work in the entertainment industry, and the individual character designs are great, but... what a strange show. :D Even though "The Old Grey Mare" character got my vote for "Absolute Most Awful Thing In Disneyland," the show had its awesome moments. And, now that DL is down to Tiki Room as the last remaining AA musical...I really miss it! :)

Phroobar

Who shot the hole in my sombrero?
Who put the bullet through my hat?
Who would do a terrible thing like that?

I can't figure who pulled that trigger.
Do you think my exwife is back in town?

or originally,
Was it Pancho from the rancho?
Did he do this because I kissed his wife?

D

Deleted member 107043

Technically America Sings was amazing blend of robotics and audio equipment. I think an scifi alien based variety show would work even today.

I kind of wonder about that and how guests would respond. While there's something intriguing to me about a stage full of robotic characters putting on a show, the whole idea of it as entertainment seems old-timey and quaint in 2016.

Figments Friend

You'll have to muster up your courage again for Space Mountain at DLP. Not only is it a coaster in the dark it's a coaster in the dark that goes upside down.

I hope to some day make it over to DLP.
Would really like to see the place with my own eyes.

Their version of 'Space Mountain' is just gorgeous to look at....exspecially at night.
Love what they did over there for Discoveryland.
I probably would 'chicken' out though as I'm not keen on going upside down....but who knows.
Would be a bit silly to travel all that way and turn the chance down.

I am a total wimp when it comes to coasters that are overly intense.
Give me 'BTMR' -ish and I'm delighted.
:)

-

Old Mouseketeer

Who put the bullet through my hat?
Who would do a terrible thing like that?

I can't figure who pulled that trigger.
Do you think my exwife is back in town?

or originally,
Was it Pancho from the rancho?
Did he do this because I kissed his wife?

I think the last line was actually:
"Was it Manuel because I kissed his wife?"

I remember talking with the late Imagineer David Mumford (we were Disney Geeks since high school) and discussing Marc Davis' great characters (living on in Splash Mountain). He actually told me of the change before I saw it in person. I'm not sure if I still have an original LP of the music before the change. I did, once upon a time.

TwilightZone

I hope to some day make it over to DLP.
Would really like to see the place with my own eyes.

Their version of 'Space Mountain' is just gorgeous to look at....exspecially at night.
Love what they did over there for Discoveryland.
I probably would 'chicken' out though as I'm not keen on going upside down....but who knows.
Would be a bit silly to travel all that way and turn the chance down.

I am a total wimp when it comes to coasters that are overly intense.
Give me 'BTMR' -ish and I'm delighted.
:)

-
You should definitely go on it! It doesn't go upside down at all. I'd say the only scary thing about it is that it's completely dark, save for a few lights.

D

Deleted member 107043

You should definitely go on it! It doesn't go upside down at all. I'd say the only scary thing about it is that it's completely dark, save for a few lights.

Are you talking about DLP's Space Mountain? It definitely does have several inversions.

Old Mouseketeer

No. If you look up the original song lyrics, it is what I quoted.

"Original
No. If you look up the original song lyrics, it is what I quoted.

If you mean the original Rex Allen recording from decades earlier, you are correct. I'm still searching for documentation of the lyrics of the first version in America Sings. I'm actually surprised that there is no detailed documentation online of the controversy from 1974.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom