News Tomorrowland love

MerlinTheGoat

I definitely noticed improvements to the general upkeep of Tomorrowland as a whole over the course of the past couple of months. Including my visit last week. Still plenty of work to go, but every little bit is a step in the right direction. They even finally covered up a hole in the ceiling on the Peoplemover that has been bugging me for ages (near the window looking down into the Buzz ride, though their solution is somewhat ugly, not a proper drywall repair but instead a physically protruding plate covering the hole).

The queue to Space Mountain was looking super clean and generally well kept up for the most part (wish I could say the same for the ride itself which has gotten worse over the past few years, I didn't notice any improvements to the in-ride effects). And of course the new exterior paint job and new lighting is lovely and welcome.

The Progress City model needs some love, it's missing a lot of lights on the buildings and vehicles. Doubt it has gotten any substantial attention for years.

The "Igerville" refugee tents or whatever we're calling them are ugly (shame on whoever was responsible for them). I was slightly encouraged to see them vacant during my time in the land, I hope no one is actually stupid enough to waste money on them (hopefully prompting their eventual removal).

The most desperately needed fix IMO is a complete and proper Space Mountain (also currently known to me as Concussion Mountain) refurb, complete track replacement and visual/audio improvement. Do it right, it is many many years overdue. I rode it last week for the first time in years, I don't know if it's unsafe but it certainly feels like it is. Too painful to enjoy anymore for me (they also toned down the thrills substantially).

Last edited:

Monoblanco13

There's a lot more love planned for this land in the coming years. Tomorrowland will be the focus of another overhaul, plussing and adding to.

Possibly.
I love this post though I wish the word POSSIBLY wasn't part of it. I do understand though as plans change which lately seem to have been for the worst, instead of better. Here's hoping good things are to come for WDW!

Mike S

There's a lot more love planned for this land in the coming years. Tomorrowland will be the focus of another overhaul, plussing and adding to.

Possibly.
Still Tomorrowland or are we going the HKDL route here?
I definitely noticed improvements to the general upkeep of Tomorrowland as a whole over the course of the past couple of months. Including my visit last week. Still plenty of work to go, but every little bit is a step in the right direction. They even finally covered up a hole in the ceiling on the Peoplemover that has been bugging me for ages (near the window looking down into the Buzz ride, though their solution is somewhat ugly, not a proper drywall repair but instead a physically protruding plate covering the hole).

The queue to Space Mountain was looking super clean and generally well kept up for the most part (wish I could say the same for the ride itself which has gotten worse over the past few years, I didn't notice any improvements to the in-ride effects). And of course the new exterior paint job and new lighting is lovely and welcome.

The Progress City model needs some love, it's missing a lot of lights on the buildings and vehicles. Doubt it has gotten any substantial attention for years.

The "Igerville" refugee tents or whatever we're calling them are ugly (shame on whoever was responsible for them). I was slightly encouraged to see them vacant during my time in the land, I hope no one is actually stupid enough to waste money on them (hopefully prompting their eventual removal).

The most desperately needed fix IMO is a complete and proper Space Mountain (also currently known to me as Concussion Mountain) refurb, complete track replacement and visual/audio improvement. Do it right, it is many many years overdue. I rode it last week for the first time in years, I don't know if it's unsafe but it certainly feels like it is. Too painful to enjoy anymore for me (they also toned down the thrills substantially).
The projections in Space Mountain as well as the music (I could actually hear it!!!) actually seem much better to me. My most recent ride was around Thanksgiving.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At this point, given the popularity of the overlays at Space Mountain in DL, I would hope a WDW update to Space Mountain would include the things they need to do to make overlays happen relatively easy: Nightmare Before Christmas sleigh ride; Christmas Santa sleigh ride; Star Wars overlay for every month a new SW movies come out, etc...

Rodan75

At this point, given the popularity of the overlays at Space Mountain in DL, I would hope a WDW update to Space Mountain would include the things they need to do to make overlays happen relatively easy: Nightmare Before Christmas sleigh ride; Christmas Santa sleigh ride; Star Wars overlay for every month a new SW movies come out, etc...

I get the impression Jingle Cruise has been pretty popular, so you would think that they would try other seasonal overlays.

Kman101

I get the impression Jingle Cruise has been pretty popular, so you would think that they would try other seasonal overlays.

Agreed. I think it's been said that the overlays Tokyo got for Small World and Haunted Mansion were originally for Florida. I can kind of understand Mansion not getting the overlay but I'm surprised about Small World. And we used to get the Country Bear Christmas (Tokyo still does I believe). You'd think with the Christmas party that these would be no brainers. We just need better management in place.

And I think Space Mountain would need a complete overhaul to really support the overlays but @marni1971 could answer that one better

Rodan75

Agreed. I think it's been said that the overlays Tokyo got for Small World and Haunted Mansion were originally for Florida. I can kind of understand Mansion not getting the overlay but I'm surprised about Small World. And we used to get the Country Bear Christmas (Tokyo still does I believe). You'd think with the Christmas party that these would be no brainers. We just need better management in place.

And I think Space Mountain would need a complete overhaul to really support the overlays but @marni1971 could answer that one better

I forgot about Country Bear Christmas, never got to see it. That would seem like an easy one to encourage capacity at a show that doesn't pack them in like it used to. And I apologize, I know I drifted us off topic.

I think it has been discussed previously that SM needs the big previously planned overhaul to enable the overlays. You would think they would pre-plan overlay capacity into future attractions, like the SGE replacement.

Kman101

I forgot about Country Bear Christmas, never got to see it. That would seem like an easy one to encourage capacity at a show that doesn't pack them in like it used to. And I apologize, I know I drifted us off topic.

I think it has been discussed previously that SM needs the big previously planned overhaul to enable the overlays. You would think they would pre-plan overlay capacity into future attractions, like the SGE replacement.

Agreed (and also sorry about the thread drift) on the Country Bears. And that's why I thought the Small World overlay would be a no-brainer. I'm pretty surprised they still do the Jingle Cruise overlay. Clearly the park survives with the overlay so it makes the excuses for the other attractions null and void IMO, lol.

montyz81

Indeed your videos are indeed amazing and top notch in every technical respect as well.
I agree. They are amazing. I pass the time on my treadmill each morning by watching all tribute videos from @marni1971 to learn as much as I can. I end up with a boat load of questions after that I want to post, but that would be a bit too much. I just try to figure out answers as I go through other videos and by reading all I can in these forums.

Goofyernmost

The problem with extensive overlays at WDW are that WDW is a worldwide resort destination. More people come from all over the world to go there then any of the other parks. Look at the uproar we hear if the damn crane spends an extra week visible around the Castle. How do you think it would go over if Small World or Haunted mansion is closed for a couple of months every year to just put in overlays. They do it in Disneyland because the actual head count there is much smaller on a yearly basis, and many are fairly local so that an attraction that is closed occasionally is no big deal. They will be back next week anyway so they will see it then. I think that Jungle Cruise was a very quick overlay and therefore was not really very disruptive, others wouldn't be like that. Imagine, as so many have pointed out over and over about the castle cake, someone coming from thousands of miles away to see it and it was something different then expected.

I actually had that happen to me on my only trip to Disneyland. I went during the 50th of Disneyland. I really wanted to see two things to see how they compared with WDW. One was PoTC and the other was Haunted Mansion. PoTC was fine, but, HM was closed for the overlay. It opened the day before I left with the Christmas overlay. I was very disappointed because even if I had liked the overlay (which I didn't) I wanted to see the original. I never will because I don't see any scenario that will get me back to California anytime during this life. WDW doesn't lend itself to that stuff. They could do it for Country Bears again, because basically it's still the same show and it isn't all the popular anyway, but, the headliners, would be a major problem for WDW. We always tend to forget that regulars at WDW are a gigantic minority in the overall guest count.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom