To cruise or not?

Beachmomma3

Original Poster
Thinking of trying a 3 day cruise this summer. We do WDW every year and wondering if we should mix it up a bit. My son uses a wheelchair, so I'm a little nervous to veer out of my comfort zone. We probably will not take advantage of the kids area, so not sure if it's worth the $5000 price tag. But, would love to see something new. Any opinions welcome:)

ChuckElias

Hi momma,

If you're interested in trying a cruise, even if you're not sure, I'm going to recommend doing it. Your son's wheelchair use will not be an issue. Since you already love the parks, you're going to LOVE the cruise. The level of service you'll receive is phenomenal, the quality of the entertainment is fantastic, and the facilities available to both kids AND adults are amazing.

It may be a little out of your comfort zone, but I honestly think (since you're already big Disney fans) that you will love your cruise experience. I have never cruised with a person who used a wheelchair, but I think that won't be a problem even if your son decides to participate in the Oceaneer's Club.

Bolna

On my last cruise I noticed quite a few people in wheel chairs (and not just elderly people using ECVs because they might still be able to walk short distances, but not long ones). I remember one young adult who seemed to have a great time with his family. So, I don't think it would be a problem!

Are you sure that a 3-night cruise would cost 5000 $? That seems very high to me!

Beachmomma3

Original Poster
On my last cruise I noticed quite a few people in wheel chairs (and not just elderly people using ECVs because they might still be able to walk short distances, but not long ones). I remember one young adult who seemed to have a great time with his family. So, I don't think it would be a problem!

Are you sure that a 3-night cruise would cost 5000 $? That seems very high to me!

@Bolba , I was surprised by the cost too. For a family of 5, leaving Port Canaveral leaving Aug 7 for 3 nights is $4700. We are very limited on our dates bc my son plays baseball literally all summer and now that he's in high school we cannot take them out of school for vacation.

tink66

3 nights for 5,000 does seem high. Keep checking back for discounts. Not sure were you live but the offer great rates for florida and Georgia residents aswell as military. Try a cruise for sure!!!

DisneyJoe

@Bolba , I was surprised by the cost too. For a family of 5, leaving Port Canaveral leaving Aug 7 for 3 nights is $4700. We are very limited on our dates bc my son plays baseball literally all summer and now that he's in high school we cannot take them out of school for vacation.
The family of 5 is the challenge for pricing. How old are the children? How many?

FYI, prices would drop greatly if you could go later in August and use 2 inside staterooms, with 1 adult in each.

Last edited:

Bolna

Oh, I see where your problems are: restricted to the most expensive time and needing a stateroom that fits 5 people. One option might be to get two inside staterooms (which would also give you more space in total) than one 4D which seems to be the lowest category available right now. I would suggest to find a travel agent that specializes in Disney trips (there are several ones to be found online, Kingdom Konsultant is one of them and is a sponsor of these boards, but I have no personal experience with them) as they will be able to help you find the best option for your needs.

However, in my opinion, if you can't get the price down, a 3-night cruise is not worth 5000 $. It will be over before it started. See it this way: for the 70 hours you will be on board, you pay 1000 $ each. Even with all the free food and soda this is just far more than I would ever be willing to pay. Especially if I knew that about half of what I am paying is not for the experience, but for the date. Ultimately, everyone has different priorities. So, you really have to figure out if it is worth it for you? Is there a chance that in a few years time you will be able to be more flexible with regard to dates, etc.

MaryJaneP

Kinda hard to come on a DCL forum and ask if DCL fans would recommend a cruise. Of course, we are inclined to do so, as an experience. Your information about the physical challenges and financial challenges you face provide an opportunity for further evaluation. In general, we would say yes to cruise at some point. However, now may not be the opportune time in light of what you have said.

Beachmomma3

Original Poster
3 nights for 5,000 does seem high. Keep checking back for discounts. Not sure were you live but the offer great rates for florida and Georgia residents aswell as military. Try a cruise for sure!!!
@tink66 , is there a certain time of year that discounts are given? I live in Mo.

Beachmomma3

Original Poster
Oh, I see where your problems are: restricted to the most expensive time and needing a stateroom that fits 5 people. One option might be to get two inside staterooms (which would also give you more space in total) than one 4D which seems to be the lowest category available right now. I would suggest to find a travel agent that specializes in Disney trips (there are several ones to be found online, Kingdom Konsultant is one of them and is a sponsor of these boards, but I have no personal experience with them) as they will be able to help you find the best option for your needs.

However, in my opinion, if you can't get the price down, a 3-night cruise is not worth 5000 $. It will be over before it started. See it this way: for the 70 hours you will be on board, you pay 1000 $ each. Even with all the free food and soda this is just far more than I would ever be willing to pay. Especially if I knew that about half of what I am paying is not for the experience, but for the date. Ultimately, everyone has different priorities. So, you really have to figure out if it is worth it for you? Is there a chance that in a few years time you will be able to be more flexible with regard to dates, etc.
@Bolna , thanks for your opinion. It helps to see others perspective.

Beachmomma3

Original Poster
Kinda hard to come on a DCL forum and ask if DCL fans would recommend a cruise. Of course, we are inclined to do so, as an experience. Your information about the physical challenges and financial challenges you face provide an opportunity for further evaluation. In general, we would say yes to cruise at some point. However, now may not be the opportune time in light of what you have said.

@ MaryJaneP These kinds of replys are why I do not post questions often. I don't think the OP insinuated any negative feelings towards a cruise and I don't feel we have physical or financial challenges. I simply thought experienced cruisers might shed some light on the value of the cruise if we didn't take advantage of the kids clubs. I also thought someone might have experience w cruising w a family member in a wheelchair. I appreciate the opinions I received:)

Disneyfalcon

Cruise pricing isn't that dependent on ages. The first 2 in a room are charged one rate and then the others get charged another.

Your room type and the date are the bigger factors.

Joe is correct. There is a minimal change ($50ish) when the children are under a certain age, but that's not the biggest factor here.

Hi Beachmomma, Some of the things included in your cruise fare: your stateroom accommodation, almost all of your meals (adult dining is an extra fee, and select room service items extra fee), entertainment- nightly theater show- a shortened version of a Broadway show, a movie theater with first-run movies, Character Meet & Greets, sail away party, fireworks at sea.... The list goes on. It is easier to list the things that are an extra charge.
Then there is Castaway Cay- Disney's Private Island. With beautiful clean beaches- snorkel, swim, water slides, rent a float or bike, run/walk a 5k on select dates, BBQ lunch, walk or tram ride to & from the ship.
You will find the wonderful Disney service that you enjoy in a more relaxing Disney environment.
If you would like a few options, please email me and I can put together a quote with several options for your family. I just sailed in Oct. on the Wonder with a 19year old who had never cruised before. After being a little nervous the first day, she ended up enjoying the cruise more than our other family vacations because there were so many things to do for everyone. Also, we have our Family Cruise that Kingdom Konsultant is sponsoring on June 22, 2015. There is also a weekend at WDW before the family cruises that may be added. If you would like to talk, please email me at betsy@kingdomkonsultant.com.

flynnibus

Premium Member
3d for 5k? I think you'll be disappointed in the return.

3 day is like the 1 day park ticket. Fun, but overpriced and not enough of an experience.

For comparison.. I leave next week for 7 days with 5 people for a bit over 5k.

StageFrenzy

I would also like to add a PSA, the open door and close door button on the elevator actually works. It is a lifesaver if you plan to use the elevator a lot

Bolna

Thanks everyone. So, are there seasonal discounts w the cruiseline like w WDW Resorts?

There are not really seasonal discounts as such. Generally booking early will give you the best rate as prices get higher the more the ship is being booked. Also, prices in general are seasonal. School holidays are far more expensive than when school is in session. Generally September, November, early December, January and February seem to be the most affordable months.

There are three main types of discounts:

1) the restricted fares, these are called IGT, OGT or VGT or sometimes together *GT. These mean that you book just a general category of stateroom, IGT is inside, OGT is ocean view and VGT is veranda. You usually don't get your stateroom number until a few days before the sailing. They usually are offered only after the pay in full date for that cruise, so usually less than 90 days before the sailing. They are used to fill up a ship that still has staterooms left over.

2) Florida resident discounts and Military discounts. There is no real rhythm as to when they are released, but usually also around that pay in full date. They are often better than the *GT rates and you get to choose your stateroom.

3) Onboard booking discounts. These are only available on the ship, so won't help you with your first cruise. They are generally a 10% discount of the cruise fare (not the taxes, port fees etc. portion), on longer cruises of 7 nights or longer you only pay a 10% deposit instead of the 20% deposit and you get an onboard credit to use on the new cruise, 100$ for shorter cruises, 200$ for longer cruises. You need to go on that new trip within 24 months of booking it onboard. I always recommend to at least book something while onboard as you can move that booking as often as you want to within those 24 months and keep all the benefits. As long as you cancel before the pay in full date, there is no penalty if you decide to not make use of the reservation and cancel it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom