1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Thunder Mountain to close this September and will remain closed through most of 2013

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by raven24, Aug 6, 2012.

1. WDW1974

WDW1974 Well-Known Member

This is what you do with older rides, especially coasters ... then, they tend to not kill folks later on.

2. Cosmic Commando

Cosmic Commando Well-Known Member

Been there, done that unfortunately. That was actually why I thought WDW did such a long refurb on theirs... don't want ANOTHER Big Thunder killing somebody.

I think I'm taking the news harder than my son; it's his favorite ride. He's not normally a coaster person yet, but he likes BTMRR. I told him they had to fix it and we wouldn't be able to ride it, he asked me a bunch of questions, and then he seemed fine. The good thing is that there is so much to do in DLR that it's not as big of a deal. Actually, my wife brought up the idea of a return trip to get the value out of our AP's the other day... sounds like a good way to assuage my hard feelings about not being able to ride it this year! With Tony Baxter on the scene and the willingness to spend money in TDA lately, this will be a really great thing.

3. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that, I hope your will still have a good time on all the other rides! Maybe Matterhorn? A return trip doesn't sound like a bad idea.:)

4. Cosmic Commando

I'm hoping to get him excited about Space Mountain. The DL one is pretty much my favorite ride. He is really excited about the idea of a "space ride"... he likes space but did not like any roller coasters until BTMRR.

5. raven24

Ok, that's good. I think Space is a little faster than Thunder. It's a good thing you're going in November because Ghost Galaxy would probably been a little scary for your son. Make sure you let him know he'll be in total darkness. I suggest you let him ride Gadget's Go Coaster in Toontown or Goofy's Sky School in California Adventure to warm him up to Space Mountain.

6. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

Unlike when they closed BTMRR at WDW...there's plenty to do at Disneyland and it's alot easier to spread out crowds. It was quite rough on the MK without one of it's big E-tickets...especially on Space Mountain. I remember wait times for SM reaching 120 minutes or more at certain times. It was unpleasant.

7. Cosmic Commando

I remember reading an article (I wanna say it was from the 90's) where one of the maintenance guys was talking about when the pencil pushers first were brought in. He was talking about something like the seat latching mechanisms, and specifically about BTMRR at DL. The accountaneer was saying, "Why do you check these every night? They never fail." Of course, his reply was, "They never fail BECAUSE we check them every night!" Kinda sums up where I think maintenance has fallen to in a lot areas.

EDIT: and here we are: LA Times 11/2003. Disney Ride Upkeep Assailed

8. nemofinder22

nemofinder22 Well-Known Member

Interesting read, but for the "wrong" reasons.

In news to Big Thunder's upcoming refurbishment, it seems the dates will be Jan. 07, 2013-Oct. 30, 2013.

Cosmic Commando likes this.
  9. cba

cba Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I'm not going in 2013.

10. devoy1701

devoy1701 Well-Known Member

@TP2000 and @raven24
    Anything else going to be closed in the March timeframe?

11. raven24

Nemofinder22 has entire thread with closures and refurbishments. It's in the Disneyland forum.:)

cba likes this.
  12. Matt7187

Matt7187 Well-Known Member

My dad and I are going to the D23 Expo in August and it is his favorite ride! Hopefully there may be a soft opening or something

13. KeithVH

KeithVH Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything about them revamping the show itself? Changing the backstory, etc.?

14. nemofinder22

I don't think it will have any soft openings by Aug, that's nearly a 3 month time frame.

This is what Al Lutz noted back in Aug.

15. Matt7187

Matt7187 Well-Known Member

I didnt think there would, but i can hope! Do you know of any other closures at that time?

16. thomas998

thomas998 Well-Known Member

I was puzzled when I saw this topic as we had gone there in October and it was running... I guess someone might want to change the topic heading because I'm guessing some people might not realize that it is open all of 2012, and closed 2013

17. AndyS2992

AndyS2992 Well-Known Member

They probably won't be fixed since the accident at Disneyland Paris where they fell onto the track infront of an oncoming train. I noticed WDW has stopped theirs moving too.

18. nemofinder22

From Mouseplanet-

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?1038-The-Demolition-of-Rainbow-Ridge

19. raven24

Well that sucks. The town is one of my favorite parts of the ride, specifically the saloon. Great.

20. Endor Sightseer

Endor Sightseer Well-Known Member

Why exactly are they removing the theming?