Tips on going with small kids?

s&k'smom

Take an afternoon break! We've been taking our kids since they toddlers and we always go back to the hotel in the afternoon for a rest, swim at the pool, sometimes just to chill in the room and watch tv. Even now the kids are so used to it that they know after lunch we go back to the room and they love to swim so it works out well. We have snacks in the room, my daughter may draw (it's her thing!) my son has sensory issues so the chill time keeps him nice and calm. We head out again around supper time totally relaxed and rested.

Weather_Lady

It depends on your children and your schedule. On our first visit with the kids (ages 4 and 6), they had no trouble walking at all and we went happily stroller-free. We toured from rope drop to lunchtime every day, went back to the hotel for naps/swimming, and then returned to a park from about 4pm-8pm. (Average travel time for us between PORS and any park was 30-40 minutes, including waiting at the bus stop, give or take 10 minutes). Because we had a good touring plan, arrived at rope drop and weren't "burning the candle at both ends" by staying up late -- until the last day when we stayed up for "Wishes" -- we got to see just about everything in all 4 parks in 6 days, and no one got tired or cranky, or had a meltdown. Still, my children are both tall for their age, on the hyperactive side, and very physically fit, and we all were getting a good, solid 45-60 minute nap every afternoon, so our ability to go stroller-less was probably largely attributable to those factors.

awheartsdw

We took our daughter on her first trip at just over 3. We got an umbrella stroller from Target. She sat in it to rest, but didn't make it mandatory. We told her if she was tired, she could rest in the stroller and we would push her. She often ended up sitting on my husband's shoulders and would rest her head on his (she actually fell asleep this way a few times), or we would carry her if she became cranky-but the stroller was always there for those just in case moments. We ended up doing a lot of park touring morning until night without breaks at the resort, but she would end up taking a nap during a show. I would say umbrella stroller. This way you don't care about what happens to it when you return home. Ours became the stroller for all of our daughter's dolls. Either way, good luck and worse case scenario, you can rent a stroller if you're DESPERATE for one. If you were considering the cost of renting a car or renting car seats, I could justify the cost of the stroller rental over those two things.

The bus rides shouldn't be too bad but remember it can take up to an hour to get to a different park.

For the stroller, I would say just bring one umbrella stroller. The 6 yea old should be fine to walk most of the time and the 3 year old will want to be in the stroller.

I would strongly suggest the umbrella stroller! It'll be easier in terms of transportation. I would also strongly recommend getting a little crafty and making a bow or something to identify your stroller as yours. Trust me it'll come in handy. Last bit of advice, don't be afraid to go back, or find attractions like Carousel of Progress/Hall of Presidents, to relax and take naps!

DiSnEyF@n

We weren't planning on renting a car as thought with the shuttle from the airport and buses/monorails (we will be staying at the Grand Floridian) we didn't need one. Is it really worth it for getting park to park vs buses? If so I'll put it back on the list!

I've never used our car. We park it at the hotel and don't look at it again until we leave. If you're going back to your hotel anyway mid day then you will be going to one park in the am and then another in the pm. It will not take you an hour. There is something about not driving in my car and using Disney transportation that makes me feel even more submerged in Disney awesomeness!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom