Tips for Touring with ASD Children

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Since my Sensory Processing Disorder thread seemed to be helpful to people, this is a variation on the theme specific to autism.

What tips do you have for taking your child on the autism spectrum? What made your trip successful or what would you do differently next time?

We haven't been yet, but it occurred to me that I should definitely pick up an autograph book so that she has a set plan for how to interact with the characters. She's so excited at the idea of being able to meet the characters but I know she'll have a tough time with it in practice, so I'm hoping that we can rehearse her giving them a high five, then handing them the autograph book before hand so that she has a game plan to be able to do it.

Give me (us) your wisdom!

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
No-one?

I'm considering purchasing a small blue puzzle piece pin to pin onto her clothes to hopefully alert cast members into the fact that she has autism and hopefully clue them into the fact that they should take character and cast member interaction with care. Has anyone done this with success? I'm also considering calling ahead on our dining reservations to ask for a table in the back / along a wall / in a less traveled location, has anyone called ahead for this type of accommodation or is this well accommodated on the spot? We booked mostly character buffet dining because she's so into the characters and also picky with food, but I'm definitely pretty terrified about the activity and noise level at the character dining locations.

jaklgreen

This will be a hard one for anyone to answer considering the wide range of the disorder. You know your child the best. My niece is autistic but at a very high functioning level and she had issues with noise. I think it is important to watch your child closely for signs that they may have had enough. I think that I would go to a local amusement park first to see how they handle it. You also have to be OK with leaving the park at any time that your child has had enough. Good luck.

kimberlymautz

A close family friend, Nick, has autism and when they went to Disney when he was little had a wonderful time. I think the pin is a good idea, or if your kiddo is interested in pin trading you could decorate a lanyard with information. When Nick went they had a lanyard with his diagnosis, parent's information, and some of his basic information on it so that if he were to get separated it would be easier to identify what was going on. He's okay most of the time, but if he gets really scared he can shut down and have a meltdown if he isn't calmed down quickly.

But as @jaklgreen stated, each child is different.

Good luck! Have a wonderful trip!

rob0519

As an earlier poster wrote, this is difficult because each child is different. You didn't say how old your daughter is. That might will make a difference in the type of suggestions you may get.

This link to a blog that may have some good information. I have not read the entire article. http://.com/taking-a-child-on-the-autism-spectrum-to-disney-world/

Here is a link to some information on the Disney site:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities/
The Disneyland Resort offers a host of services to help Guests with cognitive disabilities—including those on the Autism Spectrum—maximize their Resort ...

Go to Google and type in Disney Autism or Disney Autistic and you will get a number of articles from parents.

You may want to consider getting a Guest Assistance Card if your daughter has trouble dealing with long lines in enclosed spaces. We have a special needs son and find this to be a valuable tool in getting him through a long day in the parks.

Best of luck on your trip when you go. I hope you and your daughter have as magical a time as possible.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Since my Sensory Processing Disorder thread seemed to be helpful to people, this is a variation on the theme specific to autism.

What tips do you have for taking your child on the autism spectrum? What made your trip successful or what would you do differently next time?

We haven't been yet, but it occurred to me that I should definitely pick up an autograph book so that she has a set plan for how to interact with the characters. She's so excited at the idea of being able to meet the characters but I know she'll have a tough time with it in practice, so I'm hoping that we can rehearse her giving them a high five, then handing them the autograph book before hand so that she has a game plan to be able to do it.

Give me (us) your wisdom!

I am currently working with someone who specializes in sensory disorder to collaborate on a blog post about just topic. I can put you in touch with her if you want to ask some questions. :) She will be do the sensory disorder portion of the post and I will be factoring how to travel to Disney into it.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Definitely, every kid on the autism spectrum is very different. My little one will be just turned 4 when we are there and has Level 1 autism (high functioning). While everyone is different, there is definitely a common thread among autistic children and tips and tricks that work for one are great to have in the back pocket of a parent for another one. I was just looking to hear some first account tips and tricks since I know there are other parents of autistic children on the forum as well. Thanks! 19 Days to go! :)

LizC

I have been with my child with ASD three times now. All our trips have been wonderful, and she can not wait to go back.

I think your puzzle piece idea is a great one, I may steal it! If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Hi Everyone, I'm back from a ridiculously magical trip with our 4 year old high functioning autism daughter and our neurotypical almost 2 year old. Every autism parent knows that all of our kids are different, and also all of our kids share some similar characteristics. Here's my take aways for anyone who can use them and apply whatever they can for their kids.

1. My daughter is high functioning, however, she is language impaired and cannot process verbal language close to normal and is delayed (but better) in processing body language. For her, the face characters (princesses) were stressful and the interaction ended up awkward. The princesses tried to talk with her but since her reaction and interaction was not what would be age expected, there were awkward and difficult moments. The costumed characters on the other hand were AMAZING. Since their body language was exaggerated, she understood for the most part what was going on. Since there was no spoken language, she was more at ease and less stressed and the whole thing was just magical.

2. Bring serious sun and hearing protection. We are northerners and though I know its going to be hot and bright and loud, I always underestimate it.

3. Single Stroller. If you have other kids, think about using single strollers for the kids. This gives your ASD child their own special space and also allows you to split up more easily.

4. Extra Adult. This is a no brainer. If you can swing it, bring an extra adult. Our most magical time with our ASD daughter was actually after our 2 year old crashed at the resort with grandma and our older one was still going strong and enjoying late night (cooler, darker, less crowded) time with just us.

5. Food from home. We ordered from Garden Grocer and stocked the fridge with food we knew she would eat. Without it, she might have starved. Every morning she was able to eat the same cheerios and milk that she eats at home in the room (food courts are tough for us) and it set a good tone for the rest of the day. Our worst melt down occurred on the day we left and we ran out of cheerios. I took her to the food court and attempted to convince her to try fruit loops instead. I was that parent with a kid crying and laying on the floor of the foodcourt.

6. Bring a comfort and fixation item with you to the parks. Every day we let her bring one (or sometimes two) comfort items - a stuffed animal, her special blanket, a spinning character fan, etc. I found that she spent a good amount of transition time in the stroller in her own little world with that item - watching the fan spin, talking to the stuffed animal, holding the blanket, whatever. I think this was crucial in giving her re-set time.

7. Quiet Sensory Free Hallway at Epcot. The opposite side of Inventions West (?) (same building as Baymax meet and greet, opposite end), is a air conditioned, sensory free, empty hall way. Awesome spot for a break for anyone.

Hope that helps! This trip was beyond magical for us. My child is sensory defensive, regimented, and inflexible and somehow the pixie dust won out!

Princess Kaylee

We are doing a family reunion trip and my nephew is severely autistic. we are the dining plan and I booked 5 character meals. I am starting to worry that he will be overwhelmed in such a rowdy environment. How did you deal with parades, rides, and character interactions? I just want him to enjoy it as much as we do.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
We are doing a family reunion trip and my nephew is severely autistic. we are the dining plan and I booked 5 character meals. I am starting to worry that he will be overwhelmed in such a rowdy environment. How did you deal with parades, rides, and character interactions? I just want him to enjoy it as much as we do.

My daughter has high functioning autism (level 1 with language impairment). Like most people with autism, she has an obsession that she fixates on and for us that just happens to be Disney movies and characters. That said, its impossible for me to tell you how difficult or not it might be for your nephew. We also bought the dining plan and primarily did character meals (Akershus, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, and Hollywood and Dine). My daughter was so excited by the characters that it helped her get through a busy, overwhelming meal that if the characters hadn't of been there I don't think she would have been able to do. I was amazed at how well she did. It's going to depend on his personality.

For shows and parades we needed darkening sunglasses and heavy duty ear protection, and needed to stay towards the back and as far away from the action as possible, but with that she did fine as long as she was in her own personal space bubble. Most people with autism truly need a defined personal space (which is why the single stroller is so helpful), so as long as she was in her own theater seat or stroller she did okay.

There will be rides that he won't want to do and my advice would be not to push anything. Let him decide what he wants to do and just go with that. My little one had a huge melt down and panic attack and refused (kicking, screaming, rolling on the ground) to go on Little Mermaid, Pooh, or Nemo rides, even though I know she would have loved it. We also rode "Donald's Boat Ride" (the real name of this is alluding me after having listening to her call it that so many times) approximately 30 times during the vacation. Once we learned that we just had to say "okay, no problem" any time she said no to something, our vacation turned super magical.

When it comes to character interactions, you'll also need to follow his lead. My theory after talking to other parents and watching my daughter is that there may be a big difference between face and costumed characters depending upon his level of comfort with verbal and non-verbal language. My daughter struggles very much with comprehending and using spoken language and character interaction with the princesses was very awkward and uncomfortable. On the other hand she LOVED the costumed characters. The fact that they used only body language to communicate really worked with her. At the same time, many people with autism are reversed from my kiddo - they struggle with body language and do better with spoken.

I hope you guys have a great trip! My best advice for traveling with an autistic kiddo is to prepare for all of their needs ahead of time; locate quiet locations, bring favorite foods, bring the comfort items and headphones. After that, let them just set the pace.

Princess Kaylee

My daughter has high functioning autism (level 1 with language impairment). Like most people with autism, she has an obsession that she fixates on and for us that just happens to be Disney movies and characters. That said, its impossible for me to tell you how difficult or not it might be for your nephew. We also bought the dining plan and primarily did character meals (Akershus, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, and Hollywood and Dine). My daughter was so excited by the characters that it helped her get through a busy, overwhelming meal that if the characters hadn't of been there I don't think she would have been able to do. I was amazed at how well she did. It's going to depend on his personality.

For shows and parades we needed darkening sunglasses and heavy duty ear protection, and needed to stay towards the back and as far away from the action as possible, but with that she did fine as long as she was in her own personal space bubble. Most people with autism truly need a defined personal space (which is why the single stroller is so helpful), so as long as she was in her own theater seat or stroller she did okay.

There will be rides that he won't want to do and my advice would be not to push anything. Let him decide what he wants to do and just go with that. My little one had a huge melt down and panic attack and refused (kicking, screaming, rolling on the ground) to go on Little Mermaid, Pooh, or Nemo rides, even though I know she would have loved it. We also rode "Donald's Boat Ride" (the real name of this is alluding me after having listening to her call it that so many times) approximately 30 times during the vacation. Once we learned that we just had to say "okay, no problem" any time she said no to something, our vacation turned super magical.

When it comes to character interactions, you'll also need to follow his lead. My theory after talking to other parents and watching my daughter is that there may be a big difference between face and costumed characters depending upon his level of comfort with verbal and non-verbal language. My daughter struggles very much with comprehending and using spoken language and character interaction with the princesses was very awkward and uncomfortable. On the other hand she LOVED the costumed characters. The fact that they used only body language to communicate really worked with her. At the same time, many people with autism are reversed from my kiddo - they struggle with body language and do better with spoken.

I hope you guys have a great trip! My best advice for traveling with an autistic kiddo is to prepare for all of their needs ahead of time; locate quiet locations, bring favorite foods, bring the comfort items and headphones. After that, let them just set the pace.

This is all great advice. Thank you so much.

jaklgreen

I would take the child to local places that have huge crowds and noise to see how he does. If it is something that he can not handle then I would not recommend going to WDW with him at this time. As harsh as that may sound, sometimes it is better not to put those children in that situation. My niece, who is very high functioning, had issues at WDW and my sister said that they should not have taken her and will not be back. It is not fair to the child or the siblings or parents. There are plenty of activities that you can do as a family that is not as overwhelming as WDW.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
I would take the child to local places that have huge crowds and noise to see how he does. If it is something that he can not handle then I would not recommend going to WDW with him at this time. As harsh as that may sound, sometimes it is better not to put those children in that situation. My niece, who is very high functioning, had issues at WDW and my sister said that they should not have taken her and will not be back. It is not fair to the child or the siblings or parents. There are plenty of activities that you can do as a family that is not as overwhelming as WDW.

This isn't bad advice, but depending on the child, taking them somewhere to a place with crowds and noise may not be comparable to Disney World. My kiddo can't do crowds or noise generally, but succeeded in Disney World partially because of the subject matter and partially because it is a type of organized chaos if they get into a pattern. The pattern of "stroller, line, ride, stroller, line, ride" really worked for my kid once she got the hang of that idea. We didn't need a DAS and I think the few lines we waited in with her actually helped give her some down time. Totally depends on the kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom