News Tomorrowland love

tirian

Yup, and that reason was that they weren't planning any Castle projection show. Any trees planted in the front would have grown and had the opposite affect of making the "castle look bigger", creating an ongoing problem of having to remove and replace them. So it was just because that is the look that they wanted at the time and had nothing to do, over the long haul, with forced perspective.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your responses are historically inaccurate. Many paragraphs have been written about how the early Imagineers used landscaping to enhance the forced perspective of mountains, buildings, and castles at DL and WDW. Typical for the time period, they simply assumed the trees would be replaced when needed.

Remember, most of these men and women had backgrounds in filmmaking; they absolutely understood the need to consider every possible element of thematic placemaking. Nothing was a coincidence.

With today's manicured gardens in the Hub, as well as the projection show (that you can't really see anyway TBH), there's no reason to keep talking about this. Besides, I think I've helped derail the thread quite enough. ;)

Goofyernmost

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your responses are historically inaccurate. Many paragraphs have been written about how the early Imagineers used landscaping to enhance the forced perspective of mountains, buildings, and castles at DL and WDW. Typical for the time period, they simply assumed the trees would be replaced when needed.

Remember, most of these men and women had backgrounds in filmmaking; they absolutely understood the need to consider every possible element of thematic placemaking. Nothing was a coincidence.

With today's manicured gardens in the Hub, as well as the projection show (that you can't really see anyway TBH), there's no reason to keep talking about this. Besides, I think I've helped derail the thread quite enough. ;)
Believe what you want... don't let common sense enter the discussion. However, on one point you are correct... it is time to stop it and so I will.

tirian

Believe what you want... don't let common sense enter the discussion. However, on one point you are correct... it is time to stop it and so I will.
Yet you couldn't resist trolling one more time.

As I pointed out, with today's projection shows, the trees can't be there. And in the early days, Imagineers planted landscaping assuming it would be replaced when needed (Matterhorn, Nature's Wonderland, castles, even SSE).

So I don't see where common sense didn't "enter into the discussion."

And now, back to real life instead of a discussion with someone I've never met.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Not really wanting to carry this on, because the idea that the trees in front of the castle need to return is actually more your personal concept then a necessity. As I have stated multiple times, "real" castles are not generally hidden by trees, they are foregrounded by lush gardens with flowers and fountains, trimmed hedges and pathways. (sound familiar) The thing is that everyone has there own idea of how things should look. There is no right or wrong answer, just whatever will satisfy each persons personal tastes. Me? Either way is fine with me, however, we cannot let ourselves lose track of the idea that all of MK beyond the entrance is a stage. Currently the show includes castle projections that are very popular. Think of it as a situation where the trees are curtains and they have been opened as wide as possible to allow the audience to see the entire show. Because of that, until the projections become boring and no longer work, the trees will not be there.

Everything else that you listed is absolutely correct, at least for now, with the possible exception of the HM, I don't see why that one would matter. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Completely understandable how the trees would affect the projection show and I also agree that there is no right or wrong answer in terms of hub design. (IMO), While the new hub was tastefully designed, the isolated areas created by the fences they have around them detracts from the flow of it all. And by "flow" im not referring to pathways and ease of access. It just feels like small corrals for humans. I feel there was much more of a "fantasy" vibe with the two large trees in front of the castle and all the foliage. I love the projection show, but I would take the original design over the new show simply for the feeling it created.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

As I pointed out, with today's projection shows, the trees can't be there. And in the early days, Imagineers planted landscaping assuming it would be replaced when needed (Matterhorn, Nature's Wonderland, castles, even SSE).
Of course, someone here will be glad to come up with a "concept" where light passes through foliage and wood.

Bocabear

When I was walking around the hub the other day I was thinking... It is just So-o open...and not in a good way...it would have felt vacant if it were not for the teeming throngs of people laying all over the turf areas ... they should have put in more benches.. it looks like a hobo camp...lol

ToTBellHop

Oooo harsh.

But fair.
If I am remembering the exact ordering, the large trees were removed before the projections, due to Wishes being more castle-centric than Fantasy in the Sky. They were replaced with smaller trees (magnolias, I think? That's when the twinkly lights went away). Then they started the new hub project to manage the hoards in the Hub and the bypass that for some reason, since August, is hardly ever open, even during parades. The hub project finished with small shrubs in the hub, and soon thereafter, even they left (too tall for the 2-year olds watching Wishes at 10 pm just about year-round nowadays?). At least we got all those large trees in the periphery with the twinkly lights back.

To their credit, I think the new turrets they built assist in the forced perspective a bit by growing the castle out a bit. The scale of the castle works pretty well for me once I'm in the hub itself. From Main Street, not so much, but then the forced perspective on the buildings themselves still do their job of making the castle seem further away than it is. All told, I find the overall project to be necessary and I do think the hub project righted some mistakes that had been made in the past. If only the lighting towers weren't so obtrusive, but we probably should avoid that can of worms.

For anyone who has been during MNSSHP or MVMCP, the huge hub provides ample viewing for the fireworks you are paying for and allows maximal enjoyment of the perimeter fireworks. Goodness, those fireworks shows have impressive finales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom