Tom Staggs - "MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland..."

TP2000

I think MagicBands work their best in WDW when you are staying onsite at a Disney hotel. That's where the real convenience comes in. But there are so few Disney-owned hotel rooms at Disneyland Resort that it just wouldn't pencil out to install all this infrastructure for a small segment of the Disneyland visitor base. Anaheim Resort District has 18,000 hotel rooms that aren't Disney-owned, plus 2,500 Disney hotel rooms. MagicBands just aren't needed in that environment.

But in WDW, where tens of thousands of hotel rooms are owned and operated by Disney, a MagicBand makes a lot more sense financially and logistically.

Walt Disney World
23,000 Disney hotel rooms
4,700 DVC hotel rooms

Disneyland Resort
2,500 Disney hotel rooms
50 DVC hotel rooms

MagicBands just don't pencil out. Not to mention they already seem like fading technology from 2010. But I'm sure an app-based process that cherry picks the best parts of MyMagic+ from WDW will soon be coming to Anaheim, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Stevek

I enjoy having Magic Band atWDW and it could work at DL. I think with new technology coming out all the time the bands are probably already obsolete so it would make sense not to use them at other parks.
Magic Bands and MM+ would be terrible at DL. FP+...wouldn't really have a problem with it. Really liked the flexibility at WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"But the future of Disneyland will apparently not include MagicBands, a wristband that uses microchip technology to let guests use the bands in place of theme park tickets, hotel room keys and even credit cards. The wristbands debuted at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., in 2013.

Disneyland does not plan to offer the wristbands at the park anytime soon, said Mary Niven, vice president for Disneyland Park.

She said the wristband won't work with Disneyland's guest demographics. Many visitors are local residents who do not stay for long periods at the nearby hotels, where the bands would be used heavily"

englanddg

One Little Spark...
DCL is the next best place for it to go...but that said, I don't see why it wouldn't work well at Disneyland, outside of the fact they prefer their multiple ID and picture ticket system they have now (unless you are AP)...

I give it 5 years or less, and MBs and FP+ and the whole lot will be out there...this is damage control to keep the more rabid fans at bay (this is a wdw centric forum, and if you think WE get rabid about things, you've never seen Disneyland fans riled up)...

CaptainAmerica

DCL is the next best place for it to go...but that said, I don't see why it wouldn't work well at Disneyland, outside of the fact they prefer their multiple ID and picture ticket system they have now (unless you are AP)...
I don't think it's "wouldn't work well" as much as "wouldn't work well enough to justify the cost." It could work just fine, but there's really no need for it. Hotels and dining are a tiny fraction of the Disneyland model compared to WDW.

Last edited:

habuma

This may not be hugely popular, but...

I was very skeptical of MagicBands and MM+ before it came to WDW. But having been to both WDW and DL within a 5 month period, I can say that I found myself wishing I had a MagicBand at DL. MM+ (pre-booking FastPasses) maybe not so much, but the ability to carry my FP selections, hotel room key, and charging capabilities on my wrist would've been useful. As it were, we each had 1 card for hotel room, 1 card for park tickets, 1 card for PhotoPass, and although we could charge using our hotel room card, we usually also had to pull out a drivers license when doing so. And although I felt so retro-cool carrying around paper FPs, that was just one more thing that was stuffed into the pocket at the end of the lanyard.

I don't necessarily want to pre-arrange my FP+ selections 60 days in advance. But walking up to a kiosk and having them assigned to me on a band would be okay. Even then, if they kept the FP system as-is I'd be okay with that. I just want fewer things that I have to pull out of the lanyard pocket all the time.

That said...as my pin collection is taking off, I wonder what people put at the end of the lanyard in WDW if you don't have cards to put in there. Seems silly to have a lanyard full of pins with nothing at the end of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom