Tips for first time cruisers!

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
Hey everyone! My parents are going on their first cruise in December ,does anyone have any tips for them my mom loves Disney World she's a very allergic to bugs loves shows. My Dad he is into sports and he works a lot. Do you have any tips for these first-time Cruisers? Also does anyone know how you can get a bounce back for a future Cruise is it like Disney World where you call from in your room or do you have to do something special ?? Thank you!!

ChuckElias

Hi Dreamer,

My first tip would be to read the FAQ that's pinned to the top of this forum. It provides a lot of helpful information. I'd also suggest doing a search for the word "first" in the titles of this forum. You'll find dozens of threads dealing with first-time cruisers. There will be a lot of suggestions and good "Q & A"s for you to read through.

If you have a particular question about one of the ships or ports or room categories or show options or something like that, come on back and ask them. There's a lot of knowledgeable folks in here!

Phonedave

Hey everyone! My parents are going on their first cruise in December ,does anyone have any tips for them my mom loves Disney World she's a very allergic to bugs loves shows. My Dad he is into sports and he works a lot. Do you have any tips for these first-time Cruisers? Also does anyone know how you can get a bounce back for a future Cruise is it like Disney World where you call from in your room or do you have to do something special ?? Thank you!!

What do you mean she is very allergic to bugs? What kind of bugs? All bugs? What kind of allergic reaction. There arent going to be any bugs on theship, but she my run into some on Castaway Cay

DCL has shows every night. Not much in the way of sports, especially sports participation. He wont be working on the cruise either.

-dave

pilka214

He wont be working on the cruise either.

-dave

Don't be so sure of that, my father has mastered the art of working on Cruise ships. He will buy the largest internet plan and he will wake up before the rest of the family, go up to the coffee bar and send and reply to emails. My father will do this everyday of the cruise, and he will make phone calls anytime where in a port that has signal with AT&T (St Thomas, Puerto Rico) He's a lawyer, he's never gonna retire.

Also back in my crew member days we had one resident on board who just lived with us 4 months at a time, and she got all her work done on board, always on a laptop. Don't know what she did, but the crew loved her.

Phonedave

Whatever this lady did, I need her job.

There are a suprising number of people out there like that. We were on a cruise to Bermuda two years ago, and the while we did not have a shared table, our table at dinner was about 2 feet from an other table, so we ended up talking with this couple every night. He was about 70 and she was early 60's (first off, I hope I look that good when I am 50, forget 70). They had just come off of something crazy, like a 28 day cruise through southeast asia. The went home for a week to check on the house and take care of some things, and now they were off to Bermuda for week. Actually for two weeks, because they had booked back to back Bermuda cruises. Later during the cruise, they asked if we were planning on doing this cruise again next year. We said we were thinking about it (didn't happen, we ended up going this year) and they said if we did there would be a good chance that we would see them again, because they just booked three one week cruises back to back to back. They said they cruise something like 8 to 9 months out of the year on average.

Phonedave

Must be nice.

I really wanted to ask what they did for a living, but that would have been a bit rude.

They really were an interesting couple. He was a 70 year old Japanese guy, who I saw on the beach in Bermuda a number of times rocking a muscle T. This guy was fit, forget for 70, he was fit for 40. He dressed in sport coats and slacks while on board.

She was about 10 years younger and from the Eastern Bloc area. She dressed more in "natural" stuff. Lots of flowing things, bead necklaces, etc, but always very well put together.

They had a house out by the Hamptons on Long Island. You could tell they had money. The been all over the place, toured loads of countries, and the guy loved food. He could go on and on about various ports of call and what restaruants to try, and what local dishes to eat. He knew the menu on the ship inside and out, and there were a couple of times that I put my order in, and the I would get two orders - what I ordered, and something else. When it came to the table, he had ordered it and was all exicted "I know you orderd XXXX, but you really have to try this too, it is awesome". Sometimes it was something that was not even on the menu, but he knew the kitchen could make.

They were a really great couple. Loved to have fun, were very social, didn't flaunt their money, or act like it made them better, but clearly used it to enjoy life and didn't hide that fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom