Tom Staggs - "MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland..."

JediMasterMatt

Original Poster
For those that don't venture into the wild and read WDW News and Rumors, there comes this golden nugget of information that you can file under "The Best News of the Day/Month/Year" category for DLR:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mymagic-article-from-fast-company-magazine.898234/

"Like Iger, Staggs heralds how MyMagic+ will eventually spread to the other Disney theme parks. But when I press him on exactly what this means, Staggs says the company will roll out "variations on MyMagic+." He explains that this "doesn’t mean the MagicBand will be used in every [park]." MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland in Anaheim, California, because restructuring costs would be too high. Shanghai is expected to have such a high proportion of guests with smartphones, he says, that there wouldn’t be any need to export the MagicBand. A MyMagic+ app could essentially replace it."

While this doesn't mean Anaheim will be exempt from MM+, this does likely mean that operationally, inside of the parks it will be very constrained. I can't imagine FP+ working at all within the gates without the RFID tied to each guest. Granted, they could put them in the tickets; but, that would be a stretch.

GiveMeTheMusic

For those that don't venture into the wild and read WDW News and Rumors, there comes this golden nugget of information that you can file under "The Best News of the Day/Month/Year" category for DLR:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mymagic-article-from-fast-company-magazine.898234/

"Like Iger, Staggs heralds how MyMagic+ will eventually spread to the other Disney theme parks. But when I press him on exactly what this means, Staggs says the company will roll out "variations on MyMagic+." He explains that this "doesn’t mean the MagicBand will be used in every [park]." MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland in Anaheim, California, because restructuring costs would be too high. Shanghai is expected to have such a high proportion of guests with smartphones, he says, that there wouldn’t be any need to export the MagicBand. A MyMagic+ app could essentially replace it."

While this doesn't mean Anaheim will be exempt from MM+, this does likely mean that operationally, inside of the parks it will be very constrained. I can't imagine FP+ working at all within the gates without the RFID tied to each guest. Granted, they could put them in the tickets; but, that would be a stretch.

"MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland in Anaheim, California, because restructuring costs would be too high"

Translation: they'd be useless and no one wants them.

Mickey_777

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

Travel Junkie

The aspects of NGE that we will most likely see at DLR are the interactive elements. We have already seen the beginning’s with Glow with the Show, the WOC wheel challenge and Disney has said all of the new entertainment will very interactive. Apparently they are developing an app for guests to interact with PTN. Ironically this guest interaction with attractions and shows is the part of NGE that has been the least implemented to this point at WDW.

DisneyJoe

I found this phrase very telling:

A MyMagic+ app could essentially replace it."

While it was focusing on Shanghai, it could also be interpreted that once smartphone technology and use is good enough in Orlando and even Anaheim, they could already be considering replacing MagicBands with an app.

GiveMeTheMusic

I found this phrase very telling:

While it was focusing on Shanghai, it could also be interpreted that once smartphone technology and use is good enough in Orlando and even Anaheim, they could already be considering replacing MagicBands with an app.

This is troubling to me about the whole project. We're already at the point where a smartphone app would make more sense than a wristband for WDW. But what about 2-3 years from now? How dated is MM+ going to be then? Is Disney really prepared to keep spending billions on upgrades just so that guests can book Soarin' in advance? I guess we'll find out.

Axoman

So happy to hear this. I think a big part of Disneyland's charm is you just go and do things at your own pace. No pre-planning necessary.

I wish they would either update or create a new Disney Moble Magic app though. I used that on my first trip to Disneyland a few years ago, but it no longer works.

Thumper14

We visited WDW twice last year and the MM+ system was amazing. We had no problems at all. Having our luggage delivered directly to our room allowing us to skip baggage claim, having advance FP, dining reservations, walking straight to our room and bypassing check in, no need for a room key or park ticket and allowing purchases made the magic bands very very nice. Especially when traveling with absent minded young adults who can lose tickets and room keys. I think it is a must for WDW. I had fun buying the bling for my band. As a frequent visitor to DLR, I can see how the MM+ system would be awkward in DLR. But the MM+ would be nice for visitors who are not AP and staying in the DL Hotels. For instance the dining reservation is very nice online now. It would be nice to have advanced hotel check in and advance FP. You do not need bands, per say, there are RFID cards, you can opt for one at WDW. On the early trip, my husband refused to wear a band and opted for the card. On the later trip he wore a band. The band made me feel like royalty or was magic. It literally opened doors!

skimbob

I enjoy having Magic Band atWDW and it could work at DL. I think with new technology coming out all the time the bands are probably already obsolete so it would make sense not to use them at other parks.

cheezbat

And once again WDW is the only resort getting screwed.

(I'm happy for DL though. Even though I live in Orlando I visit DL almost as often...because its so worth it!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom