• Every day

Votes: 109 75.2%
  • At the end of your stay

Votes: 36 24.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob0519

There will always be argument over who to tip and how much to tip. When we were in high school, we'd order a 50 cent cup of coffee and leave the waitress a $1 tip because she looked like she was always working harder than we were.

Fast forward, on vacation, I tip the following people:
  • The driver that takes us to and from the airport
  • The skycap that takes our luggage at both airports
  • The Bellman at the hotel so we don't have to drag luggage for five to 2 or 3 different rooms and back to the lobby
  • Yes, I tip housekeeping for each room we occupy
  • The parking valet who brings us our car
  • All waiters and waitresses; Table Service and Buffet - Yes, I do tip 15%-20% based on the amount of the bill, excluding taxes. Having said that, agree with bigrigross about being expected to base my tip on the price of the food rather than the level of service provided. I admit we have never dined at Victoria and Albert's, but it has been our experience at other upscale restaurants that the wait staff does little more for us than the wait staff at any moderately priced restaurant. I tip accordingly, but I don't understand it and certainly don't agree with it. If the owners want to run a fine dining establishment with a highly paid wait staff, raise the prices and pay them yourselves. Don't put it on the customers.

BuddyThomas

I do too. Acting like you're doing someone a favor by tipping them is just rude. It's a gesture of thanks, not condescension.
Agreed. And with that in mind, let's look at some checks that waiters have posted where they have been tipped with words instead of $$. I really hope no one on here would pull this kind of stuff.
Tip message one.jpg

Tip 2b.jpe

Tip 3.jpe

Tip 5.jpg

Tip 6.jpg

Tip 7.jpg

21stamps

Agreed. And with that in mind, let's look at some checks that waiters have posted where they have been tipped with words instead of $$. I really hope no one on here would pull this kind of stuff.
View attachment 201385
View attachment 201386
View attachment 201387
View attachment 201388
View attachment 201389
View attachment 201390

Well, someone already admitted to leaving a penny. Sorry to crush your hope :(

Anyway, I love that someone went to a Greek restaurant and then didn't tip because the server didn't look american, presumably. What?!?!

jaklgreen

We have always tipped housekeeping a few dollars a day. I am in my 40s and I have been doing this my whole adult life. I thought everyone did. When I take my annual fall trip to WDW, I stay for 2 weeks. The housekeepers are my new best friends.I always smile and say "hi, and thank you" to them if I pass them in the hall. I am happy that I don't have to take out my trash or wash my towels, or clean the toilet and tub. So the few extra bucks from me and the appreciation that I show goes a long way to having amazing housekeeping service. My room is always clean and there are plenty of towels and shampoo bottles. Lets face it, its not a fun job. It is physically taxing and not many people are willing to clean up after others because people are pigs. I think in general people need to be nicer to those in the service industry and not treat them like they are inferior or that they are too stupid to get another job. There are many reasons why someone works at those jobs. Housekeeping is the most important position in any hotel and usually the ones that are paid the least. We, as a society, should be evolving and becoming more tolerant and kind to each other instead of punishing those that are working hard trying to support their families because you don't "believe" in tipping. If you don't want to tip, then I would suggest that you keep your room spotless and not leave a huge mess for the housekeeper.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I always smile and say "hi, and thank you" to them if I pass them in the hall

me too. (and I don't tip maids)

My room is always clean and there are plenty of towels and shampoo bottles

Me too (and I don't tip maids). Because that's what I'm paying the hotel for, and the hotel is paying their staff for. It's not because you tip or not.

Lets face it, its not a fun job. It is physically taxing and not many people are willing to clean up after others because people are pigs. I think in general people need to be nicer to those in the service industry and not treat them like they are inferior or that they are too stupid to get another job

You don't tip people because you feel sorry for them or not. You tip them for a reward of service or because that is the compensation model for the service.

I don't expect my customers to 'tip' me when I do more work for them or get through excessively difficult problems.. because I'm paid a salary and my variable pay comes from our success as a business. And my customers don't tip me because they know it's not part of my compensation model.

Reactions: dmw

jaklgreen

me too. (and I don't tip maids)

Me too (and I don't tip maids). Because that's what I'm paying the hotel for, and the hotel is paying their staff for. It's not because you tip or not.

You don't tip people because you feel sorry for them or not. You tip them for a reward of service or because that is the compensation model for the service.

I don't expect my customers to 'tip' me when I do more work for them or get through excessively difficult problems.. because I'm paid a salary and my variable pay comes from our success as a business. And my customers don't tip me because they know it's not part of my compensation model.

Well, I don't know what job you do, but maids don't have a compensation model. Their salary is pretty much stagnant with little upward earning potential. And yes, you do tip them for a reward for service, and that is exactly what I do. I appreciate their service and so I tip. Look man, you don't have to tip. I know people see it both ways. But don't be mad if people think you are cheap if you don't tip.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, I don't know what job you do, but maids don't have a compensation model. Their salary is pretty much stagnant with little upward earning potential. And yes, you do tip them for a reward for service, and that is exactly what I do. I appreciate their service and so I tip. Look man, you don't have to tip. I know people see it both ways. But don't be mad if people think you are cheap if you don't tip.

So... you think its fair for me to call you cheap if I come up with job roles you don't tip?
Or is reality that there are positions that deserve standard tipping and some that don't? And the disagreement is over what those roles ARE... not if 'someone tips or not'.

And maids very much have a compensation model... every employee does. Some are just more simple than others.. and when you look at job positions for these roles they are NOT hired with the expectation that a portion of your normal expected weekly pay will be from tips. Contrast that with other positions where that is the advertised compensation model the people hire into.

jaklgreen

So... you think its fair for me to call you cheap if I come up with job roles you don't tip?
Or is reality that there are positions that deserve standard tipping and some that don't? And the disagreement is over what those roles ARE... not if 'someone tips or not'.

And maids very much have a compensation model... every employee does. Some are just more simple than others.. and when you look at job positions for these roles they are NOT hired with the expectation that a portion of your normal expected weekly pay will be from tips. Contrast that with other positions where that is the advertised compensation model the people hire into.

I think it is more the norm to tip, I believe most reports say that 70% of people do tip the housekeeping staff. I really do not see the difference in tipping the magical express/shuttle bus driver and the maids. They both get paid at least minimum wage and provide a service. But no one is making a big stink about throwing the driver a couple of bucks for his service. Personally, I think housekeeping is a crap job that I know I would not want to do. So maybe that makes me more sympathetic to them. Maybe you feel that you would gladly do that job and think its no big deal and does not warrant an extra something. That's fine. I can still think your cheap though. LOL :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it is more the norm to tip, I believe most reports say that 70% of people do tip the housekeeping staff. I really do not see the difference in tipping the magical express/shuttle bus driver and the maids. . They both get paid at least minimum wage and provide a service. But no one is making a big stink about throwing the driver a couple of bucks for his service.

Actually there is. Bus drivers haven't been tipped because they drive the bus... tipping bus drivers is rooted in their assistance with baggage (like the bellhops) and the extra service they provide OUTSIDE driving the bus itself. Baggage handlers have historically been a position people are hired in with an expectations of tips as making up their total pay. I would tip the baggage handlers, not the person sitting behind the wheel.

Being paid minimum wage or not is completely IRRELEVANT to the discussion. The expectation that matters is the employer compensating people with an expectation of pay+tips, people hiring in knowing that, and the business relaying that expectation to customers... who chose to patronize that business knowing that.

Personally, I think housekeeping is a crap job that I know I would not want to do. So maybe that makes me more sympathetic to them. Maybe you feel that you would gladly do that job and think its no big deal and does not warrant an extra something. That's fine. I can still think your cheap though. LOL :p

Again, I tip based on service, not pitty.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
We have always tipped housekeeping a few dollars a day. I am in my 40s and I have been doing this my whole adult life. I thought everyone did. When I take my annual fall trip to WDW, I stay for 2 weeks. The housekeepers are my new best friends.I always smile and say "hi, and thank you" to them if I pass them in the hall. I am happy that I don't have to take out my trash or wash my towels, or clean the toilet and tub. So the few extra bucks from me and the appreciation that I show goes a long way to having amazing housekeeping service. My room is always clean and there are plenty of towels and shampoo bottles. Lets face it, its not a fun job. It is physically taxing and not many people are willing to clean up after others because people are pigs. I think in general people need to be nicer to those in the service industry and not treat them like they are inferior or that they are too stupid to get another job. There are many reasons why someone works at those jobs. Housekeeping is the most important position in any hotel and usually the ones that are paid the least. We, as a society, should be evolving and becoming more tolerant and kind to each other instead of punishing those that are working hard trying to support their families because you don't "believe" in tipping. If you don't want to tip, then I would suggest that you keep your room spotless and not leave a huge mess for the housekeeper.

Well said. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom