Tipping

BJones82

Years ago, I asked my dad why he tipped well. He said, "I worked as a waiter for a while and I then realized that some spare change was worth a LOT more to me at the time than the patrons. I've always kept that in mind."

My sister worked as a waitress for 3 years when we were in growing up and I will never forget the stories or how she would come home... Ever sense even when I was in college and only taking home 15-18000 a year I always tip big, even if the person isn't great. Especially now that we are out of college and can afford things like getting married in WDW, we leave big tips because I remember what it was like and as your Dad said, they can use that extra money more than I can...

Because of my experiences we tip on average anywhere from 20% (we tend to be lenient if the restaurant is busy or the server looks tired or stress though sometimes do less but we always leave a tip and sometimes a hand written message on the receipt) to 40% for great service.

In the state of Michigan there is a flat income tax of 9.5% so we view it as our way of paying a higher tax sense we have so much disposable income and think we should pay higher taxes...

It is easy to forget that other people are just humans when they are not doing great at their job, but sometimes it's important to step back and think what you would do if you were in their positions and be compassionate. It is not always as easy as just picking to work another place as some people have said and it isn't always as simple as they have a poor attitude. Maybe they have a poor attitude because they are a single parent with two kids because their spouse died and had no life insurance so they are a server at a 3rd job on the weekends just hoping they can pay for their car insurance or for food other than microwavable hot and ready meals which are horrible for their children. So they are working their 60-65th hour this week knowing the next 52 weeks will be the exact same...

Sorry for the rant it just makes me mad when people are so quick to judge and assume they know everything about someone's attitude or personality just because of a 45 minute dinner...

Honestly, anyone of us who are going to WDW even if it is every 4 years can afford to tip better, some people just choose not to...

Edit: Michigan income tax is 4.25% not 9.5% sorry just moved here after college, just new it was flat I don't remember where I heard it was 9.5% but anyway point is the same...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

In the state of Michigan there is a flat income tax of 9.5% so we view it as our way of paying a higher tax sense we have so much disposable income and think we should pay higher taxes...
Yeah... that's not true at all. The Michigan tax rate is 4.25%. And those with more income already DO pay more taxes. 4.25% of $100K is $4,250. 4.25% of $30,000 is $1,275.

Honestly, anyone of us who are going to WDW even if it is every 4 years can afford to tip better, some people just choose not to...
Yep, that's exactly correct. It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. I can afford to give the person who works in the office next to me $3,000 for no reason whatsoever. Doesn't mean I should or will. I choose to make my discretionary contributions based on merit and generosity. Not some warped obligation to someone who's just spent 45 minutes being a jerk to me just because my income is higher than theirs.

BJones82

Yeah... that's not true at all. The Michigan tax rate is 4.25%. And those with more income already DO pay more taxes. 4.25% of $100K is $4,250. 4.25% of $30,000 is $1,275.

So someone making 30,000 can afford the same percentage tax as someone making 100k? Knowing because I have gone from poverty(making 15-18k annually in college) to upper middle class I will say I can afford a 5k tax much more now than I could when I could afford a 1k tax when I was in college... Flat tax is absolutely stupid. When Only 12% of my income goes to rent and bills I can afford a lot more than when 75% of my income goes to bills... Saying that just because I pay more in tax dollars than someone in poverty doesn't mean I am burdened by taxes the same way as someone at or near the poverty line...

CaptainAmerica

So someone making 30,000 can afford the same percentage tax as someone making 100k? Knowing because I have gone from poverty(making 15-18k annually in college) to upper middle class I will say I can afford a 5k tax much more now than I could when I could afford a 1k tax when I was in college... Flat tax is absolutely stupid. When Only 12% of my income goes to rent and bills I can afford a lot more than when 75% of my income goes to bills... Saying that just because I pay more in tax dollars than someone in poverty doesn't mean I am burdened by taxes the same way as someone at or near the poverty line...
Again, it's not about what you can afford. Someone making $1M per year could probably "afford" a 95% tax, but that doesn't make it right. I don't think there's anything extreme about the government, in its benevolence [/sarc], allowing you to keep the money that you rightfully earned in the first place. Further, making poverty comfortable is a fantastic way to ensure that people remain in poverty.

But I know this board frowns on political conversations so I'll leave it at that. I'm getting the feeling that this is yet another troll thread started by a one-and-done poster.

Mammymouse

I've always wondered why a tip is figured as a percentage of the bill at a restaurant if the tip is supposed to be for good service. With that logic I would think that the service should be rewarded (or not) by a tip to the waitstaff regardless of the bill for the "meal". I've had excellent service from waitstaff at low and medium priced restaurants and horrible service from high priced ones, yet I tipped as a percentage of the price for the food. I guess I just have to turn off my logic brain when I eat out!:D

CaptainAmerica

I've always wondered why a tip is figured as a percentage of the bill at a restaurant if the tip is supposed to be for good service. With that logic I would think that the service should be rewarded (or not) by a tip to the waitstaff regardless of the bill for the "meal". I've had excellent service from waitstaff at low and medium priced restaurants and horrible service from high priced ones, yet I tipped as a percentage of the price for the food. I guess I just have to turn off my logic brain when I eat out!:D
I suppose the overriding theory is that a "nice" (i.e. expensive) restaurant should be providing better service than Applebees. But that's certainly not the case and doesn't take into consideration different menu choices within the restaurant itself (steak versus salad or whatever).

Weather_Lady

We tip our housekeeper about $5 per day for our family of four ($10 on the last day, when she'll have to "turn over" the whole room), and we also pick up after ourselves so that her job is primarily limited to making beds and refreshing supplies.

Anyone who handles our bags, whether it's a bellman or just the bus driver putting them in and out of the storage compartment, we tip $1 per bag.

This means that our total "tip budget" for a 7-day stay is $50. (For restaurant gratuities, we budget the customary 15-20% of the expected total bill.)

AEfx

My sister worked as a waitress for 3 years when we were in growing up and I will never forget the stories or how she would come home... Ever sense even when I was in college and only taking home 15-18000 a year I always tip big, even if the person isn't great. Especially now that we are out of college and can afford things like getting married in WDW, we leave big tips because I remember what it was like and as your Dad said, they can use that extra money more than I can...

That's how I feel. I have known too many wait staff to not be a good tipper, unless the service is bad. If I don't have enough money to tip well, then I don't have enough money to go out.

That said, yes, the system is stupid, yes it should not be this way - but it's not going to change any time soon, and I'm not going to punish folks in the meantime for it. It's one of those "it is what it is" things.

bethymouse

I know that when we tip mousekeeping, we get some extra TLC in our rooms. To me, it's just showing the hard CMs that they have done a good job and we appreciate them. Our waiters/waitresses have always been wonderful at WDW. We usually tip 20%, but at buffets only 10%. It all depends. If you did not have a good experience, then it's your choice not to leave a tip, but always let the management know ( IMHO).

JohnD

For those of you who stay at the resorts and use the magic express transportation, do you tip the sky cap prior to your departure from the resort? Anyone else at the resorts you tip? Housekeeping, concierge, bus driver, etc?

Uh oh. Here we go again. Not treading those waters again.

Otterhead

We usually arrive late so our DME driver handles our bags and we tip accordingly. We usually leave housekeeping a minimum of $1 per person per day.
Same here, and as always, it depends on the quality of service. I've never used a skycap but I give the DME driver a buck or two if they're dealing with my bags; if they just wave in the direction of where they are and let me deal with them (which has happened), I don't. Housekeeping gets at least $1/day. I don't tip the guy who hauls my bags out of the back if they're in storage, though. There's limits :)

Goofnut1980

We tip housekeeping when staying at a non-DVC resort. Never tipped WDW Bus Drivers. Usually tip DME driver if they handle our bags on the inbound trip OR if they're extra magical.

How come only non-DVC resorts? I thought it was something I needed to do for any resort. Granted they only come in every 4 days and only do towels. Now that I say it outloud, they really don't do anything for a tip! And when I do tip, they leave the envelope empty. You're Mousekeeping, clean up! lol

Goofnut1980

We tip very well when we go out.. I cater as front of the house event manager for a 2nd job (Disney fund) and know what its like to deal with the public. So I know what some of these servers go through. Plus everyone that is a Disney on vacation is "entitled". With that said I try to keep it 25-30% depending on the server.

I am at Disney World and am in no hurry. So if dinner takes an extra 10 mintues, so be it.

There is one server that we usually get at Whispering Canyon that we LOVE.. She is super sweet. But she always remembers us - even what we drink. So the few times a year we visit. She sits down, remembers things about us, talks and carries on and so-forth. For me, that is the attention to detail... So if our bill is $30 for breakfast. Her tip is $30. If I can do something so simple to help someone and keep them in a fantastic mood for their shift, they will make sure I'm happy the next time, but also create a little more magic for the next guest. She is supposed to change restaurants, if she does, we will find her... (no - I'm not a stalker) hahaha

I work with a gal that she and her hubby plan their vacations around his work schedule. So his airfare is covered by his company. He also gets a decent per diem meal allowance. So they get food they can split. Cheap Cheap Cheap. Trust me, they can afford it. No kids, they have a condo and her payment is low and have zero student loans because he wrote a check to pay them both off. Why live life like that.

I agree with people, when is enough - enough? But this is their (servers) livelyhood and I am on vacation. I do not go to nickle and dime and not have a great time. Disney isn't cheap - I agree, but you only live once. So Live.

gmajew

Premium Member
I tip $10 per day for housekeeping.... I know a lot but I feel that is worth it and fair as long as my room is perfect every night.

Only once did I ever tip less because it was not up to par!

Restaurants I tip a min of 20% every meal I go, if I have good service I tip 30%, but the rule of thumb in the industry is 15-18% is for normal service and 20% plus is for great service.

Sparkle1566

I always tip DME, Mouse Keepers, Baggage Handlers, Bartenders (believe me, it makes a difference), Servers etc. I do it by choice... believe me, they remember you because many people either tip much less then they used to or do not tip at all due to the cost of the trip itself.
Excellent service I feel should be appreciated and rewarded accordingly...
If you have never worked in the service industry, you have no idea what these folks deal with, how people trash their rooms everyday (something that they would probably not do at home, but think it is ok on vacation), treat servers... because they feel they can, " because your job is to serve me" attitude, yell at them for Corporate rules, etc.
You may feel that " you are already paying for a service.. or, it is labeled as a FREE service".... that has nothing to do with the people actually doing the physical labor.
I always remember.... I am there to be on vacation and have fun.... this is their job and livelihood. I tip for services at home... why wouldn't I do the same on vacation ????

mergatroid

When I go to the Contemporary to use the marina I get free concierge parking due to having a disabled parking badge from the UK. I usually give the person $5 when they bring the vehicle to me when I go.

BJones82

There is one server that we usually get at Whispering Canyon that we LOVE.. She is super sweet. But she always remembers us - even what we drink. So the few times a year we visit. She sits down, remembers things about us, talks and carries on and so-forth. For me, that is the attention to detail... So if our bill is $30 for breakfast. Her tip is $30. If I can do something so simple to help someone and keep them in a fantastic mood for their shift, they will make sure I'm happy the next time, but also create a little more magic for the next guest. She is supposed to change restaurants, if she does, we will find her... (no - I'm not a stalker) hahaha

We had a server at Sanaa two weeks ago who we will try to always request if possible, his name was Zac and he was amazing!! He had great recommendations and was extremely friendly so we gave him a decent tip (I think like 30-35%) and he actually tracked us down as we left saying we made his night and the tip was too generous. I mean it was not even that big of a tip dollar wise sense there were only two of us but it was so heart felt and genuine we decided to always request him in the future provided he is still there next time we visit in October :/

Goofnut1980

We had a server at Sanaa two weeks ago who we will try to always request if possible, his name was Zac and he was amazing!! He had great recommendations and was extremely friendly so we gave him a decent tip (I think like 30-35%) and he actually tracked us down as we left saying we made his night and the tip was too generous. I mean it was not even that big of a tip dollar wise sense there were only two of us but it was so heart felt and genuine we decided to always request him in the future provided he is still there next time we visit in October :/

My home resort is Kidani !! I go next Saturday. I will have to look him up and request him!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom