Tokyo DisneySea to replace StormRider with Finding Nemo Attraction

captainmoch

I understand the complaint that it's another IP-based attraction in the park, but there's still plenty that aren't, and if anything Stormrider was probably the least popular of the non-IP-based ones. I'm sure they'll be able to fit Nemo in the same way they fit Toy Story Mania in.

RandySavage

^As popular as it it is, I don't think Toy Story was very well "fit in."

For me, development at TDR over the last decade has been frustrating and disappointing to witness:
1. Virtually nothing but Kawaii (cute, cuddly, Disney, appealing to Japanese Office Lady) at the expense of originality, uniqueness, non-kawaii: e.g. the Princess exhibit replacing Castle Mystery Tour; Sacharinne, invented re-do of the once true-to-literature Sinbad, (maybe one of the park's top 3 attractions at opening); Removal of Italian Renaissance theme in many Med Harbor shops in favor of Disney Character theme-ing; Stormrider for Nemo; Duffy taking over Cape Cod, etc., etc.,).

The only non-Kawaii development since 2005 have been the Star Tours and Jungle Cruise refurbs (and hopefully the Mystic Rhythms replacement). I get that their audience loves Kawaii and it makes OLC a lot of money, but for me, as an enthusiast of more sophisticated, non-Disney-character-branded thematic design, it hasn't been very fun to watch.

2. In many cases, sub-par Design Integration, which stands out especially in what was at one point (circa 2005) an almost flawless (98%) theme park: TDS.

By Design Integration I mean making a new addition fit into an existing themed environment so as to enhance what was there (DAK's Harambe Theater District is a shining example of DI). The Jasmine Carpets fail at this. In isolation, or in the Palace Section of Arabian Coast, they would be fine. But Arabian Coast was carefully designed to move from the pristine & opulent marble Palace section, through the bazaar and into the dilapidated Sinbad fortress section nearing the wilds of Lost River Delta. Dropping the pristine, "marble" Jasmine Spinner in this area wrecks the established visual story and also damages the theme-ing of nearby Lost River, because it stands out so much when viewed from near Raging Spirits.

While not as egregious as Jasmine Carpets, Toy Story Mania, IMO, is also not great at Integrating in its corner of New York. I think some natural brickwork in its buildings & color scheme would help it be a bit less jarring from its neighbors (Theater and Waterworks). Also, TSM's interior (Andy's bedroom) completely jettisons the Dawn of the 20th-Century theme established so carefully throughout the land. Here I am complaining, and it is the most popular attraction in the park - you see my frustration...

3. The near-future portends more toonification (Nemo for Stormrider) and poor integration (modernish Huey Duey Looey Camp Site in what was supposedly 19th century Frontierland?!) into formerly original areas.

I am excited for the New Fantasyland as that can only improve (hopefully significantly) what is one of the two weakest areas in all of TDR (the other being Tomorrowland). I've read that OLC wanted a pure Arendelle for the 8th Port, but WDI convinced them to call it "Scandinavian" even though it will be Arendelle in all but name. I'm also anticipating this, even though it is toon & kawaii, but have concerns about what it will do with lost jungle sightlines around the Indy Temple.

As much as the popular feeling for years has been "OLC invests wisely in its parks and WDI Asia can do no wrong" (well-deserved by the executive and creative teams that developed TDS but are no longer with WDI or OLC), I'm more impressed by the recently-opened and upcoming American developments than what Japan has been doing or planning. Feels strange typing that...

Last edited:

BrianLo

^As popular as it it is, I don't think Toy Story was very well "fit in."

For me, development at TDR over the last decade has been frustrating and disappointing to witness:
1. Virtually nothing but Kawaii (cute, cuddly, Disney, appealing to Japanese Office Lady) at the expense of originality, uniqueness, non-kawaii: e.g. the Princess exhibit replacing Castle Mystery Tour; Sacharinne, invented re-do of the once true-to-literature Sinbad, (maybe one of the park's top 3 attractions at opening); Removal of Italian Renaissance theme in many Med Harbor shops in favor of Disney Character theme-ing; Stormrider for Nemo; Duffy taking over Cape Cod, etc., etc.,).

The only non-Kawaii development since 2005 have been the Star Tours and Jungle Cruise refurbs (and hopefully the Mystic Rhythms replacement). I get that their audience loves Kawaii and it makes OLC a lot of money, but for me, as an enthusiast of more sophisticated, non-Disney-character-branded thematic design, it hasn't been very fun to watch.

2. In many cases, sub-par Design Integration, which stands out especially in what was at one point (circa 2005) an almost flawless (98%) theme park: TDS.

By Design Integration I mean making a new addition fit into an existing themed environment so as to enhance what was there (DAK's Harambe Theater District is a shining example of DI). The Jasmine Carpets fail at this. In isolation, or in the Palace Section of Arabian Coast, they would be fine. But Arabian Coast was carefully designed to move from the pristine & opulent marble Palace section, through the bazaar and into the dilapidated Sinbad fortress section nearing the wilds of Lost River Delta. Dropping the pristine, "marble" Jasmine Spinner in this area wrecks the established visual story and also damages the theme-ing of nearby Lost River, because it stands out so much when viewed from near Raging Spirits.

While not as egregious as Jasmine Carpets, Toy Story Mania, IMO, is also not great at Integrating in its corner of New York. I think some natural brickwork in its buildings & color scheme would help it be a bit less jarring from its neighbors (Theater and Waterworks). Also, TSM's interior (Andy's bedroom) completely jettisons the Dawn of the 20th-Century theme established so carefully throughout the land. Here I am complaining, and it is the most popular attraction in the park - you see my frustration...

3. The near-future portends more toonification (Nemo for Stormrider) and poor integration (modernish Huey Duey Looey Camp Site in what was supposedly 19th century Frontierland?!) into formerly original areas.

I am excited for the New Fantasyland as that can only improve (hopefully significantly) what is one of the two weakest areas in all of TDR (the other being Tomorrowland). I've read that OLC wanted a pure Arendelle for the 8th Port, but WDI convinced them to call it "Scandinavian" even though it will be Arendelle in all but name. I'm also anticipating this, even though it is toon & kawaii, but have concerns about what it will do with lost jungle sightlines around the Indy Temple.

As much as the popular feeling for years has been "OLC invests wisely in its parks and WDI Asia can do no wrong" (well-deserved by the executive and creative teams that developed TDS but are no longer with WDI or OLC), I'm more impressed by the recently-opened and upcoming American developments than what Japan has been doing or planning. Feels strange typing that...

I am very much in agreement here. I was laughed away when I suggested a year or so ago that OLC investment was absolutely sub par over the last 7-9 years. In fact, WDW (despite what people want to believe for their narrative) has actually been marginally out-investing Tokyo.

Of course, TDR started at a much higher level. Cast, restaurants, guest service etc etc remains leaps and bounds above Florida, but the numbers don't lie. The executives are very forthcoming with the fact for nearly a decade they thought there was no more growth left in their parks. They have completely changed their tune now a days with OLC in 2023, which is wonderful, but the fact remains.

The new plans sound great (although heavy on the Fantasy), but they sure are dragging their feet with actual construction. All told OLC had easily the most stagnant decade compared to all other resorts worldwide.

Now, one minor issue... I'm still of the opinion Sinbad is far better in its redone form than opening day. Far, far, far better. I know @WDWFigment would agree. That may have to do with the order of experiencing the attractions, I've never ridden the original. It's funny how split people are. I've never heard anyone say they like both versions (and they are tonally very different, so that makes sense).

RandySavage

I am very much in agreement here. I was laughed away when I suggested a year or so ago that OLC investment was absolutely sub par over the last 7-9 years. In fact, WDW (despite what people want to believe for their narrative) has actually been marginally out-investing Tokyo.

Of course, TDR started at a much higher level. Cast, restaurants, guest service etc etc remains leaps and bounds above Florida, but the numbers don't lie. The executives are very forthcoming with the fact for nearly a decade they thought there was no more growth left in their parks. They have completely changed their tune now a days with OLC in 2023, which is wonderful, but the fact remains.

The new plans sound great (although heavy on the Fantasy), but they sure are dragging their feet with actual construction. All told OLC had easily the most stagnant decade compared to all other resorts worldwide.

Now, one minor issue... I'm still of the opinion Sinbad is far better in its redone form than opening day. Far, far, far better. I know @WDWFigment would agree. That may have to do with the order of experiencing the attractions, I've never ridden the original. It's funny how split people are. I've never heard anyone say they like both versions (and they are tonally very different, so that makes sense).

Good to get your thoughts. I think new Sinbad is still pretty outstanding due to the art & tech involved. The Compass song grates on me a bit after the sixth refrain. Mainly, I feel theme park attractions get extra points when they clandestinely educate (e.g. authentic Mayan motifs in Indiana Jones; or DaVinci flying machine of Fortress Explorations; or Tom Sawyer Island bringing places from a classic novel to life). The original Sinbad attraction loosely followed - via its animated storybook style - the actual seven voyages from 1,001 nights (which were often dangerous/violent). The giant was a threat that ate Sinbad's crew (original version) versus a friend who they free to sing along with them. I prefer that slightly darker, more authentic edge of the original.

Two thoughts on what might have made this attraction the popular Classic it deserves to be versus the lightly-frequented ride it is: 1. What if it had been built in DLP rather than TDS, where the European audience has a much more affinity for the Arabian Nights stories than apparently the Japanese do? 2. What if it included a small Maelstrom or PotC level drop - a key, light visceral thrill?

RandySavage

Perusing MintCrocodile's always-excellent coverage of the Disney(land) Gallery Exhibits I came across this awesome piece of concept art by Gil Keppler for StormRider when it was initially envisioned as a submarine simulator:
http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/photos/i-DwmFLZx/0/O/i-DwmFLZx-O.png

This pic nicely encapsulates the change in TDS's park-wide Design Direction from then to now:
Stormride then & now.JPG

Greenkai3000

Oh no! I rode Stormrider just once when I was there back in May. I thought it was a bit dated, but didn't think it'd need to become a brand new ride. Well, I hope the Nemo ride will be at least in 3D or more thrilling

Phroobar

I found this piece of concept art. I guess your sub shrinks to size of a fish and you go on an adventure with Dory. Looks like the same stormrider cabin just a new theme overlay.

4639496_tokyo-disneysea-announces-new-finding-nemo_d6c3f9ff_m.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom