Tomorrowland's Future

Californian Elitist

Man may have went to space but you and I never will. That's the difference between Autopia and Space Mountain to me. One of them I get the displeasure of doing everyday in LA traffic.

How do you know if I've been to space or not?

Tomorrowland isn't supposed to be what average guests have and haven't done, or what the future looks like for only certain people. It's supposed to be universal futurism.

mickEblu

How do you know if I've been to space or not?

Tomorrowland isn't supposed to be what average guests have and haven't done, or what the future looks like for only certain people. It's supposed to be universal futurism.

Lol i don't know you haven't been to space. Just going out on a limb.

I would consider common people space traveling as universal futurism.

Rich T

Not exactly, it's a trend but I woudlnt say it's the norm... Yet. Look at all the lands at Shanghai Disneyland, aside from "Pirates" land. I just don't wanna go to a Disneyland that one day consists Zootopia land, Frozen land, Pirates land, Star Wars land and Indiana Jones land. It's a little too limiting for my taste.
BUT... (bein' more real than I wanna be here)... being limited is better than not buildin' anything at all, and that's the executive management we're dealing with. On the plus side, single I.P lands can always be altered in the future. In the unlikely event Star Wars becomes uncool, the whole area could become Discovery Bay. A Kingdom Hearts Land could become Vault Disney, etc.

Curious Constance

I think someone commented on the Starcade space on this thread, I just saw this on today's Miceage update:

"In Tomorrowland, the restrooms at the exit of Space Mountain are expanding into space that was previously the lower level of the Starcade. The restrooms are closed during expansion."

Rich T

I think someone commented on the Starcade space on this thread, I just saw this on today's Miceage update:

"In Tomorrowland, the restrooms at the exit of Space Mountain are expanding into space that was previously the lower level of the Starcade. The restrooms are closed during expansion."
Those are gonna be huge freakin' restrooms.

mickEblu

BUT... (bein' more real than I wanna be here)... being limited is better than not buildin' anything at all, and that's the executive management we're dealing with. On the plus side, single I.P lands can always be altered in the future. In the unlikely event Star Wars becomes uncool, the whole area could become Discovery Bay. A Kingdom Hearts Land could become Vault Disney, etc.

Of course it's better than nothing, it's just not what I prefer. It is a lot easier to swap out a ride then it is a 14 acre land though. Not that I see that happening with SWL in my lifetime.

Single IP lands are the current trend and that's because Harry Potter was a huge success. But Its not because folks were begging for single IP lands, it's because Wizarding World was extremely well executed.... And it's Harry Potter. The IP comes second to the quality of work. So Disney ran with the single IP land idea to "keep up with the Jones.'" Harry Potter just happened to be perfectly suited to be it's own land. The settings were part of story and its a world people wanted to jump into. For example with an IP like Frozen, nothing about what makes it popular has to do with the setting. No one is dying to go visit that world. It's about the characters and the songs. Although a well done Elsas ice castle could be cool. Star Wars is too vast And most of its worlds are boring and ugly. And Marvel, with its gazillion properties ( most of them set in big cities) is a terrible idea for land ... From a creative standpoint, not marketing and synergy etc. Anyway, getting back to my point ...if you build quality things people will come. With or without the IP. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they will all be a huge success but mostly because Disney will be pulling out all the stops... and yes they are mega-IPs. So I can't blame them from a business standpoint. This is all just my opinion and preferences with my creative lenses on.

I get it. We live in a world where a marketing guy is head of parks and resorts. So what should I expect?

I'm sorry, what is Kingdom Hearts?

Oh ya, Avatar land is one single IP land im excited for because that's a World I would love to step into. I have thing for lush environments and those lights in the night jungle will probably make great eye candy. It's more about the environment the Ip offers for me.

D

Deleted member 107043

The IP comes second to the quality of work. So Disney ran with the single IP land idea to "keep up with the Jones.'"

That's a pretty cynical viewpoint. I mean to varying degrees hasn't Disney always done this? I remember Disney admitting in the 80s that Space Mountain, the New Matterhorn, Big Thunder, and Splash Mountain were green-lit in rapid succession in response to pressure as its competitors drove attendance by building large scale thrill rides. Disneyland may be unique, but no business exists in a void where it can afford to be oblivious to external trends. The public wants more immersive experiences and given the return on popular IP doesn't it make sense that Disney would follow suit?

mickEblu

That's a pretty cynical viewpoint. I mean to varying degrees hasn't Disney always done this? I remember Disney admitting in the 80s that Space Mountain, the New Matterhorn, Big Thunder, and Splash Mountain were green-lit in rapid succession in response to pressure as its competitors drove attendance by building large scale thrill rides. Disneyland may be unique, but no business exists in a void where it can afford to be oblivious to external trends. The public wants more immersive experiences and given the return on popular IP doesn't it make sense that Disney would follow suit?

Not just Disney. Everyone does it. It's kind of like human nature. But why is it cynical? That's what happened right ?

Phroobar

I wouldn't call most Star wars world boring and ugly. Most worlds reflect environments on Earth (swamp, snow, forest, desert). You also have the giant city scapes like Corescant or very alien looking worlds. Star Wars is not like Star Trek where they beam down to a world that looks like the same recycled rock planet for every episode. Star Wars can be anything the imagination comes up with. There is some beautiful landscapes in the EU. Disney was smart to give us something we've haven't seen before instead of here is a desert area, followed by a death star area, followed by snow area.

D

Deleted member 107043

But why is it cynical? That's what happened right ?

"Keeping up with the Jones" sounds cynical to me because it makes the argument sound as if you're suggesting that Disney has sold out for expediency when in fact the company has no choice but to follow trends and hopefully adapt them in an artful and thoughtful "Disney" way. Single IP theme lands were inevitable at Disney Parks even if WWoHP had never come to fruition because of growing consumer demand for immersive experiences combined with Iger's aggressive and successful studio brand strategy. It won't surprise me if Disney or Universal announces entire theme park based on a single IP before long.

Rich T

I'm sorry, what is Kingdom Hearts?
It's a series of popular action-RPG videogames that combines every Disney character imaginable into one massive fantasy epic. It's kinda steam-punky and edgy, and has built up a huge following similar to how Nightmare Before Christmas was several years ago -- Really popular with under-35 Disney fans who like seeing classic animated characters with a bit of "darkness" and "edge" to them. Began in 2002.

In a nutshell, a young man name Sora joins forces with Donald, Goofy, (eventually) Mickey and a huge array of Disney characters like Beast and Jack Skellington to defend classic Disney worlds from the goonlike "Heartless," who are being helped by Disney villains. The fate of the entire Universe is at stake, and you get to travel everywhere from Steamboat Willie to Tron. It gets really, really dark.

Parkwise, it would make a swell dark ride, and the games' central hub "land", Traverse Town, would be a Fantasyland-type village with a steampunk/sci fi twist. Since the town is a refugee camp for Disney characters whose worlds have been taken over, literally any character could show up on the streets.

And that's Kingdom Hearts. Tried to keep it short. :) A free mobile prequel called Kingdom Hearts Unchained X just came out on iPhone and Android. It's 2D (the main games are 3d modeled), and simplified, but captures the art style and music nicely.

dweezil78

So Disney ran with the single IP land idea to "keep up with the Jones.'"

Don't forget -- Disney was in talks with JK Rowling and first in line to bid on Harry Potter. It went to UNI only after negotiations went sour. Tony Baxter was lead on the project and, from what I understand, a lot of his influence made it into what ultimately got built. This is not a matter of Disney following the industry's lead. Disney was tracking to do it first.

Rich T

kh.jpg

Kingdom Hearts. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom