To Drive or Fly, That is the Question.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Hello All! I'm planning a trip for my daughter and I to WDW in October and I want to get your opinion on whether it's a better idea to drive or fly there. If her dad comes with us I know that it's most likely (permitting gas prices don't drastically change) cheaper to drive then it is to fly, however it's about a 16 hour drive.I have gotten to WDW both ways before and while I don't mind spending the extra money to fly, I like the convenience of having my own car there so if we decide we want to do something non Disney for a day we can, as well as being able to bring anything and everything we could want to bring. However, I also like the idea of flying so that I don't have to be in a vehicle for that amount of time. I know that there are several different companies that have transportation from WDW to Universal if we decide we want to go there for a day, but I just don't know what is my best option. What are your suggestions?

SeanWM48

depends on who you are and what you plan on doing. we do not venture outside disney property when we go so the plane makes sense. we get in that 'bubble' and stay there until the bus takes us to the airport.

personally i would not want to lose a full day or so traveling by car. i would also not want to put that kind of wear/tear on my ride, plus gas money/food/hotel would make the trip almost as expensive as a plane ticket. but if you were traveling in a bigger group (we travel just us 2) it is probably cost effective to a certain point.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We're a family of 4 even when gas was $4 a gallon and stopping for a night it was cheaper to drive. We had the time and we loved having our own car. We didn't worry about what we bought and how it would have to be shipped, we were also able to go to the outlets and grocery stores whenever we wanted. Next trip we are driving again for the same reasons, but we always have at least 2 1/2 weeks of vacation time so I think it would come down to how much time do you have to spare.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I think that's where my main concern is right now. My daughter will be starting kindergarten in September and I'm planning a trip for October. Unfortunately that's the first time I'd be able to get her down and she really wants to do MNSSHP so I figured it'd be perfect. So much to think about. If we fly we'd probably do Southwest so that we could have 2 checked bags each so that I don't have to worry about how we're getting stuff home, but still.

jaklgreen

We always fly. We live in NE so it would be a 24 hour nonstop drive. Since it would take 2 days each way, adding those extra 4 days just for travel is not something we are willing to do. Not sure I would do it with a 16 hour drive either. I like to get there and start my vacation. Plus I would not want to add the mileage/wear and tear on our car either. We always fly SWA also. Unless you are really strapped for cash on this trip, it would be worth it to fly IMO.

SAV

We drove down to Florida from Chicago this past July after flying down the past 12 years. We saved over $700 by driving vs flying(Gas, Food, Hotels). It did cost us 2 extra days of travel, though. Personally, I have more time than money, so it was an easy decision. And I was honestly surprised at how much the kids(14 & 10) loved the drive down. The wife surprised me too.

I also loved that I could pack whatever I wanted and not have to worry about a bag weight limit.

The next trip we take, probably 2017, I'd be shocked if we didn't drive again.

KikoKea

Eh, we live in Hawaii so driving isn't an option! We use Sunstate Transportation to pick us up at the airport each time we go since we don't leave the parks; if you stay at a resort (other than the military resort Shades of Green) you can use the WDW bus. But, if you plan to see more of the area, you'll want your car.

One thing to consider is flying vs time driving. If you can plan it so that you arrive in the afternoon, you'll have the evening to resort hop, visit DS, have dinner, etc.

Nastory4

depends on who you are and what you plan on doing. we do not venture outside disney property when we go so the plane makes sense. we get in that 'bubble' and stay there until the bus takes us to the airport.

personally i would not want to lose a full day or so traveling by car. i would also not want to put that kind of wear/tear on my ride, plus gas money/food/hotel would make the trip almost as expensive as a plane ticket. but if you were traveling in a bigger group (we travel just us 2) it is probably cost effective to a certain point.
Agreed. I don't like the idea of losing a day (or two) traveling. we always fly and rent a car at the airport. There are always good deals and it does not take to much from our budget. Also, we love the fact that we get around much quicker in air conditioning then waiting for a crowded bus.

Nastory4

We have also been known to grab a taxi parked outside the parks to get back quicker as well. Need to walk to the Contemporary when at MK though.

YozhikRoth

For our last trip in 2010, we drove from Long Island to WDW in two days, stopping over in NC. Including gas, tolls, food and a hotel, it was a considerable savings vs. Christmas week flying. Leaving Long Island by 5am, we were able to avoid most of the crippling traffic bottlenecks from NY to DC, and arrived in NC by lunchtime. The next day, there was a bit more traffic, on account of leaving at 7:30, and we got to Orlando by 4. IMO the drive down is far easier because everyone is amped to be going to Disney, the drive back can be quite a slog. For my trip next month, I was able to secure a low-enough fare that driving wasn't worth it.

R W B

I would probably fly if it was a 2 day trip. Driving 16 hours straight isn't safe, theirs a reason why CDL truck drivers aren't allowed to do that.

It's only 10-11 of drive time for us from New Orleans so we always drive. We leave between 5-7am and take our time, we stop when we want to and I enjoy the drive. We usually get there between 7-9pm. This last trip I figured it out to only be 11 turns from my driveway to the resort check in lot (excluding gas/food stops) lol.

Last edited:

Nastory4

I would probably fly if it was a 2 day trip. Driving 16 hours straight isn't safe, theirs a reason why CDL truck drivers aren't allowed to do that.

It's only 10-11 of drive time for us from New Orleans so we always drive. We leave between 5-7am and take our time, we stop when we want to and I enjoy the drive. We usually get there between 7-9pm. This last trip I figured it out to only be 11 turns from my driveway to the resort check in lot (excluding gas/food stops) lol.
How many right compared to left turns, LOL?

wdisneyw2000

We drove from near Altoona Pa. First 3 trips was with adults, but still the freedom of bringing the cooler snacks whatever we want to bring & take home always was cheaper for us. Now with split extended families, with 3 children, still much cheaper. The drive isn't bad. October at WDW was great for us. If Hubby goes then you have 2 drivers but it does depend on what's best for you & your family.

jaklgreen

I wish I lived close enough to be able to make the drive in a day. Definitely would make more trips if I could just drive there. Anything under a 10 hour drive I would have no problem driving over flying. I would probably still watch for cheap fares and fly if I came across one.

Raineman

The family and I are driving down for the first time in a month from southwestern Ontario, Canada. We considered doing the non stop trip, but we are going to take a couple of days instead, leaving on a Friday night, stopping around Dayton, OH, stopping around Atlanta the second night, and rolling in to WDW Sunday afternoon. We would have flown, but we want to visit Savannah, Ga. and Nashville on the way home. After that, I'll have a pretty good idea on if I would recommend driving ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom