1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomorrowland's Future

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by jt04, May 14, 2016.

1. DisneyIrishGuy

DisneyIrishGuy Well-Known Member

One premise of Tron 3 was going to be Sam and Quorra's adventures outside the grid and try to create new iso's in the real world. Now with the new Jared Leto version don't know if that is still the case. But the Tron coaster could take the original Tron 3 premise and build upon it to make it its own story. Which would have the outside portion make sense. So you have originality of a story but with an IP.

2. Professortango1

Professortango1 Well-Known Member

I guess I'd have to see it as it doesn't make sense to me. I know the current version doesn't attempt to explain going outside the show building and the result is a disjointed attraction.

3. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Going outside is just for guest attraction. It gives the wow factor that the rider is really up high. It's a wienie.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  4. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

There is a Space Mountain variant that does go outside. It works in the story, just like the outdoor section Lightcycles.

5. rle4lunch

rle4lunch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

phruby likes this.
  6. Professortango1

Where?? I know Paris' begins with being loaded into the cannon with views of outside before being shot into space, but I don't recall any version of Space having guests leave space, go outside, and go back into space.

7. sedati

sedati Well-Known Member

The original concept art for space mountain definitely shows the track going outside.

phruby and FerretAfros like this.
  8. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

You are quite correct.

There is no version of Lightcycles that takes guests into and then out of the Grid. There are 4 phases of the ride:
    1) Portion in the real/physical world- Queue and initial pre launch
    2) Upload to the Grid- outdoor section
    3) The games- Indoor section on the Grid
    4) Return to Tomorrowland

This follows almost exactly the same formula as Space Mountain in Paris with an on Earth section, an outdoor launch section, and a space portion.

There is no into and out of the Grid because you aren't in the Grid to begin with.

9. Stevek

Stevek Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be in the Hot Dog thread?

phruby and Curious Constance like this.
  10. Professortango1

But the queue is themed to the world of Tron, and the light cycles only exist in the world o5c Tron....You're still in Tron, exiting into the real world, then going back into Tron and into the Game Grid.

It would be one thing if the queue and building were themed to Tomorrowland and guests boarded regular vehicles that wpuld transport them into the world of Tron once they reached a certain velocity or whatever. But leaving the cyber world ruins the ride.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  11. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The stuff on the outside of the building is coaster tracks.

12. Professortango1

Yep, and they didn't do this concept. Someone mentioned a version where the coaster does have an outdoor portion, but I can't think of any version of Space Mountain that exists with an outdoor section of track.

13. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Unless you count the canon on DLP's Space Mountain as being "outside".

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  14. Professortango1

It's not outside as it doesn't exit the building, and it's also not a portion of the coaster, just the launch. It still works thematically as you are launched from earth into space. Earth can be daytime or nighttime.

15. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Coasters don't work very well without a launch there it is part of the coaster. I can feel the outside air from the launch therefore outside.

16. Professortango1

You obviously know what I mean and are just trying to dance around it. The launch/breakstation of a coaster is not the same as the actual body of the coaster itself. These take us into/out of the world the attraction is presenting. A themed ride is a narrative. You can choose to start your narrative in the world or bookend it with a transition into the world.

Tron's coaster moment is the equivalent of an animated movie having a random live action sequence 20-30 minutes in without any rhyme or reason to it. Tron is simply not a Disney-level themed attraction. It's a lot of fun and has some phenomenal lighting effects, but the design and outdoor section is very un-Disney as it does break the storytelling.

17. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

I know. I'm just messing with you. :D

18. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

No, it follows a design that is similiar to the Grid. It is not in Grid. You are not in the Grid until after the outdoor portion. I must emphasis this, you never leave the Grid.

The outdoor portion is the process of syncing you to the Grid. The Tomorrowland Station is in the real world. That is the story. It is almost exactly like Paris's Space Mountain that has an outdoor launch sequence.

You can have complaints about the potential placement of the project, but there is a fully logical story progression taking place that you are either unaware of or ignoring.

Here is my write up:
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/replacement-for-tomorrowland-speedway.925386/page-9#post-7628449

This is fact.

Edit: Reading this later it looks a little aggressive. Sorry, I was trying to help navigate through LA traffic when I wrote it; I think I was little stressed! ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    phruby and DisneyIrishGuy like this.
  19. Professortango1

But the queue is clearly themed to be inside TRON. And the awning lights up at night in a TRON fasion. And the portal into the Game Grid is just a plain hole in the side of a flat wall? And how do lightcycles exist outside the Grid?

20. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

There was also a full scale model built at WED in the late 1960's.

[​IMG]

phruby and mandstaft like this.