• Every day

Votes: 109 75.2%
  • At the end of your stay

Votes: 36 24.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrigross

If you don't tip maids, you shouldn't stay at hotels. Very cut and dry, very simple.
Not tipping = no class.
This isn't an argument or something to agree to disagree on. It's very straightforward. Tip or stay at home.

Wow, I didnt know I paid 400 dollars a night a stay at hotels and also tip the same people the hotel should be paying. You go to hotels to have a place to sleep. It is the housekeepers job to clean the hotel. Its not like their is a clause or any kind of notice telling you to tip the housekeeping staff. If they do not like their jobs, they should get a new one. Heck, I work in IT. If I worked for the IT you work at and you bring me a laptop that you spilled liquid on or got a virus, shouldnt you be giving me a tip as well? I mean you are causing me a ton of work that you caused on your laptop. And dont give me the, I am paid more than a housekeeper. With your stance, you should tip anyone that you provide a service for that you cause work to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you don't tip maids, you shouldn't stay at hotels. Very cut and dry, very simple.
Not tipping = no class.
This isn't an argument or something to agree to disagree on. It's very straightforward. Tip or stay at home.

I look forward to people like you just dropping dollar bills everywhere you look...
The hotel check-in clerk..
The guy sweeping the floor..
The airport check-in agent..
The flight attendant..
The janitor emptying the trash cans

I mean.. they are all working for you and make little money right???

Or you mean you have some new magical standard you alone have decided on your own on who gets tips or not? That's cute

jaklgreen

Actually there is. Bus drivers haven't been tipped because they drive the bus... tipping bus drivers is rooted in their assistance with baggage (like the bellhops) and the extra service they provide OUTSIDE driving the bus itself. Baggage handlers have historically been a position people are hired in with an expectations of tips as making up their total pay. I would tip the baggage handlers, not the person sitting behind the wheel.

Being paid minimum wage or not is completely IRRELEVANT to the discussion. The expectation that matters is the employer compensating people with an expectation of pay+tips, people hiring in knowing that, and the business relaying that expectation to customers... who chose to patronize that business knowing that.

Again, I tip based on service, not pitty.

I was actually just kind of messing with you. You saw the LOL and the tongue out emoji, right? You get so worked up by these little things. I am sure that housekeeping does not expect a tip, but they appreciate the extra gesture. I look at it this way; my vacations are for me to not have to do any work. So I do not cook or clean, so I appreciate that the housekeepers are there to clean up after my family and me. Even people that have personal maids that come to their house give them a bonus, maybe at Christmas time or whatever. I just look at it as their extra little bonus from me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was actually just kind of messing with you. You saw the LOL and the tongue out emoji, right? You get so worked up by these little things. I am sure that housekeeping does not expect a tip, but they appreciate the extra gesture. I look at it this way; my vacations are for me to not have to do any work. So I do not cook or clean, so I appreciate that the housekeepers are there to clean up after my family and me. Even people that have personal maids that come to their house give them a bonus, maybe at Christmas time or whatever. I just look at it as their extra little bonus from me.

Im not worked up - im explaining my point :) Just take a look at some of the replies like from otter for people with issues.

The holiday bonus etc is more about the annual thanks (aka gift)... and not about an expected tip for each service.

There is ahuge delta between 'thanks' (aka gift or bonus) and expected gratuity (my comp plan is based on it).

Prople shouldn't confuse the two just because theyve both been labeled as tips.

BuddyThomas

Wow, I didnt know I paid 400 dollars a night a stay at hotels and also tip the same people the hotel should be paying. You go to hotels to have a place to sleep. It is the housekeepers job to clean the hotel. Its not like their is a clause or any kind of notice telling you to tip the housekeeping staff. If they do not like their jobs, they should get a new one. Heck, I work in IT. If I worked for the IT you work at and you bring me a laptop that you spilled liquid on or got a virus, shouldnt you be giving me a tip as well? I mean you are causing me a ton of work that you caused on your laptop. And dont give me the, I am paid more than a housekeeper. With your stance, you should tip anyone that you provide a service for that you cause work to.
Wow. I didn't know you paid 400 dollars a night. Now I can understand how that two dollars for the human being who scrubbed your toilet is such an offensive concept for you.

21stamps

Wow. I didn't know you paid 400 dollars a night. Now I can understand how that two dollars for the human being who scrubbed your toilet is such an offensive concept for you.
I know you were being sarcastic., and this isn't directed at you.. but I don't know why people bring up how much they are paying for a room.
It's inconsequential. Regardless of if you're paying $79 per night or $790 per night.. It has nothing to do with tipping.
That's like saying "well, I ate at an expensive restaurant, so my tip should be included in the price of my meal."
Irrelevant!

BuddyThomas

I know you were being sarcastic., and this isn't directed at you.. but I don't know why people bring up how much they are paying for a room.
It's inconsequential. Regardless of if you're paying $79 per night or $790 per night.. It has nothing to do with tipping.
That's like saying "well, I ate at an expensive restaurant, so my tip should be included in the price of my meal."
Irrelevant!
Not so much sarcasm as complete disbelief that the same person bragging about his ability to stay in a $400 a night room is bragging about how he refuses to tip.

21stamps

Not so much sarcasm as complete disbelief that the same person bragging about his ability to stay in a $400 a night room is bragging about how he refuses to tip.
Money doesn't equal manners, unfortunately.

I don't know why this is so prevelant with Disney and not so much anywhere else.. people for some reason feel like the money they're spending at WDW entitles them to more..or at the very least should be viewed as a gracious act.

disney4life2008

I'm not claiming there are hard-and-fast rules that are written in stone somewhere that all people must follow. It's just a social custom.

Tipping housekeeping is not a social custom. Tipping in restaurants is because is will clearly say suggested gratuity or if a party of 8 or more, it is required.

I have yet to see any documentation from any hotel I have stayed in in the United States that says tipping is even suggested. Outside of cruise lines, nada.

KrzyKtty

Do you tip the custodial workers in a public restroom?
If you mean someone who is only there for a few minutes to clean then moves on then no. If you mean at the nicer establishment where their entire job is to wait on the patrons in the restroom, then yes. Or at least yes when I have the ability and cash. This position is rare enough where I normally don't expect it and have been surprised once or twice.

I tend to conform to societal tipping standards. One is a standard practice and the other isn't. It is a sign of my generosity and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom