Tips on bringing DSLR cameras to the Disney Parks

traylorc

Haha I admire you. I think my girlfriend would be ed if I was lugging that all around. Not that I would want too

I'm pretty lucky...my wife's attitude is "if you want to carry that much stuff...then go right ahead". Which makes sense, because what I'm carrying doesn't impact her enjoyment of the parks. Plus...my wife realizes that photography is important to me. When I return home, and get a chance to review / process my pictures...it makes carrying my equipment around the park worth it. The last thing I want is to do is find myself in one of the parks thinking "man I wish I would have had my wide angle lens", "I really wish I brought my ND or CP filters", or "I really should have brought _____".

Besides...the bag I use is not really bulky considering all the stuff I carry. I have no problem carrying my bag on any of the rides.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'm pretty lucky...my wife's attitude is "if you want to carry that much stuff...then go right ahead". Which makes sense, because what I'm carrying doesn't impact her enjoyment of the parks. Plus...my wife realizes that photography is important to me. When I return home, and get a chance to review / process my pictures...it makes carrying my equipment around the park worth it. The last thing I want is to do is find myself in one of the parks thinking "man I wish I would have had my wide angle lens", "I really wish I brought my ND or CP filters", or "I really should have brought _____".

Besides...the bag I use is not really bulky considering all the stuff I carry. I have no problem carrying my bag on any of the rides.

Can I see some of your favorite photos that you have taken?

PhotoDave219

Lately when I'm in the parks, I'm bringing one camera & three lenses in a small bag. I dont want to carry everything and I don't want to be questioned... like the dumbass with a 300/2.8 did on SWW.

NowInc

For me its one body, 3 lenses (4 if im aiming for a particular shot). Zoom. prime, wide. Covers all the bases I want at WDW and once youre pretty familiar with the parks, you can easily plan ahead what lens you will want to be using at a particular time.

...I didn't count the fact that I am also carrying a tripod, filters, my tablet (for gps tagging), etc etc... If it fits in/on my sling bag..it goes with me

OrlandoMatt

Obviously the most important thing is to guard it's safety from theft. I usually just have my Canon S110 pocket camera and it's not an issue, but if we have family with us or I just feel like bringing my Mark III with it's giant lens, you get a lot of looks and let's be honest - it's very tempting and easy for the right person to walk off with it. Don't get wrapped up in the happy vibes of the place - DSLRs get stolen all the time. When it's on me it's not a big deal, but when it's in the bottom of the stroller when we walk around or whatnot, I'm always aware of it's location and I never turn my back on it for long periods of time, and I usually put the strap through a clasp or something so if you do grab it - you're going to draw a hell of a lot of attention to yourself. Nothing will ruin your trip faster than leaving the park with your love lost.

Ariel484

I also have a t3i and 3 lenses, but lately I've been picking a lens for the day and bringing that one with me...no bag, no tripod. I sort of have the camera strap over my shoulder with my camera at my hip and I can just swing it around to take a picture.

My biggest tip is to keep lens hoods on your lenses, not only for flare but also for protection. Keeping the hood on has saved me a few times whenever there are lots of people around!

Also, don't get so caught up in taking photos that you miss out on experiencing your trip. :) I've had that happen in the past and it's something I'm working on for the future...coming back with photos I like but still actually experiencing everything fully, not just through my lens (if that makes any sense).

NowInc

Obviously the most important thing is to guard it's safety from theft. I usually just have my Canon S110 pocket camera and it's not an issue, but if we have family with us or I just feel like bringing my Mark III with it's giant lens, you get a lot of looks and let's be honest - it's very tempting and easy for the right person to walk off with it. Don't get wrapped up in the happy vibes of the place - DSLRs get stolen all the time. When it's on me it's not a big deal, but when it's in the bottom of the stroller when we walk around or whatnot, I'm always aware of it's location and I never turn my back on it for long periods of time, and I usually put the strap through a clasp or something so if you do grab it - you're going to draw a hell of a lot of attention to yourself. Nothing will ruin your trip faster than leaving the park with your love lost.

I always say its a good idea to put your gear on here as well :https://www.lenstag.com/

OrlandoMatt

Ariel that's such a good tip! Forget lens flare... having a hood on that can knock and bump into everything is a life saver!

NowInc That's a great post, I wasn't even aware of them. I'll be signing up for sure. (Also it's a great idea to write down your serial numbers at home somewhere anyways 'just in case!'

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I typically use a padded bag to hold my DSLR & 24-105 lens as well as a padded bag for my wide angle 10-24 lens, both placed in a rather large and waterproof Northface backpack that also contains panchos, battery charger, etc. If I bring a tripod or additional items for the day, I rent a locker but am not sure the parks still offer rentals right now so recommend checking first. Slingback bags are the best overall for primarily camera gear but I highly recommend bringing only the lens(es) you really need for the day, leave the rest in your resort safe or in the front desk safe.

Get the best filters you can buy to protect your lens investment, you never know when a guest is going to walk in front of you and their backpack rakes across your lens. (I had this happen a couple years ago and resulted in my filter being scratched, cheaper to replace than the lens!) I always have a couple back-up batteries to cover me too, never run out of juice when on a long day shooting you family photos!

Last two visits I have opted to exclusively use a small P&S but will be taking my new body & lenses this Christmas.

I also agree with @Ariel484 and always keep my lens hoods on my lenses.

MickeyPeace

Just got back from an 11 day trip. Took my t4i, two lenses, my sony camcorder and iPhone.

Whenever I took the t4i to the parks I rented a locker and kept it in there into I wanted it. Honestly 90% of the time I used to camcorder and iPhone for pics.

CarterFamilyof11

We are planning our trip for a few months from now, and we havent been in 6 years. I was planning to bring my t3i as well- just the body. Can you throw it in a sling bag and take it on the rides with you? I for the life of me cannot remember if I was able to bring my bag on a ride with me or not.

NowInc

We are planning our trip for a few months from now, and we havent been in 6 years. I was planning to bring my t3i as well- just the body. Can you throw it in a sling bag and take it on the rides with you? I for the life of me cannot remember if I was able to bring my bag on a ride with me or not.

Most certainly :) I bring a LARGE slingbag and am able to take it (with attached tripod) on every ride with no issue

ddbowdoin

Ariel that's such a good tip! Forget lens flare... having a hood on that can knock and bump into everything is a life saver!

NowInc That's a great post, I wasn't even aware of them. I'll be signing up for sure. (Also it's a great idea to write down your serial numbers at home somewhere anyways 'just in case!'
Insurance is just easier... Cheap as well

joanna71985

I currently just have one camera and lens (my Nikon D5100 and 18-270), so luckily it's not too much to lug around. I eventually want to get a tripod

NowInc

I currently just have one camera and lens (my Nikon D5100 and 18-270), so luckily it's not too much to lug around. I eventually want to get a tripod

I HIGHLY recommend the MeFoto brand..either the Roadtrip (which is what I personally use) or the Backpacker (cheaper, more compact, but doesn't go as tall)

whoiscliffwang

My last trip I brought my d7000 with battery grip. It was okay to carry around the 10 days I was down there. Some days I took the battery grip off so it was easier to store on rides like Mission Space, or Rock'n Rollercoaster. I carried extra lens in a Lowepro AW190 shoulder bag which never left my sight. I feel like if it was summer, where everyday is in the 90's, I wouldn't last as long with the camera and bag on my shoulders.

I just bought the d800 with grip and the 24-70 f/2.8, which will be coming down the next trip. It will be interesting to see if I am able to carry that thing around for the whole trip.

ddbowdoin

My last trip I brought my d7000 with battery grip. It was okay to carry around the 10 days I was down there. Some days I took the battery grip off so it was easier to store on rides like Mission Space, or Rock'n Rollercoaster. I carried extra lens in a Lowepro AW190 shoulder bag which never left my sight. I feel like if it was summer, where everyday is in the 90's, I wouldn't last as long with the camera and bag on my shoulders.

I just bought the d800 with grip and the 24-70 f/2.8, which will be coming down the next trip. It will be interesting to see if I am able to carry that thing around for the whole trip.

the 24-70 is a decent size lens... I don't know how long I could keep that on my shoulder but an excellent focal range for the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom