Toddler eating off an adult plate?

Britcot

Original Poster
Hi,

I was wondering if the WDWMagic community could help.

Going to the World next August with my wife and DD. DD will be 2 and a half. We will have the DDP and she won't. I keep seeing people saying that children can 'eat from their parents plate'. Can someone explain to me how this works? Do you order and the child gets a separate plate of their own? Do they use their own cutlery? Are wait staff going to be used to this?

I don't know if it's because I'm from the UK but I'm not really sure how it works.

Thanks for the help!

dreamfinder

A child under 3 technically doesn't need pay for a meal. This mostly comes into play at buffets. They won't be charged for the buffet, with the expectation that they are simply "eating off your plate". Just like if you were at home and they wanted your toast instead of theirs, and they grab it off your plate. You can get them their own food, and no one should say anything.
At a non buffet location, they are definitely allowed to share your food. Your wait staff will definitely bring them silverware and probably a plate if you say they are going to share, it's not unheard of. It wouldn't be a separate portion, you would be giving them some of your food. However if they want their own food, and you order them something, you would need to pay for it. So if they want the kid's mac & cheese, you would get charged. Or if they wanted the side salad, ditto.
Since you have DDP and they don't, you would want to pay cash for any extra food you order for your DD and use the credits on your food. Hopefully this helps.

Britcot

Original Poster
That's a great help. I was wondering how it works at places like Ohana as well? I love Ohana but paying for a child seems like it might put me off a little.

dreamfinder

That's a great help. I was wondering how it works at places like Ohana as well? I love Ohana but paying for a child seems like it might put me off a little.

Ohana ends up falling under that buffet style restaurant, and you shouldn't be charged for a child under 3. They really aren't bringing out any food for the child that wouldn't normally come out for you, so there is no extra dish being ordered/needing to be paid for.

RememberWhen

We went when DS was 2 1/2 and it was great! We did lots of buffets because he's always been a big eater. We did order him meals at the regular restaurants because otherwise I would have left hungry. I'm sure the wait staff would happily bring an extra plate and silver for your little one if you decide to share.

WDWDreamer4

At Ohana's they do have a children's menu that you can order off of and they won't charge you. We ate there a few times and my children don't eat the food they serve. Our waitress noticed the kids were not eating and asked if they wanted someone off the kids menu, mac an cheese, chicken nuggets, hamburger, etc. They were very accommodating and we orders a mac an cheese for our daughter who was 2 at the time and were not charged. The bowl was so big we all ended up eating some of it.
All the buffets you can get your under 3 a plate of their own and it isn't an issue. We also got milk for our under 3 at table service and we weren't charged. I always have a bag of snacks for our under 3 cause I know they may not eat what I order. I also carry PB&J around for my 4 year old because she doesn't eat much of anything else. So pulling a little bit of food out of your bag for a child is not a big deal.

DiSnEyF@n

Yup... What everyone is saying is right. It is NOT frowned upon and the cast members are fully aware and accommodating. That's one of the perks of taking children under the age of 3.

carriebeth

We never had to even ask for an extra plate etc. The wait staff always noticed and automatically brought out everything extra we needed...thats how used to it and in tune to it they are!

DisneyFans4Life

Our daughter is 2 and a half and we've never ordered a separate meal for her. In fact...we've never been charged for the milk we order for her, unless I order a milk through a QS, but never at a TS meal.

She's not a big eater, so we typically just give her a little bit of what we're eating.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

We went when my son was 1 year old and 18 months. He LOVES 'Ohana! They brought him his own plate, his own cutlery, a cup with whatever he wanted to drink and even a small cupcake dessert! He loves the noodles the best! Everywhere we went, he just ate off our plate unless their was item I knew he wouldn't eat and then I would order him a children's meal. A few places just brought me something for him and his drink and didn't charge me for a kids meal but other locations did charge me for a meal.

DisneyAubs

With kids who are almost 2 I usually recommend having most of your meals at All You Care to Eat locations--buffets or family style. My son is a almost 2 and he ate tons of food at Cape May Cafe (probably more than his older sister, whinny actually had to pay for! ) it will give you the most bang for your buck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom