Tipping at the poolside bar...

MissingDisney

Open a tab and then tip at the end. That's what we do at the pool.
Yep, same here and close it out each day. The kids will get frozen concoctions as well that require time/effort and have charging privileges on their bands, too. This way we can see at the end what it was and tip for everything, accounting for those extra difficult drinks to make.

crxbrett

I always tip $1 a drink for beer or a shot/glass of straight liquor and $2 per drink for a mixed cocktail. Seems fair and ends up being roughly 15-17%.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
dbpix-pimco-tipping-blog480.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'll go with what Dan8302 said.

BigRedDad

If you have a $30.00 tab at a bar, your tip should be 4.50. No matter how you rationalize it, that is the standard and those are the facts!!!
There is no fact for tipping. I will guarantee you I am not tipping 15% on a $7 beer. That takes less than 2 seconds to twist the cap off. I will tip 15% on the $1 beer they charge $7 for.

littleroo

There is no fact for tipping. I will guarantee you I am not tipping 15% on a $7 beer. That takes less than 2 seconds to twist the cap off. I will tip 15% on the $1 beer they charge $7 for.

I refuse to go down this road!! I avoid this topic all the time and feel very strongly about it!! 15 percent is the standard in the United States for minimal service. That is the only answer. The rest are excuses so people can sleep at night. I am done. Happy Sunday!

BuddyThomas

Pasted from thrillist.com in its entirety, but without the annoying ads:

HOW TO TIP A BARTENDER IN EVERY SITUATION
By MEREDITH HEIL Published On 05/26/2016

In the tip-happy USA, figuring out when, who, and how much to tip in every bar-going scenario is enough to make a person's head spin. Do beertenders deserve less than mixologists? Am I supposed to compensate for happy hour discounts? If auto-gratuity's been added, is a little extra on top expected? What if that seriously good-looking barkeep just hooked me up with a round of free shots?

To get to the bottom of proper tip etiquette, we enlisted the help of Hayley Karl from Mugs Alehouse -- one friendly-yet-firm NYC bartender with over 10 years experience behind the taps -- to give us the expectations and the ideals. Customers, of course, don't have to follow these guidelines, but your bartender will probably think you're a dirtbag if you don't.

If service was fantastic

What you should tip: Whatever your heart desires
If your bartender has totally gone out of his or her way to make sure your time at the bar has been the absolute best, throw down the standard 20% to start, then add on however much extra you can spare, like your phone number. Just kidding, always tip in cash.

If service was fine and normal

What you should tip: $1-$2/drink at a regular joint, 20% of the total for a swankier spot
One or two singles will do for an average, respectful exchange of money for alcohol -- no special treatment, no drama, just efficient, cordial service. "$1 minimum per drink has always been the standard, but I've noticed an increase to $2 per drink over the past year," Karl says. Try to keep up, buddy.

If service was bad

What you should tip: 15-18%
"We all have bad days," says Karl, "so a little understanding goes a long way. Unless the bartender was racist or somehow violated your human rights. Then you should just leave. Just leave." A bad Yelp review might also be in order.

If service was downright abysmal

What you should tip: Stiff 'em!
If your bartender is racist, violent, petulant, completely oblivious, or at any point insists in the superiority of Attack of the Clones, pay for your drink (somebody's gotta be an adult), lay down exact change, and leave without saying a word. They'll remember you, sure. But you won't be back.

If you're getting a beer (draft or bottle)

What you should tip: $1-$2/drink
Rule of thumb? Base the tip on the labor a drink requires. If someone's knocking back twist-off Bud Heavies at a local dive, $1 per bottle is just fine. If they're at an upscale craft bar and the pours necessitate a bit more time and effort -- a lengthy explanation, multiple samples, the perfect amount of head, flights -- an extra buck is due. "Try to tip $2 for extra-fancy craft beer (anything $8 or higher per glass). I know it doesn't seem like a skill, but there is an art to pouring beer. A good bartender keeps your price point down and awesome beer coming in by knowing exactly how to move those kegs," Karl says.

If you order a fancy cocktail

What you should tip: 20% or $2-$3/drink
The same logic applies to cocktails, of course. Up the labor and knowledge, up the tip.

If you're chilling on water/soda

What you should tip: $1 or anything EXCEPT change
Want to p- off an otherwise friendly barkeep? Park it at the bar, order a constant stream of non-alcoholic libations, and toss a few quarters down before leaving. As Karl says, "Think about it, if you're chilling on a stool and not spending money, you are quite literally taking money out of the pockets of the bartenders. If you want to hang, just make it worth your bartender's time." You're not the tooth fairy and the bartender is not an 8-year-old coin collector. Deal with it.

If it's happy hour

What you should tip: Same as regular hour
"Just forget happy hour. They're giving you a deal on the drink, not the tip. Just tip how you would for normal drinks," says our 'tender.

If it's a holiday

What you should tip: 25-35% of your total bill
If someone's kind enough to sacrifice a nationally recognized day of relaxation to help you drown your yuletide sorrows, you should probably respect that. In cash.

If it's mad busy and you're ordering multiple drinks

What you should tip: 20% minimum
As always, more work for the barkeep = more cash from the customer. If someone's going to drop a slew of orders on a bartender who's already dealing with a big rush, they should absolutely factor in a few extra big ones for the trouble. It's way too easy to get lost in the fray during a high-traffic spell, so greasing the wheel can only work in a drinker's favor.

If your friend/date is the worst

What you should tip: 20% minimum (especially if you plan on returning)
Nobody likes a pushy customer, especially the person forced to accommodate their rude . If you want to keep your nice-guy rep intact, at least try to offset their jerky behavior. "And write in the receipt that you're sorry for picking terrible friends," Karl adds.

If you're the only one there and you're treating the bartender like a therapist
What you should tip: $125/hr (or 30% minimum)
"Get a therapist... or find a bartender that takes your insurance," Karl jokes... kind of. If the bar's dead and you've been venting for hours like the person in front of you is paid to help you confront your mommy issues and not to pour your Scotch, pony up.

If you're shooting for regular status

What you should tip: 30-40% of the total, including the full price of any free drinks (buybacks)
Major key: "Be careful -- you don't want to buy your regular status because that can come off as creepy, depending on the bartender. But if you're getting hooked up with a sweet buyback or two, definitely step it up to 10-20% extra,” says Karl. For friends -- you know, those sweet folks who bring all their pals from work because they "know the bartender" -- "30-40% is the unspoken minimum." And, hey, if somebody feels like buying the staff a shot or two, no one's going to complain.

Cosmic Commando

Let me begin by saying that I do my best to go along with societal norms, but I HATE tipping. I do it as much as you're supposed to, but I hate it. If I can avoid being in a situation where I have to tip, I probably will. I would buy the beer at the food court and drink in my room. :facepalm: The "rules" seem so nonsensical at times and the process is so opaque to the customer... makes me want to visit countries where tipping isn't the norm.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

As a former bartender (not at Disney) I never expected a percentage unless food was ordered. $1 per drink was always standard, anything extra was very much appreciated. Yes, I think for a beer or a "this-and-that" drink (vodka & whatever, rum & whatever, gin & whatever, etc.) a dollar is standard and sufficient. For a frozen or muddled drink, you might go higher. For frame of reference, this was the late '90s to mid 2000's.

That said, as a bartender, I tend to tip extra, and at WDW, I tend to tip even more, within reason. I pretty much always tip $5 on the first round (of one or two drinks.) And then $2 on the second drink (or $3 for two drinks) and then $1 per drink for the rest of the session (or until I fall off my barstool.) I have a few favorites at WDW who I will tip more than that.

The variables: how attentive a bartender is. If they don't chat you up at all, they'll get no more than standard basic tip, especially if they are not busy. If they go anywhere from basic friendly chat all the way up to fully entertaining you while still keeping track of all the other customers and keeping up with their bar (like I used to do) then I'm more impressed and more inclined to tip higher and come back. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Julie at the Tune-In Lounge is an excellent representative of Disney and of excellent tending bar. It's not just pouring drinks. Your brain needs to be constantly managing every chair.

And although this can be an ethically gray area, I will tip extra for stronger drinks.

That being said, overpouring = stealing. I used to have people ask for less ice or a tall glass because they thought they would get more alcohol. That's not how it works. A pour is what the recipe calls for, and pouring extra is stealing from the owner of the bar who owns the alcohol. Alcohol is like liquid money. Now, you don't know what "store policy" is. I've had bar owners explicitly instruct me to give free shots (nothing expensive) if someone was sitting and ordering 3 or more drinks, or if you wanted to get some customers to start talking to each other (to get them to stay longer.) OTOH, I've had bar owners watch from cameras to make sure your "4 count" was not a 4 1/2 count. Many bars today use pre-measuring devices like jiggers or special pour spouts that measure an ounce. In those cases it's tough for a bartender to get away with anything.

The point of all that is, if you get something "strong" or "extra," appreciate it. If you don't, you have no business expecting it or asking for it unless you'd like to pay for a double.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom