To Drive 301 or Not To Drive 301?

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Hey all,

When we went to WDW in 2008, it was our first trip with our first kid. We opted to take the Autotrain, and drove down 95 to get there. Our most recent trip in 2010, we drove straight down, but we stayed on 95 as much as possible and got PUMMELED with DC traffic. We drove at night thinking it wouldn't be so bad, but they were doing construction. We had an hour of inch-by-inch traffic, got to drive about a mile and a half at regular speed than ANOTHER hour of inch-by-inch traffic.

So the next trip, again driving, we're thinking about trying to bypass much of the DC traffic by going down 301 through Annapolis, La Plata & Bowling Green before getting back on 95. We will still do most of the driving overnight.

Now we've driven 301 once or twice before (I can't remember which, god I'm old). And I remember it being fairly quick, fairly quiet. Probably not as fast if we drove through DC with no traffic, but good luck having no traffic in DC.

But from what I'm reading, it seems like 301 is far more developed than it was 7 or 8 years ago when we used it last (or, used it first). Which makes me think, even late at night, it's going to be a lot of stop-and-go due to stoplights.

Has anyone used 301 to bypass 95 recently? Is it fairly well developed? Am I misremembering and it was ALWAYS that well-developed? Did you think it was worth it to avoid 95 through DC? Yea or nay?

tahqa

301 has been built up tremendously between Upper Marlboro and the Nice Bridge (over the Potomac). Also, there is ongoing construction at the Nice Bridge with temporary lane closures and alternating traffic. Personally I would take 95. Check construction reports and maybe go 495 around the north side of DC.

disneyfan56

We have taken 301 for the past six years for our annual trip down to Disney. We have found that it is the same length of time as taking 95, but with fewer hassles and a lot more relaxing for us. There are also many convenient options for stopping if needed, ie, well-populated WaWa's.

We leave from NJ too, so timing is everything. We tried leaving mid-afternoon on a Friday, but getting over the Delaware Memorial bridge could be a nightmare. Also we choose to get off on Rt 1 to 13 to 301 and go through DE, MD and VA. Rush hour traffic through DE was stop and go at times. We connect again with 95 just below Richmond from the 295 loop.

We now leave Ocean County about 6am on Saturday morning and love not having to deal with rush hour traffic in any state. If you leave NJ after 10pm, it should be smooth sailing. Have fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom