1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Through or around Orlando

Discussion in 'Ground & Air Transportation' started by Patcheslee, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Patcheslee

Patcheslee Active Member

We will be spending a couple days at St Augustine before heading to Disney Caribbean. So we will have rental for our vacation. Our plan has is leaving St. Augustine around 3pm on Saturday, which means hitting the Orlando area around 5pm. Is the traffic worse cutting straight through Orlando on I-4, or the round about 417?

2. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Take FL 417. Even outside rush hour it is the better choice.

3. donsullivan

donsullivan Premium Member

Take 417. The combination of rush hour and the major construction projects on I4 the entire length of Orlando will drive you crazy with a high likelihood of slowdowns. Be aware that there are a lot of tolls on the loop from north to south, but it's a much more pleasant drive.

4. Patcheslee

Patcheslee Active Member Original Poster

I'd rather pay the $10 to avoid a standstill, hence the reason amusement park create line jumping for $$$. Of course how distracted I'll get by whatever looks fun to check out is high. DH doesn't have much intention of driving in the city unless I break both my arms, a leg, and poke out an eye. Lol

5. donsullivan

donsullivan Premium Member

Couldn't agree with your more. I just prefer to call out the toll difference on that route as some simply will go out of their way to avoid a toll road no matter the alternate cost. And I certainly do not want people to be surprised by the tolls, especially if you come from an area without any toll roads.

6. RustySpork

RustySpork Well-Known Member

I love that so many people hate and refuse to use the toll roads, makes it a much nicer drive for me.

7. lazyboy97o

You shouldn't be worried about getting distracted by the sights of FL 417. There isn't too much of interest. You will in all likelihood get a nice wiff of the Orange County Landfill.

8. RustySpork

RustySpork Well-Known Member

Which sadly still smells better than the area between Test Track and Mission Space. :joyfull::facepalm:

lazyboy97o likes this.
  9. lazyboy97o

Thanks for making me almost spit my beverage on my keyboard.

RustySpork likes this.
  10. Patcheslee

Patcheslee Active Member Original Poster

Between working with CNC machine coolant, Indiana fields, and baby diapers my immunity is high lol.