To pack or buy when arrive??

juniorlilly

We are flying down Wednesday morning!! Initially we have been planning to purchase things like laundry soap, shampoo/conditioner, ...snacks...when we get down there..as to not have that extra weight to carry - and with them being liquid - just easier not to go there?.
I wondering if there are any 'regular' stores around disney anyway..? And do they hike the prices up because they know we will pay..

We were going to buy an umbrella stroller for if we go to Sea World one day - but since we decided just to rent at DW everyday - might as well there too. Just easier -

Should I just pack everything and check it at the airport - I understand no liquids for the carry on.

Thanks,
Lill

3 More Days!!!!:D

mouselvrmom

we actually packed a lot of things in a separate suitcase, snacks, laundry detergent etc., then when we came home we had an entire suitcase for souveneirs.:) The stores at the resorts do have sundries, but they can be more expensive, so as long as you have an extra suitcase you can check it makes sense to bring it with you.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

oh, i forgot about the umbrella strollers. we have rented and last year we brought our own & that was way more convenient. so for the long walk from the park to your resort etc, you still have a stroller instead of just leaving it at the park gates.

Upvote 0

natalia1681

I would pack them and bring them with you. Save that money for souvenirs! If you don't want to have to pack large amounts of stuff, why don't you go to your local value store and pick up travel sizes? Saves some space and your $:wave:

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

I second packing the second suitcase full of that sort of stuff...most airlines allow two suitcases per person anyway, why not use that extra room? Also, in all of the hotel gift shops, they have a fairly rugged looking collapsible umbrella stroller in black and red for I think $40. You can always buy it for the week (it ends up being cheaper then renting every day!) Then hand it off to another family checking in on your last day. Pay it foward!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We always pack them (we drive down), but if you want to save the space then just stop by WalMart, Publix or any of the other stores on the way into WDW. I really like Publix, they are clean, reasonable and even their brand name stuff is quality.

I'm not a local, but I'm sure somebody will chime in as to which is the closest. Some of the car services even have shopping stops built into their packages.

Upvote 0

juniorlilly

Original Poster
Really about the stroller!! $40 is less half of what we would be paying - the only umbrella strollers I have seen around here are cheap(looking) and $15 or somewhat expensive for the purpose at $115ish. What you have described sounds perfect. I hadn't thought about the walk out to the rental car from the parks.

Packing our odds and ends sounds like a good one too - with that extra room on the way back for our souvenirs. My husband was saying something about mailing stuff that won't necessarily fit - to ourselves - lol... before I was sure on what to do. Makes sense and glad to hear what others do as well.

So the only thing I will need to actually go the store for when we get there is for some 'mini' fridge stuffers...

And that rugged stroller u were talking about...I will checking that out for sure!!!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0

reptar77

We always bring our own laundry detergent and other supplies. The All mighty bottle is great for travel and I have found numerous travel laundry bags and baskets. We travel by car so bringing our own water is not a problem but you can purchase water at BJ or Publix right outside of Disney property.

Upvote 0

swimmom

Just a packing suggestion. Don't put all your heavy items in one suitcase. Most airlines now have weight limits, and I have come real close to them on several occasions. I don't even use my largest suitcase for air travel anymore because it will most likely go over the weight limit unless I pack lots of fleece type cloting in it with no jeans. There is nothing worse than getting to the airport and finding out that one of your suitcases is over the limit and having to redistribute in the airport! Or paying the fee to let it go over the weigh limit.

Upvote 0

WDWCP

Just a packing suggestion. Don't put all your heavy items in one suitcase. Most airlines now have weight limits, and I have come real close to them on several occasions. I don't even use my largest suitcase for air travel anymore because it will most likely go over the weight limit unless I pack lots of fleece type cloting in it with no jeans. There is nothing worse than getting to the airport and finding out that one of your suitcases is over the limit and having to redistribute in the airport! Or paying the fee to let it go over the weigh limit.

Yeah, my wife and I found that out the hard way. We had been to WDW a few times before and decided that it would be easier to just have the two of us pack in one really big suitcase instead of 3 smaller ones. My wife has a really bad back and I don't like her carrying or handling suitcases of any size or weight, so one big one sure makes it easier for me.

Anyway, the airline charged us a really heafty fee since the one bag was too heavy. Kinda crazy since I would have been allowed to take up more space in the plane cargo area and have more weight by filling up to 4 suitcases, but instead I tried to make it easier for most involved and I got hit right in the wallet for it!

The only valid reasoning I see for the charge is that the airline employees may need to take more care with the bag as to not injure themselves since it gets heavy.

Upvote 0

DisneySam

The weight limit is in effect that's for sure. They even weighed my carry on which was pretty heavy. Just made it on that one!

There is a Publix on the way and a Walgreens in Kissimmee near the Gaylord.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Are you planning on renting a car, or using DME?

There's some pertinent info about this in Ehrlinger's (sp?) Unofficial Guide to WDW. If you're renting a car, OR using a private car service (many of which will include one extra stop on the way to WDW in their cost of the car), your best bet would probably be the Publix, which I think is very close to the Downtown Disney entrance to WDW. Their prices are supposedly in-line with most products in any other supermarket; certainly no price is really jacked up to the point of being cost-prohibitive. And if you're using DME, you can always get a cab to take you to a market after you arrive (if you can tear yourself away from WDW once you are on-property. I believe some local markets, for an additional fee, will have someone grab and bag the items you want if you send it to them beforehand, so you can just go pick it up and immediately split

There is one other option, which, while a little more expensive, will save you time and grief. Buy the items you'd like to have at your room tonight or tomorrow, and FedEx them to the resort of your stay, addressed to you. Except the snacks, probably not wise to pack them with cleaning supplies, bring those with you. The resort will hold your package for you if it arrives before you do (best to call and let them know ahead of time) How much is an overnight FedEx package? If that price, plus the cost of the items, seems reasonable to you (or the grief you're spared makes it worthwhile), that might be your easiest solution.

Upvote 0

Nicole

I like to buy the Tide tablets for travel detergent. Because they are not liquid I don't worry about them spilling in my suitcase. They're individually measured so I just open one pack and put them in.

If not you can find a grocery store without too much trouble, we asked at the check in desk one time and were given simple accurate directions.

Usually though we take everything with us so we don't have to waste fun Disney time in a supermarket.

Upvote 0

swimmom

I like to buy the Tide tablets for travel detergent. Because they are not liquid I don't worry about them spilling in my suitcase. They're individually measured so I just open one pack and put them in.

Ditto on the detergent tablets. I had a hard time finding them one year, but now the Target near me always have them in the travel sized toiletries section. I throw a few of those and a few dryer sheets in a Ziploc bag and I'm set. Now if I could just find a fairy to do the laundry while I'm on vacation!

Upvote 0

juniorlilly

Original Poster
Going tonight to buy those tide tablets or some dry powder to pack in individual double bagged ziploc's.

With having paid full price for my 4 years old, in airfare, she is also allowed 2 checked bags - making that 6 total for us - so I got all the soaps and shampoo's packed in a third bag.

My friend brought over a stroller and with comparing it to the one I went out and bought yesterday - which I am returning today :D - found out it is a better fit - looks more comfortable - her legs all the way to her kneecaps are supported - unlike this maclaren I got - aren't friends great:sohappy:
Its a bit more cumbersome but worth it - and its FREE!!!

I was reading on Delta that strollers don't count as a checked item, right.. even so - I think we are only taking 3 pieces of luggage maybe 4....

I am seriously thinking about taking a dramamine(sp?) now...because I am getting SUPER ANXIOUS!! First time flying - and well.......then DISNEY:sohappy:

(We got a flight/hotel/rental car package/ - so we will have wheels)

Upvote 0

rcapolete

strollers are not considered luggage as they are checked at the gate as you get ready to go on the plane this way the little one can chill out in it while waiting for the flight.

Upvote 0
JuniorLilly, if you are going to rent a car, there are many "regular" stores in the WDW area where you can purchase necessities. WDW is bordered on the south by Hwy 192 which has many such stores. The most prevalent grocery/general store in the area seems to be Publix. There is a Publix on Hwy 192 just west of WDW near the Orange Lakes resort. But don't go there: rather, continue to follow Hwy 192 to the west another couple of miles and just before the interchange of Hwy 192 and US 27 there is another Publix on the right side of the highway. Its prices are noticeably less than the store closer to WDW.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Kind of OT, but I was planning on packing an extra suitcase with non-perishable snacks in it that we can eat in the hotel room at night.
I have never stayed in a Disney resort, so I gotta ask: are there microwaves in the food courts of the value resorts? We're staying in ASMovies and it would be nice to bring boxes of microwave popcorn or mac and cheese to snack on in our room.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

If not you can find a grocery store without too much trouble, we asked at the check in desk one time and were given simple accurate directions.

Usually though we take everything with us so we don't have to waste fun Disney time in a supermarket.

Ditto on the detergent tablets. I had a hard time finding them one year, but now the Target near me always have them in the travel sized toiletries section. I throw a few of those and a few dryer sheets in a Ziploc bag and I'm set. Now if I could just find a fairy to do the laundry while I'm on vacation!

They still make them? I haven't been able to find any detergent tablets in my area.

I'm going to have to go to Target and see if they still have them. Thanks

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Popcorn?

Kind of OT, but I was planning on packing an extra suitcase with non-perishable snacks in it that we can eat in the hotel room at night.
I have never stayed in a Disney resort, so I gotta ask: are there microwaves in the food courts of the value resorts? We're staying in ASMovies and it would be nice to bring boxes of microwave popcorn or mac and cheese to snack on in our room.

When I was at ASMovies last year, I remember seeing a microwave in teh food court seating section, on the counters that run behind the back of the pool bar. In addition, they would have to, since I remember seeing microwave popcorn for sale in the general store.

I know for sure that Pop had a microwave, as I was nursing and bottle feeding and specifically asked about one.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom