Thunder Mountain or Splash Mountain

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Hello! Ill be making my fastpass reservations tonight and am having trouble deciding between thunder mountain or splash mountain for our third in Magic Kingdom. The first two have already been designated for Space Mountain and Mine Train. If it helps, we won't be going to the MK until noon since have magic hours until midnight and won't be doing a lot of kiddie stuff. I'm stuck because I don't want to walk around wet all day, and we're not going until October, so don't know how quick we'd dry off. Any suggestions?

Tom

Beta Return
Get it for Splash and wear a poncho. You'll be able to ride BTMR easily during evening EMH. Sometimes the Splash line can be longer or slower in the evenings, in my experience.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Thunder I absolutely love!! Spash I refuse to do because of the steep drop. I do not like drops!! Any other aspect of rides/coasters don't bother me even going upset down but drops and me dislike each other's. Thunder does not have any major drops so I can ride that one over and over. Lol But the other poster is right later in the evening getting on BTMRR will have shorter lines during EMH so you can ride it then without a FP. They have even let us stay on it and not get back in line over and over during EMH last year. :)

Last edited:

Kate Alan

Go for Splash. I love BTMRR, but the line does tend to be shorter, and riding at night is a whole different (and awesome) experience IMO. If you hit Splash at the height of the afternoon when it's warmest you should dry off fairly quickly.

I've found a lot of times if you don't mind missing a parade the wait time for either isn't terribly bad...I'd say wait times for BTMRR in the last hour of the night seem to be pretty low.

stevehousse

Are you going with young kids at all? If the answer is yes, you can utilize the child swap and basically get FPs for both! I'll go into detail if this scenario fits you.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
And you are only going for the day and not until noon?
We are staying on property and have magic hours from 10-midnight the day that we go to MK; our plan is to sleep in and get to MK around 12 and stay until it closes. We also have park hopper tickets, so we can freely come and go as we please between parks.

stevehousse

My favorite thing to do is get there for rope drop and immediately cut through adventure land! Go on big thunder first, then splash, Pirates, jungle cruise and the magic carpets all in the first hour! And use FPs for fantasy land rides and once those 3 are used up, go back for additional FPs for tomorrow land. We also take a break in the middle of the day! Buts that just an example that we like to do. Sometimes instead of leaving for a break, we go chill out on Tom Saywers Island for a bit!

sfeinst

I prefer BTMRR, but if you ask for a back seat (I did this twice without issues), you will not get that wet on Splash. We went in July and FP Splash for 9pm. It rained at about 7:30pm. We went near Splash once the rain slowed down. App said Splash was down, so we just waited until we heard people on the ride. The app takes longer to update. We ended up riding twice with no line. Both times in the back. Barely got wet. Then a line formed but now we had FP. It started to drizzle so we took whichever seat they offered. It was second seat. We got soaked, some because of rain, some because the ride stopped right where water shoots out and because the 1st and 2nd seat, you can get wet. OTOH, it was July and we weren't too wet by the time we got to the bus.

Toad Hall

We are staying on property and have magic hours from 10-midnight the day that we go to MK; our plan is to sleep in and get to MK around 12 and stay until it closes. We also have park hopper tickets, so we can freely come and go as we please between parks.
Minnie- An alternative to your approach would be to get to MK at opening, hang until Noon-ish and try to hit some big ticket stuff before crowds become overwhelming in the afternoon, go back to resort to take a swim/nap, and then return later in the afternoon (4:00) for an 8 hour run until midnight.

Time lost in travel will probably be an even trade for time waiting in line in early afternoon. Just a thought (and maybe your existing FP+ ressies preclude you from doing this)

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Minnie- An alternative to your approach would be to get to MK at opening, hang until Noon-ish and try to hit some big ticket stuff before crowds become overwhelming in the afternoon, go back to resort to take a swim/nap, and then return later in the afternoon (4:00) for an 8 hour run until midnight.

Time lost in travel will probably be an even trade for time waiting in line in early afternoon. Just a thought (and maybe your existing FP+ ressies preclude you from doing this)

Currently, we have Space Mountain for 11:40, Splash Mountain for 12:30 and Mine Train for 3:15; we are also going to be getting to the park at 4 pm the day before for MNSSHP, so we'll be able to get some MK rides in that night as well. Your plan would be my ideal, but my boyfriend likes to sleep in and since I'm keeping him out late for the party, I promised I'd give him at least one late morning.

stevehousse

If you plan on going to the party at 4pm, you can have access to FP+ that day as well!!! Link your party ticket to the website, but do use the hard copy to gain entry into the park. It'll let you choose FP online for that day, however, you need to do the work to make the FPs work for 4-5pm, 5-6pm, and 6-7pm. The system will generate times for the entire day, so you have to go back and change what you want to those specific times!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
If you plan on going to the party at 4pm, you can have access to FP+ that day as well!!! Link your party ticket to the website, but do use the hard copy to gain entry into the park. It'll let you choose FP online for that day, however, you need to do the work to make the FPs work for 4-5pm, 5-6pm, and 6-7pm. The system will generate times for the entire day, so you have to go back and change what you want to those specific times!
That is such a fantastic idea! Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom