Today I Miss....

Chrononymous

Original Poster
I hope this will be an ongoing thread that celebrates great memories and nostalgia for old defunct attractions...and each day you can include a new one, if you wish.

This thread is to celebrate the wonderful things of the past...but also our wonderful memories that are associated with it!

Tell us not only what you miss...but also why!

Paint a picture in words for those of us that share your memory, but also for those who have never experienced your favorites...

I'll go first...as Today I Miss the original version of Pirates of the Caribbean.
I have nothing against the current incarnation, and I do love the films, and Capt. Sparrow is hot...BUT

Remember how the fort/entrance used to look?
Was it my imagination that there were more trees around, or at least more shade?
There was a foreboding feeling before you entered...and the wonderful parrot above the entrance that talked and squawked and sang "yo ho yo ho...a parrot's life for me!"

My favorite part of the ride was the talking skull just before the boat went "sploosh" I loved his voice...sort of seductive and wary and warning you of what was to come...but you didn't notice the short dip...or see it coming in the dark, being too busy focusing on what he was saying.

I remember the pirates being a darker ride...more thrilling, more...piratical, and a little less Politically Correct, I think.

I had always loved pirates(in general...not just the ride)...at a time when pirates weren't really a cool thing, and didn't have so many movies and merchandise and costumes that make teenage girls look much much older.

simking

Yes its funny how simple things are now not politically correct now and censored,I thought maybe when the ride opened or even in the 80's it would have been an issue.not now seems 2 steps forward 40 steps back people are too serious. politically correctness is killing everything.

wiigirl

.... politically correctness is killing everything.

True Words!

75.gif

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Today I miss...

I have been thinking about Kitchen Kabaret all day today...I can't get the "Boogie Woogie Bakery Boy" pout of my head.

I had nothing against the remakeover of Food Rocks (other than, you know...it was lame) But the original Kitchen kabaret was a wonderful nostalgic and elegant show.

Ok...so it was for a nostalgia of a very early vaudeville type production, and even I am not old enough to actually remember anything of it's time (except, perhaps the original Muppet Show) But years later, after researching and doing vaudeville...I have come to really and sincerely appreciate what this show was.

And it was cute, and clever...and everything I had always wanted the Country Bears to be.

Sad that they updated it...and then had to get rid of the whole "singing food" concept altogether because there was no longer any "food groups" to speak of.

But watching this show again on old video just makes me deliriously happy. The upbeat songs are perfect examples of their genre, with fun and clever lyrics...and the jokes are predictably corny.

And I don't care. I just love it.

How about you? What do you miss today?

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Awww...that's sweet.

the Mickey Mouse Review is the only original Disney world attraction that I never saw. :(

Wish I could have...it looked really cool...much more fun and upbeat than CBJ

Figgy1

Premium Member
I hope this will be an ongoing thread that celebrates great memories and nostalgia for old defunct attractions...and each day you can include a new one, if you wish.

This thread is to celebrate the wonderful things of the past...but also our wonderful memories that are associated with it!

Tell us not only what you miss...but also why!

Paint a picture in words for those of us that share your memory, but also for those who have never experienced your favorites...

I'll go first...as Today I Miss the original version of Pirates of the Caribbean.
I have nothing against the current incarnation, and I do love the films, and Capt. Sparrow is hot...BUT

Remember how the fort/entrance used to look?
Was it my imagination that there were more trees around, or at least more shade?
There was a foreboding feeling before you entered...and the wonderful parrot above the entrance that talked and squawked and sang "yo ho yo ho...a parrot's life for me!"

My favorite part of the ride was the talking skull just before the boat went "sploosh" I loved his voice...sort of seductive and wary and warning you of what was to come...but you didn't notice the short dip...or see it coming in the dark, being too busy focusing on what he was saying.

I remember the pirates being a darker ride...more thrilling, more...piratical, and a little less Politically Correct, I think.

I had always loved pirates(in general...not just the ride)...at a time when pirates weren't really a cool thing, and didn't have so many movies and merchandise and costumes that make teenage girls look much much older.
Just packing my Figment pack so today I really miss the original Journey into Imagination the one ride on property that could go back to the 80s and still be fresh today.

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Today I can't stop thinking about the Original Journey into Imagination.

For me, it wasn't just about Figment(though I admit he's a pretty cool Disney character) but the whole attraction(as well as pavilion) had a kind of intensity, that was whimsical and innovative and beautiful, and a little bit frightening, and utterly imaginative.

And like nothing else I have seen since it was decimated and turned into a kind of one note joke.

It began with the line to get in...it was always such a short line...because of the omnimover, you could get on it right away.
And I don't know about anyone else...but there was always a kind of feeling of trepidation for any ride, where you don't see where the exit is. People get on...but you don't see them get off...was a nifty mystery.

I loved the old fashioned mural on the wall. Although I never realized it at the time, it represented each part of the ride, and took you through what imagination is, and can be. The mural reminded me of certain illustrated Disney books I had as a kid (those big different colored hard covers, from the 60's)when they took the traditional animation look, and made it look more like a storybook.

The Dreamfinder was actually my favorite part of the ride. His vehicle was the coolest looking science fiction thing I had ever seen, and even in my 13 year old brain, I was trying desperately to figure out how that whole scene worked...(wait, there's only 4 cars here...but it's a continuous loading ride!) I had to go on Carousel of Progress, the same trip before I figured it out! And I was so proud of myself.

I think that was the first time someone said I was going to "ruin the magic" if I had to constantly know how something worked. 3 decades later, and I am still insatiably curious about how these things are done, and the magic is still as alive as ever.

The iridescent room was so pretty, and huge...I just remember how I wanted that carousel in my room! (I later recreated a tiny version with acetate sheets, pearlescent paint and iridescent tissue)

I think the fact that that ride seemed to massive and huge to me was part of the wonder and joy. Even SSE, didn't seem quite as epic as JII. Everything was so tall and the props so big...it felt as expansive as my own Imagination!

And then there was the ImageWerks upstairs. The best was getting there early, just as Epcot opened, when you pretty much had the whole thing to yourself. It made it a little creepy in a way, because the lighting was dark in some places. I loved the rainbow tunnel, and the lights on the floor that made sound effects. And I remember starring in a blue screen play, that was ridiculous fun.

The very first real 3D movie I ever saw was Magic Journeys, and it was mind blowing. I realize now, that it barely had a story, and was all about the cheezy 3D effects, but I can't watch a 3D movie nowadays without remembering it fondly. I just saw the Hobbit yesterday in stunning 3D ...and still my mind goes back to that first encounter with the technology.

I think it really was my favorite ride on that entire trip. And it was my first to any Disney park. As a 13 year old I was pretty jaded about Epcot and the whole educational aspect of it...but Imagination caught my Imagination and never ever let go.

I miss it terribly...but I have some pretty great video of it, plus Martin's videos to console me, Mostly.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Today I can't stop thinking about the Original Journey into Imagination.

For me, it wasn't just about Figment(though I admit he's a pretty cool Disney character) but the whole attraction(as well as pavilion) had a kind of intensity, that was whimsical and innovative and beautiful, and a little bit frightening, and utterly imaginative.

And like nothing else I have seen since it was decimated and turned into a kind of one note joke.

It began with the line to get in...it was always such a short line...because of the omnimover, you could get on it right away.
And I don't know about anyone else...but there was always a kind of feeling of trepidation for any ride, where you don't see where the exit is. People get on...but you don't see them get off...was a nifty mystery.

I loved the old fashioned mural on the wall. Although I never realized it at the time, it represented each part of the ride, and took you through what imagination is, and can be. The mural reminded me of certain illustrated Disney books I had as a kid (those big different colored hard covers, from the 60's)when they took the traditional animation look, and made it look more like a storybook.

The Dreamfinder was actually my favorite part of the ride. His vehicle was the coolest looking science fiction thing I had ever seen, and even in my 13 year old brain, I was trying desperately to figure out how that whole scene worked...(wait, there's only 4 cars here...but it's a continuous loading ride!) I had to go on Carousel of Progress, the same trip before I figured it out! And I was so proud of myself.

I think that was the first time someone said I was going to "ruin the magic" if I had to constantly know how something worked. 3 decades later, and I am still insatiably curious about how these things are done, and the magic is still as alive as ever.

The iridescent room was so pretty, and huge...I just remember how I wanted that carousel in my room! (I later recreated a tiny version with acetate sheets, pearlescent paint and iridescent tissue)

I think the fact that that ride seemed to massive and huge to me was part of the wonder and joy. Even SSE, didn't seem quite as epic as JII. Everything was so tall and the props so big...it felt as expansive as my own Imagination!

And then there was the ImageWerks upstairs. The best was getting there early, just as Epcot opened, when you pretty much had the whole thing to yourself. It made it a little creepy in a way, because the lighting was dark in some places. I loved the rainbow tunnel, and the lights on the floor that made sound effects. And I remember starring in a blue screen play, that was ridiculous fun.

The very first real 3D movie I ever saw was Magic Journeys, and it was mind blowing. I realize now, that it barely had a story, and was all about the cheezy 3D effects, but I can't watch a 3D movie nowadays without remembering it fondly. I just saw the Hobbit yesterday in stunning 3D ...and still my mind goes back to that first encounter with the technology.

I think it really was my favorite ride on that entire trip. And it was my first to any Disney park. As a 13 year old I was pretty jaded about Epcot and the whole educational aspect of it...but Imagination caught my Imagination and never ever let go.

I miss it terribly...but I have some pretty great video of it, plus Martin's videos to console me, Mostly.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! But Figment is still my favorite

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Today I miss EPCOT...the experimental prototype community of tomorrow.

I miss all the optimism of ALL the attractions.
I admit the first time I went there, I was a teen, a little jaded, and didn't care as much about "educational" rides, or tiny countries.

On the first trip, everything sort of blended together...and I couldn't distinguish Horizons from SSE, or Italy from Germany.
To be fair, it was the very first Disney park I had ever experienced in person, and I think I was mighty overwhelmed just at the sheer size of the place.

Later, I went back with my Mom, and we decided to see EPCOT first , and I took her to see Captain EO as her first Disney experience.

When I got to take my boyfriend(now husband) for his first Disney trip, we hit EPCOT first as well. And we both distinctly remember him falling asleep during the UoE, and upon waking...he had this amazing idea for engineering an energy highway where car's friction would create power to light up the neighborhood.

Everything about Futureworld seemed just on the cusp of happening. Everything about the park sparkled with a feeling of newness and "can do it" attitude. And then we lost Imagination...literally. Along with WoM, Horizons, a SSE that seemed relevant as well as historical, WoL, real people in the Land, all that great inspiring music and everything that seemed to be about wonder and innovation.

Now, I go there for half a day. There just isn't anything to ride that interests me. I don't want thrills, or fast cards, or vomit-inducing space travel. I don't want dumbed down narrations, and budget cut attractions.

I don't want Apathy.

I want Hope.

And a feeling that we, as a country, as a people...as humans... can still do great things.

Is that too much to ask for?

AllyInWonderland

Today I miss EPCOT...the experimental prototype community of tomorrow.

I miss all the optimism of ALL the attractions.
I admit the first time I went there, I was a teen, a little jaded, and didn't care as much about "educational" rides, or tiny countries.

On the first trip, everything sort of blended together...and I couldn't distinguish Horizons from SSE, or Italy from Germany.
To be fair, it was the very first Disney park I had ever experienced in person, and I think I was mighty overwhelmed just at the sheer size of the place.

Later, I went back with my Mom, and we decided to see EPCOT first , and I took her to see Captain EO as her first Disney experience.

When I got to take my boyfriend(now husband) for his first Disney trip, we hit EPCOT first as well. And we both distinctly remember him falling asleep during the UoE, and upon waking...he had this amazing idea for engineering an energy highway where car's friction would create power to light up the neighborhood.

Everything about Futureworld seemed just on the cusp of happening. Everything about the park sparkled with a feeling of newness and "can do it" attitude. And then we lost Imagination...literally. Along with WoM, Horizons, a SSE that seemed relevant as well as historical, WoL, real people in the Land, all that great inspiring music and everything that seemed to be about wonder and innovation.

Now, I go there for half a day. There just isn't anything to ride that interests me. I don't want thrills, or fast cards, or vomit-inducing space travel. I don't want dumbed down narrations, and budget cut attractions.

I don't want Apathy.

I want Hope.

And a feeling that we, as a country, as a people...as humans... can still do great things.

Is that too much to ask for?
Amen! :p

Chrononymous

Original Poster
I know I've already posted on this thread BUT I JUST REALLY MISS TAPESTRY. :(

Tapestry of Nations was so poignant, and beautiful!
I remember seeing the first parade on tape, and the second version live.
As a puppeteer myself, these sorts of things really inspire me!

Again...Tapestry was one of those amazing things at EPCOT that brought a sense of Community even more than IASW. And it brought Joy and Hope too. The music was fabulous too.

Even if they never ever bring it back...I feel they should at least bring back something like it.
I don't recall when WDW stopped having wonderful parades, but I never waste time watching any of them anymore (even my beloved MSEP is crappy now)
I think if they had something along the lines of Tapestry, I would go to Epcot just to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom