Tomorrowland Trailer #2

Disneyfanman

The initial reviews are lukewarm. Maybe my expectations are too high due to the Brad Bird factor, but I am a little disappointed in what I am reading. It's still pretty early though.

Travel Junkie

DLR AP’s were given the chance to see the whole movie last weekend. Like the reviews that have come out my feelings on it were well mixed. I felt thematically it was solid.

It has a lot to say about how we view the future. It is pretty critical of dystopian futures and the story revolves around the ideals of viewing the future from an optimistic vs pessimistic point of view.

The plot fell flat and the lead character I thought was poorly developed. It seemed pretty obvious to me that edits were made late in the game that didn’t serve the story well.

Overall I thought it was an ambitious and cool idea that then tried to play it safe when it was executed. I do not have high hopes that will do very well at the box office.

216bruce

DLR AP’s were given the chance to see the whole movie last weekend. Like the reviews that have come out my feelings on it were well mixed. I felt thematically it was solid.

It has a lot to say about how we view the future. It is pretty critical of dystopian futures and the story revolves around the ideals of viewing the future from an optimistic vs pessimistic point of view.

The plot fell flat and the lead character I thought was poorly developed. It seemed pretty obvious to me that edits were made late in the game that didn’t serve the story well.

Overall I thought it was an ambitious and cool idea that then tried to play it safe when it was executed. I do not have high hopes that will do very well at the box office.
I think some of the negative to lukewarm reaction is due to what you mention in your spoiler. There's a lot of folks, mostly younger, who don't have any idea that, at one point, the future WAS viewed this way. It was bright, shiny, positive, upbeat and we could do anything. Heck, we went to the moon with minimal computer tech.
Now, all they've ever seen is the future of Mad Max, robots and technology taking over mankind, dystopian visions of Armageddon, etc. If someone sees nothing but that, plus our sarcastic, ironic, Seth McFarlane-like view of everything today, you are going to get folks who just don't want to 'get it' because it's not cool. God bless Brad Bird for making this film and reminding me of what we CAN do.

Animaniac93-98

Already have my IMAX ticket for Thursday evening. Still looking forward to it, but I'm not surprised it's leaving some indifferent or disappointed.

BuddyThomas

It is currently (as of Tuesday evening, May 19) 66% positive on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a lot better than the 29% rotten that the unnecessary Poltergeist remake has racked up. Both are being released the same day.

Bairstow

It is currently (as of Tuesday evening, May 19) 66% positive on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a lot better than the 29% rotten that the unnecessary Poltergeist remake has racked up. Both are being released the same day.

I'm holding out hope that Mad Max: Fury Road will be able to rise to #1 on positive word of mouth.
It deserves it.

BuddyThomas

I'm holding out hope that Mad Max: Fury Road will be able to rise to #1 on positive word of mouth.
It deserves it.
Fury Road is the best action movie I have ever seen in my entire life, and I've seen plenty. It makes Fast and Furious look like Mary Had a Little Lamb.

BuddyThomas

Mad Max mania...proving my point about why some folks are lukewarm about "Tomorrowland". If you are excited about a future like that, you may not be interested in the other one. Thus, I couldn't give a rat's patootie about Max...not my kind of future.
That doesn't take anything away from the fact that it is an amazing film.

216bruce

That doesn't take anything away from the fact that it is an amazing film.
I'm sure it's very exciting and well-crafted and I have no doubt that you enjoyed it. I'm just saying that some folks are predisposed towards different viewpoints or interpretations of the future or at the very least what they enjoy in movies. I don't go for 'dark' too much as there is plenty of that in the real world. When something is presented as out and out fantasy...ala' Avengers and comic book movies, I'm good with it. When a movie says 'The future, it's gonna be crappy and we are headed towards this.' It ain't my cup-o-tea.
Back in the day, the future looked pretty promising and most sci-fi and fantasy reflected that. Most, not all. Now, it seems to be the reverse. When generations are exposed to a highly bleak future via pop culture, they come to expect and accept that. That's too bad. It's almost like a self-fulfilling destiny. "Well, we are headed this way anyhow, might as well enjoy it."
I didn't care for the original Mad Max series, but a lot of folks loved it. That's cool. To each their own.

prberk

I'm sure it's very exciting and well-crafted and I have no doubt that you enjoyed it. I'm just saying that some folks are predisposed towards different viewpoints or interpretations of the future or at the very least what they enjoy in movies. I don't go for 'dark' too much as there is plenty of that in the real world. When something is presented as out and out fantasy...ala' Avengers and comic book movies, I'm good with it. When a movie says 'The future, it's gonna be crappy and we are headed towards this.' It ain't my cup-o-tea.
Back in the day, the future looked pretty promising and most sci-fi and fantasy reflected that. Most, not all. Now, it seems to be the reverse. When generations are exposed to a highly bleak future via pop culture, they come to expect and accept that. That's too bad. It's almost like a self-fulfilling destiny. "Well, we are headed this way anyhow, might as well enjoy it."
I didn't care for the original Mad Max series, but a lot of folks loved it. That's cool. To each their own.

I feel like Bladerunner, more than the original Mad Max, started this whole bleak-future thing. I hated it then, and I hate it now. It might be well-made film or cinematography, and I recognize that sometime stories are necessarily dark or bleak; but I really appreciate the big adventures like Star Wars and Indiana Jones that have fun and don't dwell always on depressing.

We don't always have to have bleak, cynical, sarcastic, ironic movies. And for that I am encouraged here. Even George Clooney has said as much about why he was drawn to this film.

(Come to think of it, I remember his mother, Rosemary Clooney, overcoming cynicism in her character in the very positive and sentimental White Christmas. But I digress...)

I, for one, am looking forward to the meticulous recreation of the 1964 New York World's Fair, and of the Carousel of Progress' role in the movie. It will be good to hear "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" again!

The movie may also spark debate again about utopian visions, as well, especially of Walt's original ideas that led him to envision an Experimental Prototype City/Community of Tomorrow, and whether it could ever have been achieved as originally envisioned. But nevertheless, it was clear that Walt believed in a bright and industrious future.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I feel like Bladerunner, more than the original Mad Max, started this whole bleak-future thing. I hated it then, and I hate it now. It might be well-made film or cinematography, and I recognize that sometime stories are necessarily dark or bleak; but I really appreciate the big adventures like Star Wars and Indiana Jones that have fun and don't dwell always on depressing.

We don't always have to have bleak, cynical, sarcastic, ironic movies. And for that I am encouraged here. Even George Clooney has said as much about why he was drawn to this film.

(Come to think of it, I remember his mother, Rosemary Clooney, overcoming cynicism in her character in the very positive and sentimental White Christmas. But I digress...)

I, for one, am looking forward to the meticulous recreation of the 1964 New York World's Fair, and of the Carousel of Progress' role in the movie. It will be good to hear "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" again!

The movie may also spark debate again about utopian visions, as well, especially of Walt's original ideas that led him to envision an Experimental Prototype City/Community of Tomorrow, and whether it could ever have been achieved as originally envisioned. But nevertheless, it was clear that Walt believed in a bright and industrious future.

Bleak future has been around for a long time Metropolis back in the 1920s had a bleak future. It's optimism vs pessimism just in general I think that creates the different takes on the furture. People who think the worst vs people who think the best.

prberk

Bleak future has been around for a long time Metropolis back in the 1920s had a bleak future. It's optimism vs pessimism just in general I think that creates the different takes on the furture. People who think the worst vs people who think the best.

That's true. I have actually seen Metropolis, but I do think the bleak-future motif picked up after Bladerunner -- and really only took a break for a while right after 9-11, when few people had the stomach for it for a while. Now it is back, I guess. Except this movie seems to be a look back (ironic in itself) to positive futurism. We'll see.

I know I can't wait to see elements of COP and the World's Fair woven in, too.

RScottyL

I just got back from seeing this and liked it!

As mentioned, there are definitely a couple of references to WDW:

(1) "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is played in one of the opening scenes

(2) It's a Small World

(3) Space Mountain

It's main message is a "save the world" type thing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom