1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Discussion in 'Running at WDW' started by wdwmagic, Aug 13, 2011.

1. psherman42

psherman42 Well-Known Member

I saw the same thing on Twitter about no characters during the 5K. That's pretty terrible and if I'd signed up for it I'd be pretty upset and complain. It says right on the website there will be characters on the course. To not have any is false advertising. These events are already expensive and to not include characters just makes participating even less worth it. If this is a new trend, their registrations will plummet.

Angel Ariel and ford91exploder like this.
  2. Mark P.

Mark P. Active Member

Sure, registrations will plummet...a year from now, after they've cashed in on the rest of us who already registered for races 11 months in advance without knowing about these cuts.

ford91exploder likes this.
  3. psherman42

psherman42 Well-Known Member

True. I'm glad the only event I'm signed up for right now is the marathon in January and as it'd be my first full I have no plans of stopping for characters since I'll probably be really worried about finishing (just like I was for my first half lol). The only hope is they get a lot of complaints and fix it quickly. People are saying there won't be any for the 10k tomorrow either, although how they know that, I have no idea.

4. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

Making sure @ford91exploder sees that characters are now cut from Run Disney races

5. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

Funny how the runDisney site still lists Disney characters on the course.

6. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks, DW is at the Tinkerbell (and I'm in the office) and she and her BFF are NOT HAPPY about the characters being cut, Half the fun of the 5-10K races was the character interactions even if it's just waving at them on the way by.

The price for these races is stratospheric and Disney is too busy serving Wall St today to include a key part of the experience which has been part of runDisney events since DAY ONE.

JillC LI likes this.
  7. ford91exploder

Typical Disney bait-n-switch, from multiple people no characters seen at 5k... Let's see what happens with 10K and Half

asianway likes this.
  8. LuvtheGoof

Yeah, I call BS on this one.

9. asianway

BS? It's the main topic of discussion on all running groups and twitter today...

Angel Ariel and ford91exploder like this.
  10. Ariel484

Ariel484 Well-Known Member

I ran the 5K today - one character stop (Hook and Smee) but not a "real" picture. Selfie only. There were cones set up in front of them and we were not allowed to cross over the cones...so were about 10' away. So technically there were characters but not a "real" stop.

Last year they had two stops - Hook/Smee and Peter/Wendy and I thought THAT was light. They sure showed me!

11. Ariel484

And I stopped by the runDisney booth to register my disappointment. I was told it was done to prevent course crowding ("safety is our #1 concern") and that it'll be the same tomorrow. I asked why they couldn't at least have any characters at the finish area and she didn't have an answer for that.

12. ford91exploder

Two interesting things about the 'No Characters' run

1 - It's apparently a 'test' to speed up the races
    2 - runDisney is not using volunteers to man the course apparently these are paid staff now.

Glad I'm not signed up for anything next year,

Angel Ariel likes this.
  13. asianway

Had to make up that lost money somewhere. People should dispute the charges on their credit cards

14. ford91exploder

This in a nutshell is precisely whats WRONG with Disney today, They created a great series of events which WERE fun for a huge amount of people run it for years with minimal changes but now since we must show Wall St we are a 'GROWTH' company they gut it at the drop of a hat and FUN is sacrificed to EFFICIENCY. As WOPR noted 'the only way to win, is to not play the game'. I'm not playing Disney's game any longer.

What's sad is even though Spirit likes to mock runDisney it made a heck of a lot of people START and follow through on exercise programs and that's a really good thing. But they did it because it was an approachable and fun way to start running,

As most marathons are run by the deadly serious who are only interested in the 'personal best' and will knock you over with no hesitation if you get in their way.

Angel Ariel likes this.
  15. asianway

And I'm the last one to play the "What about the children?" Card but come on, this is the race that little kids can do for Petes sake. If anything cut them from the race with the pro runners

16. ford91exploder

True in the 5K you see a LOT of young kids NOT IN A STROLLER!!!!

17. ford91exploder

It's because it's all about the money, Those characters cut into runDisney's margins and that cannot be allowed now that runDisney is a revenue producer for Disney and is not seen as a 'loss leader' (i.e. get people into parks at slow times WDW marathon is an example).

FerretAfros likes this.
  18. LuvtheGoof

OK, I will totally agree that this was lame on Disney's part, regardless of the reason. Bad.

19. ford91exploder

Apparently the blowback was severe enough as DW reports there were characters on the 10K yesterday.

So posting here and other social media forums does have an effect on Disneys actions.

psherman42 and Angel Ariel like this.
  20. Ariel484

4 character stops at the 10K (plus "selfie stops")
    6 at the half marathon

They got the message. :)