To change stateroom or not....

Disneymom201

Original Poster
My family of 5 (Disney sons 16, 12 & 3 & hubby) will be sailing on The Magic in October for a 4 day cruise. We are currently booked in 2 separate side-by-side inside state rooms, category 11B, 5th floor.
We sailed The Dream two years ago in a verandah. Initially I thought 2 seperste rooms would be best for getting ready & showering. Plus my oldest stayed out WAY later than us....lol!
At the time of booking there were not any connecting or side-by-side rooms with a porthole. Now I am second guessing and think I would like to be in a verandah. Should I spend the $1200 to upgrade?
Thanks for your input:)

sissa216

That's a nice dilemma to have! :)

You'll have a bit more space with your current rooms. You'll have two showers this way, but if you move to the verandah, you'll have that split bath like you had on the Dream. I don't believe any of the category 11s have a split bath- so while you'll have one less shower, you'll still have the 2 split sections to get ready.

It's really hard to pass up the verandah! I think it will all come down to how much time you'll spend in your room, and for what purpose. With 4 nights, do you think you'll spend much time in your room, enjoying the verandah? Or do you think you'll appreciate being able to separate a bit more for sleeping? The 16 or 12 year old might appreciate having their own bed from the second room too.

The other thing I would consider is the location. Is location and convenience important to you? On deck 5, you're going to be near either the forward or aft elevators/stairs, and close to theaters and dinner. Would you rather find a verandah stateroom closer to the midship elevators, or be on a higher deck?

Disneymom201

Original Poster
That's a nice dilemma to have! :)

You'll have a bit more space with your current rooms. You'll have two showers this way, but if you move to the verandah, you'll have that split bath like you had on the Dream. I don't believe any of the category 11s have a split bath- so while you'll have one less shower, you'll still have the 2 split sections to get ready.

It's really hard to pass up the verandah! I think it will all come down to how much time you'll spend in your room, and for what purpose. With 4 nights, do you think you'll spend much time in your room, enjoying the verandah? Or do you think you'll appreciate being able to separate a bit more for sleeping? The 16 or 12 year old might appreciate having their own bed from the second room too.

The other thing I would consider is the location. Is location and convenience important to you? On deck 5, you're going to be near either the forward or aft elevators/stairs, and close to theaters and dinner. Would you rather find a verandah stateroom closer to the midship elevators, or be on a higher deck?
Thanks for your response. Sometimes reading puts things into perspective. I should stick with our initial plans. No, we didn't spend a ton of time on our verandah, but morning coffee was awesome there!!! I think I'm most concerned about not having any natural light. My current thoughts may contribute from living in NWPA and having a terrible winter.

sissa216

Thanks for your response. Sometimes reading puts things into perspective. I should stick with our initial plans. No, we didn't spend a ton of time on our verandah, but morning coffee was awesome there!!! I think I'm most concerned about not having any natural light. My current thoughts may contribute from living in NWPA and having a terrible winter.

I agree- having a verandah is so lovely! Maybe for a longer cruise it would tip the scale a bit more towards it. We recently did a short cruise/week at WDW- and I wished I had more time to sit out there and enjoy it.

I know how you feel about the natural light- especially after this winter!! But if you're really only sleeping and getting ready there, you'll still enjoy plenty of sunshine when you're not in the room :)

216bruce

My wife always insists on a verandah but we actually spend very little time there as there's just so much to do on and off the ship. If the cash isn't a big problem, then by all means, yeah, it's worth it. At sea, you can see the sea (?!) from anywhere and docked it depends on what you can see from your side of the ship. We've had some great views on port and starboard and some pretty ugly ones too. That also depends on the port.
In summary, it's a nice add-on but not crucial at all to enjoying the cruise unless you are claustrophobic. Then, maybe it would be.

jaklgreen

I have never stayed in a room with a veranda so the porthole/ inside rooms are great for us. And you do get natural light with a porthole. I actually like not having a window or veranda because of the light. We like to sleep in and it is so much easier without the sun in your eyes. Since you are only doing a 4 night cruise I am not sure that I would switch. I would put that money down on my next cruise.

cbettua

I think for one it depends on your lifestyle and two I would recommend a verandah for places I haven't seen before. Like the Mediterranean, Hawaii etc. For us, we have two toddlers and the portholes are great. They can sit in them and watch the waves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom