To be come an Imagineer

NowInc

Re: Re Imagineer

Originally posted by MonorailBlack
Hey NowInc, question.......

I just graduated with a Bachelors In Architecture, and minor in Hopsitality Management. I am looking to Masters, what do you recommend for Imagineering. I am thinking computer graphics or graphic arts. Let me know. Thanx.

Well...as I have said..it doesnt matter what you do, they probobly have a job for you...As a computer Animator/graphic artist, I can tell you that we are a dime a dozen now...So personally I wouldnt waste my time getting the masters...

You may want to look into some history of architecture classes etc..a good background knoledge of that kinda stuff is usefull even if you ARENT an Imagineer.

You shoud apply, you have nothing to lose...

NowInc

Originally posted by Chad
Hey, thanks Now Inc! You are a great guy

No problem..I love to be of help..I just happen to know a bit about this particular topic..so I am just sharing the wealth ;)

HorizonsMan

i was down at usf not too long ago, and i talked with the professor of industrial engineering and he told me that in the past they have worked side by side with disney and imagineering to help plan ride layout s and some other items, anyone have any info on this?

NowInc

Originally posted by HorizonsMan
i was down at usf not too long ago, and i talked with the professor of industrial engineering and he told me that in the past they have worked side by side with disney and imagineering to help plan ride layout s and some other items, anyone have any info on this?

I heard about that too, but I dont think its the same thing as interning. Mostly because they were actually doing WORK, as opposed to getting coffee...heh...

I dont remember how many years ago it was however, and last time I spoke to someone at USF they said they have very few ties with Disney...

I should of mentioned this earlier::

What you want to DO should help you decide where you schould go to college...WDI florida doesnt do the same things as WDI california...

They have a few "offices" nationwide...with each one doing different things. The computer animation "central" office is in FL, but the main ride development and testing area is in CA.

So depending on what you WANT to do..should be where you should aim for schooling...

Chad

Yeah..I know..I know...

But A move from Florida to California would be waaaayyyyy too drastic for me...Mt ENTIRE family (grandparents, uncles..cousins...) live within an hour of me, that sort of seperation would be REALLY hard on me..Thats why I wanted UCF, not to far from home, but close enough so I can WORK at Disney, hopefully make some connections at WDW, then, at the end of College, Intern in either california, or the smaller florida office...

I'd still Imagine that the IMagineering office in Florida has to be pretty big, I mean, WDW is HUGE...I don't know why it isn't based there..yes I do, cause Eisner hates me..Nevermind, answered my own question.

NowInc

Yeah..I know..I know...

But A move from Florida to California would be waaaayyyyy too drastic for me...Mt ENTIRE family (grandparents, uncles..cousins...) live within an hour of me, that sort of seperation would be REALLY hard on me..Thats why I wanted UCF, not to far from home, but close enough so I can WORK at Disney, hopefully make some connections at WDW, then, at the end of College, Intern in either california, or the smaller florida office...

I'd still Imagine that the IMagineering office in Florida has to be pretty big, I mean, WDW is HUGE...I don't know why it isn't based there..yes I do, cause Eisner hates me..Nevermind, answered my own question.

Well...I moved from NY to Florida..13 states away from pretty much everyone i knew...it was hard..but i got used to it..and im still here.

As for your California concerns...the WDW office is quite large...but its not the MAIN office. As i said, every office does different things...but that doesnt mean that its EXCLUSIVLY in that state (for example..the majority of the computer animation department is in FL, but they still have a few of them in Cali)...

I say first be concerend with college..get contacts..and then try your best to apply. They VERY rarely will hire anyone without a minimum 5 years experience..so right out of college...its not gunna happen anyway.

Good luck!

Chad

I wasn't expecting a job right out of college...I'm VERY naive, but not THAT naive...

Anyways..What should I be concerned with in a college?

NowInc

I wasn't expecting a job right out of college...I'm VERY naive, but not THAT naive...

Anyways..What should I be concerned with in a college?

Well..what do you want to do? I assume you want to do concept designs?

If so, you may want to look into Architecture, illustration, creative writing, story telling, layout....things of that nature...

Enigneering will put you in a room with junk parts, but no creative freedom really...so Id stay away from that....

Sheri

Originally posted by NowInc

Calarts
Ringling
Ohio State University (I THINK)
Conneticut school of the arts (Again..not positive)
And the school I went to..but I wont say the name because I would like to avoid anyone getting suckered into going to that POS place ;)

Hey Now you spelled my state wrong :p

I had 2 point that out :)

Imagineer

Architecture

I am new to these boards so bare w/ me!

I am currently an Architecture major at Texas Tech University. Just to let everyone know, I am inspiring to become an Imagineer and chose Architecture as a way to do that. I chose Architecture becuase it is the creative side of design. Basically for anyone who wants to know anything about an Architecture degree feel free to ask me. Anyways, from what I have learned from different research and a few e-mails to Imagineers the best advice to become one is become very good at ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY! Imagineers have one task and only one task so that they can master every aspect of the design and so that nothing is over looked. Do NOT try to master many aspects of design. For example, don't try to get an art degree and an engineering degree. Do one or the other. However, it is pretty much required to have a Masters. This goes triple for Architects and Engineers, for you can not become certified w/o a masters. I don't know about Engineers but for Architects you must intern w/ a firm for at least 3yrs after receiving your masters and pass a series of tests before becoming certified and being able to work under your own name. It is a long hall but you do learn a large amout of stuff and become very good at what you do. Personally, I would suggest Architecture to anyone who thinks w/ the right side of their brain. It is very artsy (more than I thought but I love it!). Also, anyone thinking they can't draw or is not good w/ a computer or can't work w/ their hands, you will learn trust me! However just to warn anyone, it is a very intense major but also very rewarding.

Now, the whole intern w/ disney thing is a lot more simple then it sounds. First off, you must do the College Program. This is where you go and actually work for the park. While in the program NET WORK!!! Yes you can get into the Imagineering offices during your stay at Disney! Next, you apply for an intern for Imagineering that applies to your major. Here you get even more connections and slowly work your way into the business. To do either of these programs your college does not have to be affiliated w/ Disney directly. Just visit a campus that has a presentation and then interview and your in. However it is very competitive. Good luck to everyone and look forward to posting more on these boards!

NowInc

Hey there Imagineer! Glad to get someone elses imput on this topic...

I see you too have done your reasearch and I couldnt agree more. Majoring in ONE thing is the best route. WDI requires you to have at least 4 (Maybe 3 depending on your major) years of WORKING experience in order to be considered for employment. However...that all changes if you did internships/college programs with them.

Also..as you pointed out..CONTACTS. Those are the most important things in ANY industry...networking goes a long way...and without any help..it is near impossible to get considered by WDI.

I majored in Computer animation (minored in Architecture) and I made a few contacts, but I am still a good 2 years away from having the minimum amount of experience..but I am taking this time and building up a good list of insidered at WDI that will help push me in the door. Hopefully when the time comes, it will be a painless process that will be worth all the effort I am putting towards it.

Hope to see you there Imagineer!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom