Tomorrowland Review

Sped2424

Look... I'm all for originality and fully embrace it. But that said, I don't believe in praising and applauding mediocre work just because it's original either.
Agreed the film is original and that's great. But at the same time it never got more than a meh from me. Not only that but the story was incredibly flawed. The film is preachy without ever being thought provoking and that's a real issue. The film rambles about many things that plagues our society but it does it in a very superficial manner instead of treating them as complex issues. It's a shallow view of the future and a shallow attempt at trying to kickstart another age of "Dreamers". And it just feels disingenuous by the end of the film. Overall biggest let down yet from Disney.

fractal

I didn't see it - I was going to take my 13 yr old daughter until I read several reviews. Many of the critics took issue with the "creepy/cringe worthy" scene with Clooney and a young girl.

Sped2424

I did not find it creepy. To me it was no different then an adult looking at an old photo of a childhood crush and remembering them fondly.
Naw he definitely still harbored feelings and was resentful at Athena because he thought she didn't reciprocate them. While nothing happens the implications of his feelings for her were rather borderline. For example in many peter pan films when Wendy sees peter after she grows up she looks at him with regret, and a fondness for her past, but never romantic longing. As she still sees peter as a child, the same could not be said for Frank and Athena.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Naw he definitely still harbored feelings and was resentful at Athena because he thought she didn't reciprocate them. While nothing happens the implications of his feelings for her were rather borderline. For example in many peter pan films when Wendy sees peter after she grows up she looks at him with regret, and a fondness for her past, but never romantic longing. As she still sees peter as a child, the same could not be said for Frank and Athena.

I was trying to be spoiler free but since it's out there. I see nothing wrong with harboring resentment for someone who you felt betrayed you. I do not think he still loved her in a romantic way as a man to a girl. It was more a feeling of closure, that he hadn't imagined everything as a child.

Sped2424

I was trying to be spoiler free but since it's out there. I see nothing wrong with harboring resentment for someone who you felt betrayed you. I do not think he still loved her in a romantic way as a man to a girl. It was more a feeling of closure, that he hadn't imagined everything as a child.
Not betrayed, he harbored resentment because he felt she couldn't love him. He stated on multiple times his annoyance that "She couldn't feel anything, just 1's and 0's". They didn't kiss or anything, but the implications were very clear.

216bruce

The scene was also a part of showing how Frank felt betrayed by technology since Athena is a product of that tech. Never felt creepy in the least. Sad, poignant, bittersweet. Frank finally "grows up" and has closure in his relationship and in his worldview.
He, at best, had a childhood crush on her. But, sadly, as the movie points out- things have changed in how we view the world. Nowadays even childhood crushes are suspect and can't be purely innocent. They are seen as some kind of creepy personal "thing". Evidently, since I am closer to Franks age in the movie, I can remember having a 'crush' that never was more than that...having warm emotion without it needing to be 'more' and just generally innocent. Sad.

Ben_since_1971

Original Poster
So far, the audience reception to this movie has been great. Audiences are loving it where critics are bashing it, and I really don't understand where so much hate from the critics is coming from. This is my review right here. I absolutely loved it. I think I need to see it again one more time before it leaves the theaters.

Critics look at every film as if it will be nominated for Best Picture. That, and they are the original purveyors of bashing things for the sake of bashing it.

I liked the movie. I really wanted to love it. But I just felt it left so much on the table in terms of what it could have delivered. That disappointment is what led me to my 'meh' review. From reading some of the other posts (including your review), apparently there was a lot that I missed prior to the movie. The book, the marketing campaign, and apparently some stuff that was in the Japanese trailer ended up on the cutting room floor. If I needed any of that to really enjoy the movie, then the movie was not good enough to stand on its own merits.

Clooney was great. Robertson showed a lot of moxie. But it all could have been so much more. There wasn't enough backstory to drive home all the salient points. As for the Walker-Athena scene, not creepy but in light of what you see in the headlines, the suspicion is understandable.

It was a good movie - it could have been great.

Shaman

The emotional attachment was there, but I don't think it was an inappropriate scene. People are reading too much into it.

Athena (a robot) represented Old Tomorrowland, the one that eventually rejected Frank....He feels more resentment for getting thrown out than he feels about Athena not "loving" him as a kid. Remember, he is banished when he is older. That goodbye scene seemed more like it was between friends than lovers....

FoozieBear

I liked the movie. I really wanted to love it. But I just felt it left so much on the table in terms of what it could have delivered. That disappointment is what led me to my 'meh' review. From reading some of the other posts (including your review), apparently there was a lot that I missed prior to the movie. The book, the marketing campaign, and apparently some stuff that was in the Japanese trailer ended up on the cutting room floor. If I needed any of that to really enjoy the movie, then the movie was not good enough to stand on its own merits.

Fair enough, but like I said in my review, the movie was far off from what the previous marketing was, so to be truly honest it pretty much stands out on it's own. The marketing before only dived into the backstory of the movie and set the stage for something truly spectacular. It was disappointing, especially following the marketing, but I really enjoyed the film overall.

RobUK

Regardless of whether it was creepy or not, it was an interesting concept and one which we will all have different opinions on. That, for me, should have been one of several interesting concepts - several talking points. I also wanted more magic, more interaction between the world's. You can bundle difficult concepts with kiddy magic into the same film and it can work.

I loved the bit when Casey ended up wandering into the lake, when moving in the parallel Universe. I loved the duality of her movement and how it continued between Universes. At the end of Act One the writers could have come up with a concept that got her pin working and then had a series of events that filled act two which displayed her traversing the world's. For example the robots could have chased her to the edge of a cliff in the real Universe, for her to then jump and press the pin as she fell. At which point she was falling in Tomorrowland and gets saved by someone in a spacecraft. A bit far-fetched, yes, but more exciting than what we got.

216bruce

So far, the audience reception to this movie has been great. Audiences are loving it where critics are bashing it, and I really don't understand where so much hate from the critics is coming from. This is my review right here. I absolutely loved it. I think I need to see it again one more time before it leaves the theaters.
It's 'cool' to be cynical, jaded, bored and 'meh' about things that try to be upbeat, imaginative or innocent. Critics need to be 'cool' to be relevant and listened to. It's always been 'cool' to bash Disney; been going on for a loooong time. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the crafting of this film- acting, directing, effects, etc. The story is a little blurry at times and, without a doubt, there is a lot of disbelief to be suspended. But, the biggest issue seems to be the movies POV about things and it's uniqueness or an undefined 'it could have been better' without stating exactly what the problem is. Personally, I think the movie is very good and makes some folks uncomfortable in it's message and POV.

Figments Friend

Saw 'Tomorrowland' again yesterday afternoon....and i have to say it was even BETTER the second time around.
No distractions in the theater ( had the place to myself ) and a lot of stuff i missed the first time around came to light this time.
Really love this movie.
The second viewing made the film seem smoother...and i did not notice the 'slow points' that i felt the first time around.
Might be because i was more focused in picking up things i missed before ( TONS of background eye candy ) but it really gelled together well.
Even Nix's 'monologue' in Act 3 seemed intelligent and smoother..not a 'pause' as it felt before.
Perhaps this is because i already knew what was coming, but it was rewarding.

( possible SPOILERS below for those who have not seen it yet.....you have been warned...)

Nix's admission at the start of the film that he has 'no idea what that means' when a young Frank states that 'anything is possible' is a clue to that characters already present resentment of 'a hopeful future'.

In the flashback sequence shown via the hologram Casey is watching while in Frank's house of his young self interacting with Athena - She actually DOES say to him 'you should just give up' ( relating to Frank trying to make her laugh ) which ties into a possible cause for Frank eventually doing so later on.
He does blame her later in the story for being the one who told him to, but i missed this the first time around.

The 'Monitor' sphere having the unique outer casing similar to Epcot's 'Spaceship Earth'. Nice nod.
Thought i saw it the first time, but it was so quick i thought i might have imagined it.
There are so many parallels to this story concept that line up with the fate that befell EPCOT Center...the simulations are striking to me.
I know i mentioned this previously after my first viewing, but i wonder how many others have picked up on this?
Did the film makers....?
Surely EPCOT Center fans did....if not, you need to go back and see it again.

Animaniac93-98

Tomorrowland had several nice moments, but it wanders aimlessley through its second act, leading to a rushed and exposition heavy third act as if to say "oh no, we only got 20 minutes left!" The movie was poorly structured and as a result the writing was weak at times because the main goal was clearly getting the point across, no matter how blunt or awkward.

It simply wasn't a great movie. Trying to pass off any criticism as the result of biased critics or cynical audiences is laughable, especially when Cinderella (and even Furious 7!) fared so well with both just 2 months ago.

Mr. Scott of the NY Times said it best:

"It's important to note that "Tomorrowland" is not disappointing in the usual way. It's not another glib, phoned-in piece of franchise mediocrity but rather a work of evident passion and conviction. What it isn't is in any way convincing or enchanting."

But, ya know, he's probably just fishing for likes amongst his clique. :rolleyes:

FigmentForver96

Watched it tonight, and honestly I liked it. It was different, fresh, new, and the acting was actually pretty decent. The storyline changing towards the end from "this amazing place for dreams" to "another realm safe from our world" was kind of strange yet they returned to that in the end. The ending scene with Frank and Athena didn't seem like nothing more then a friendship thing....people trying to make this out to be some weird scene only look to be finding something wrong with the film. Overall it wasn't the best piece of work to come out of Disney, but the hate it is receiving from critics is a little exaggerated personally. Sadly it is the poor reviews that it is getting that will probably continue to push Disney to make live action remakes...take the safer road right?

5thGenTexan

We saw it today (Saturday) at 4:00 in the afternoon. The theater while not Star Wars packed had a good crowd. I saw only adults there, there was a gaggle of 12-13 year old girls, then there was us (my wife, my 4 year old and my 6 year old as well as myself). My 6 year old said she liked it, but kinda got bored because it was long. At the end I heard people behind me say it was good and there was a pretty good amount of applause in my theater. I really enjoyed it and didn't notice the time. I am growing really weary of zombies, vampires, and all the rest of the dark brooding stuff that is popular.

Now then, I am not sure if it was intended for people to connect to the story. I am not an expert in all things movies so I don't get all the finer points. I either enjoy myself or I don't when I see a movie. :) I was 10 years old in 1985 the first time I visited Florida. We drove from the DFW area to Florida and spent a couple of days at the Magic Kingdom and a couple of days at EPCOT Center, we spent a day at the beach and visited Cape Canaveral. I loved the whole trip, even if it was the last time we went anywhere before my parents divorced. More importantly I love the days at WDW. My best memories are of visiting NASA that trip and EPCOT Center as well as parts of Tomorrowland. I know you are thinking BS, its just because of the movie, but I am serious. Mission to Mars, the Circlevision presentation, the post show in Space Mountain. All of Future World at EPCOT Center. The vision of what was to come.

I am 40 years old now and really disappointed in the future. As far as I can tell we have gone off the tracks. I don't think we could achieve the success of Mercury, Gemini, Apollo today, NASA has become too risk adverse and the imagination isn't there. Many of the innovations for the home that were showcased at EPCOT came to be, but now society has become a bunch of brain numbed zombies who are unable to function if their phone battery dies. I see people in cars passing me with everyone looking down at their phone, people can't eat in public without their nose in the phone. So, yeah I am 40 and the way I saw the world when I was 10 is gone. The dreams I had back then did not work out. I found out I was not as smart as I hoped I was. I found out a lot of things and it was when I turned 40 and looked backed that I saw it. I will turn 41in two months and I have given up. I don't have dreams any longer. In 40 years I have accomplished very little and I see no hope of me doing much going forward. I am too old to learn anything new. I hope in this movie maybe my kids will have some spark to do more than I did.

Figments Friend

Agree.

I have convinced a lot of friends to check it out solely based on my enthusiasm over the film.
Two of them are now interested in seeing it in IMAX with me, when previously they barely recall having even the slightest previous interest.

The pre-release marketing was quite confusing....nobody knows about what this is supposed to be.
I keep hearing from people i work with say they thought it was a kiddie movie about the Theme Parks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom