Tomorrowland refurb or expansion needed.

dman1373

Original Poster
I am about to go back to disney and was getting ready by watching a walk through of magic kingdom, and i finally realized that all of the lands are greatly themed and are kind of filled out very nicely. The transitions are great as well, untill you get to Tomorrowland. The transition from fantasyland to Tomorrowland is so bad cause not only does it come out of nowhere, but then you've got that speedway, that makes no sense and looks so barren. And then when you walk in more, there is so much unused space. Also there are a ton of tacky cutouts of stitch and mike Wasowski. I wont even get into the rides.

I just feel that after fantasyland, tommorrowland should be next on the tlc.

ImagineerDude

I am about to go back to disney and was getting ready by watching a walk through of magic kingdom, and i finally realized that all of the lands are greatly themed and are kind of filled out very nicely. The transitions are great as well, untill you get to Tomorrowland. The transition from fantasyland to Tomorrowland is so bad cause not only does it come out of nowhere, but then you've got that speedway, that makes no sense and looks so barren. And then when you walk in more, there is so much unused space. Also there are a ton of tacky cutouts of stitch and mike Wasowski. I wont even get into the rides.

I just feel that after fantasyland, tommorrowland should be next on the tlc.
I totally feel the same way...the speedway is usually on average summer days a 30 minute wait. Why is it so "great"? It's an ugly waste of space. The TL at Disneyland is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse as far as facades go. They both dramatically need an update and I think we need a mountain in place of the speedway in which holds Villain's Village, an indoor, always nighttime, land dedicated to Disney villains! You then have to twist through creepy caves and caverns to get to the new Wonderland area of Fantasyland which hosts MTP and a new Alice's Adventures in Wonderland darkride. If you look closely from Wonderland, you will see the Queen of Hearts castle sitting high atop the mt.

I love the Laugh Floor, you should do that even if it has a "cutout". Stitch's Great Escape however, I hate :)

BrerPete

The upgrade they did in 1995-1996 for TomorrowLand was great (I believe because of the theming). I think they need to figure out what the theme is going to be for TomorrowLand first. Too many things competing in a sense. Stitch Escape and Club 626, Buzz, Monsters, and then everything else. I agree with the speedway being out of place and I don't understand the fascination, but there is always a line, and a long one at that. As long as there is NASCAR I believe the TomorrowLand Speedway will have a home.

FettFan

Yeah....Tomorrowland was really set back when they brought in Stitch and the Monsters Inc. crew.

Well...not Stitch, per se (i like the little guy, and the Stitch animatronic is AWESOME).....but the whole storyline was shot to hell. Had they at least kept the XS Tech storyline and the SIR and Skippy pre-show, it would have been much better than the dumbed-down "naughty and nice aliens" crap. Make it more kid-friendly than AE, but don't make it so that adult AE fans would be feeling left out in the cold.

Dr. Femus: WAIT! I've got something.
Spinlock: Boost the power and send it to Earth!
Dr. Femus: Well what if it's not him?
Spinlock: Of course it's him, send him to Earth! Ladies and gentlemen, live and in person, Chairman Clench.
Dr. Femus: Uh, Spinlock, since when does Clench have six arms?
Spinlock: Six arms? (Stitch lets out a growl and starts laughing maniacally) It's an alien!

the-reason14

In comparison to Disneyland, Magic Kingdom has a lot of open and wasted space. Not just in the area the OP speaks of. I think it's because unlike DL, it doesn't need to cram so much into it's space since it has 3 other parks and more if they wanted to build one to put stuff in. I think the transition from TL to FL is fine, but I can't see an issue with giving TL some love. In comparison to the TL in Disneyland, MK's is definitely superior, with a TTA and a better Astro Orbiter not to mention Space mt. But I like the idea of the villians thing, or maybe enclosing the speedway and somehow adding an extra ride near or in the building to tie more in with FL. Who knows, possibilities are endless, but WDW cares more about reserving ride times and crap then spending money on building new things to see.

George Lucas on a Bench

They need to remove the Carousel of Progress, put a bigger arcade next to Space Mountain, keep the planets on Astro Orbiter stationary, keep Stitch and Monsters, Inc., add Duffy, more meet & greets and gift shops, then add Fastpass and next-generation queue to the Peoplemover.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Tomorrowland is a difficult "theme" to keep up with IMHO. 17 years ago, the refurb of Tomorrowland was great! It's time to rethink the possibilities for the next 17 years of Tomorrowland!:)
I agree, perhaps we could go with something like this:
WDW-661_-_Entrance.jpg

FettFan

They need to remove the Carousel of Progress, put a bigger arcade next to Space Mountain, keep the planets on Astro Orbiter stationary, keep Stitch and Monsters, Inc., add Duffy, more meet & greets and gift shops, then add Fastpass and next-generation queue to the Peoplemover.

NOOOOOO. I have to disagree with CoP. Refurb it (since the Christmas Future segment is now outdated by way of the Nintendo Wii), but CoP is one of Uncle Walt's babies and I would never want to see it leave. Might as well get rid of Small World and Hall of Presidents/Mr. Lincoln too.

I agree, perhaps we could go with something like this:
WDW-661_-_Entrance.jpg

Just needs the Eye of Sauron and a BASE jumping Saruman the White.

Avenger117

I would love to see a big Tomorrowland refurb. I like sci-fi, space, futuristic movies, etc, but right now it looks like they'd rather turn it into a pixar playworld than a futuristic themed land. I kind of like the Tokyo Disneyland Tomorrowland.

dxwwf3

The "Future That Never Was" refurb of the '90s was perfect

Every single thing they've done over there since has been a step backward, IMHO.

Yep. I can appreciate the original Tomorrowland and I liked it when I was growing up, but I don't know if there has ever been a more dramatic improvement than what Disney did in New Tomorrowland 94/95. Sometimes it seems like a lifetime ago that when Disney announced they were going to change something, that you had full confidence it would be an improvement. Now when I walk through Tomorrowland, it is honestly very depressing. It's such a wasteland now.

wolf359

Yep. I can appreciate the original Tomorrowland and I liked it when I was growing up, but I don't know if there has ever been a more dramatic improvement than what Disney did in New Tomorrowland 94/95. Sometimes it seems like a lifetime ago that when Disney announced they were going to change something, that you had full confidence it would be an improvement.

Even back during what many consider both a "golden age" and in what so many consider a great re-theme of Tomorrowland all of that elaborate new theming abruptly stops after the Astro Orbiter. I'll agree the entire Avenue of the Planets area is extremely dramatic and getting two new attractions (even if they were clones) was a big improvement but it looks like they spent the entire budget on the front half of the land, leaving the rest to have to get by with a new coat of paint.

Personally, I think the Tomorrowland '94 overlay is a cluttered half-finished mess and I'm pleased to see signs pointing toward a return to a more classic Tomorrowland but it is going to take a full-blown "prehab" to get what's left back to a more cohesive theme. How long that takes with Fantasyland being a big focus for at least the next two years and so much talk about a new Frontierland looming remains to be seen.

Yes, I agree! Oh and while we are at it get rid of stitch and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. I do agree though that Monsters Inc Laugh Floor is enjoyable for little kids so maybe the should move it to PIXAR place in Hollywood Studios!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom