Thrill tolerance of 3 y.o.

KordovaJD

Original Poster
My three year old is about 40 inches, and I wouldn't be surprised if she hits 44 inches before we get to WDW in May.

She doesn't scare easily, and is a bit of a daredevil.

So here's my questions mousketeers, what is your personal thrill ride tolerance for what rides you take a 3 y.o. on?

Kendrab1223

My daughter went on the barnstormer coaster when she was two and had a blast. She just went on it again last Friday (she's four now) and was crying when she got off of it. An hour later she was begging to go on Haunted Mansion and loved it (it is now her favorite ride) and is planning on attempting Mine Train when we go back next week. She was not a fan of the stitch "ride" but I think that was because of the barrier that was put between us (the overhead things that keep you from getting up, or in her case, clinging on to my arm). Since you think she will be tall enough when you go next, I would hold off of Space Mountain. My 9 year old is still trying to convince himself he can do that one!

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

I would start with a kiddie ride and go from there. If she does great, then go to the next level, otherwise leave it this way, don't push it. You can also watch the rides with her and see if she wants to try it or not.
As you know, all kids are different, and what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.

NYwdwfan

DON'T take her on anything too fast / too scary, too soon or it'll take you years to get her back on the rides.

I can't emphasize this enough.

Also, sometimes it's the SECOND time that freaks them out. My son did EE a few years back and LOVED it the first time - the second time when he knew he was about to go backwards he flipped out and started crying he wanted to get off. He hasn't been back on since. Had we left it as just that first time he probably would have loved it the next trip, a year or so later, but twice in a day was too much.

HRHPrincessAriel

We took ours on everything she was tall enough for when we went this summer(40 inches). The only thing she didn't want to re ride was Star Tours when my parents took her again in Nov.

She's crazy and likes high energy stuff as well. I can't wait for the day we hit 44.

KordovaJD

Original Poster
Thanks everyone,

I was really more interested in your personal experiences with your own children. I'm a pretty good judge of my daughters willingness for excitment.

stevehousse

My oldest son at 3 loved test track and big thunder mountain, and barnstormer. (The mine train want open obviously yet). The only ride he didn't like that he was tall enough for was splash mountain. The big drops scared him. He did go on dinosaur, he didn't cry but didn't like it either. He also didn't like Soarin.

Victor Kelly

Speaking as someone who grew up going to Disney, 41 trips in 40 years, starting in 1975, Prepare them as best you can by describing the ride to them. If they hear you say you are afraid, they will be afraid. If you say it is scary, they will believe you. You will have to judge your kids, and you are the best one to do that. Some kids are fearless, like I was when I was younger. Other kids get spooked very easily.

My advice would be to try each thing they can get on, one time. If they go for it, then come back later in the day. If they ask to go again later then go.

Weather_Lady

I can't speak about 3-year-olds specifically, but my 4-year-old daughter loved Big Thunder and found the Barnstormer almost boring, yet felt that the Splash Mountain drop was too scary. It's a very individual thing. (I'd certainly avoid Space Mountain, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest with a small child, for sure -- way too rough and jerky and/or scary even if they satisfied the height requirement).

There are great videos on Youtube of each attraction. That might be a good way to give her (and you) an idea of what each attraction entails.

StarWarsGirl

Well, if she tends to be a daredevil, I would say:

Definitely:
Barnstormer
Mine Train
Test Track
Soarin'
Big Thunder Mountain

Possibly:
Space Mountain (44 inches) (be aware that it's in the dark. and it's single file, so you wouldn't be next to her)
Star Tours (the older version took me longer. My brother liked it immediately)
Splash Mountain (depends on the kid, my brother and I were both fine on this one the first time we rode)

Probably not:
TofT (I personally didn't like this one until I was 7 or 8. Ditto on my younger brother.)
Mission: Space (44 inches) (I personally don't think anyone under 5 or 6 should be on the more intense version. Less intense: maybe, but definitely not more intense)
Dinosaur (can be scary; my parents waited on this one with me until I was about 5 or 6, ditto on my brother)
Expedition Everest (44 inches) (brother refused to ride this one until he was seven or eight)
Stitches Great Escape (Not a great ride and can potentially be frightening)

My parents' rule was always that we had to try something at least once when we were tall enough, and then after that, if we didn't want to go on it, we wouldn't have to for the remainder of the trip. They did give the rule some flexibility, though. My brother was truly terrified of TofT and did not want to go on it (I could be bribed...should have said I didn't like it for longer just to keep the bribery going:joyfull:). My parents were patient, and then when we were out in DL, he decided he wanted to see what that version was like. He's ridden both versions without a problem since then. EE was similar. He rode it once, and then after that it took several trips before he wanted to do it again. I would not take a three year old on that one.

KordovaJD

Original Poster
Well, we're taking grandma and grandpa with us this year so we'll play most things by ear knowing we have their trusted care to fall back on.

I don't think we would even consider ToT or SpaceM for several years. BTM is kind of on the edge even trying this year. I'm sure we're solidly in the Barnstormer/Dumbo Flyer range. I am very surprised to hear how many peoples kiddos did not like SplashM. It seems like such a calm "story" ride for the most part, but I guess that drop is pretty serious. I think our biggest concerns are rides like Peter Pan, and the other "dark rides". We'd hate to get half way through and have her freak out. She's not typically afraid of the dark at all, but I guess the forced perspective associated with a dark ride could really screw a kid up.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
We took our 3 year old on Test Track and he was scared of the outside part where is goes fast but he did love Barnstormer. I'm planning on going with him in June and he will be 6. I'm going to take him on BTM and Soarin' this time..

KIsAPrincess

My daughter is very much like yours - tall for her age. We took her to MNSSHP for her 4th birthday (she was technically still 3 at the time). There was absolutely no wait for Splash Mountain and she said "I'm going on that." My husband and I kind of thought "yea, right - this isn't going to happen." She got right on and we sat in the front row. I thought she would be petrified of the drop, but she laughed hysterically. After that, she said she wanted to go on space mountain. And she rode it with no problem.

I think that you let your daughter be your guide, if she looks at the ride and wants to do it - go for it. A no pressure way to ride. We high-fived and bought the pictures of her first time on all of the coasters.

Kendrab1223

I thought of this thread while at Disney today. My daughter, who isn't the bravest when it comes to rides, wanted to ride splash mountain as we walked by it today. There was only a 10 minute wait, so we went for it. Everything was fine until the drop... she is glad she went on it, but will not ride it again. Another "thrill" ride (as far as 3-4 year olds are concerned) she went on today was Mine Train. She cried on Barnstormer two weeks ago, but loved Mine Train today, and willingly went on again a second time an hour later.

I agree with KIsAPrincess... let her be your guide!

stretchsje

My son just prior to 3yo was tall enough to do nearly everything at Disneyland. We did a lot of prep work like telling him that the point of Tower of Terror was to see who could scream the loudest. That was a partial success. Space Mountain was too scary. Thunder Mountain Railroad was his absolute favorite, even at night, with Radiator Springs Racers, Splash Mountain, and Soarin also high on the list.

Basically, my son enjoyed everything that didn't have unexpected motion in the dark.

Hawkeyegirl

My daughter was 3 (2 months to 4) when we went in November. She is very tall for her age and Loves rides. She went on Sourin, Test Track, Btmr, & Mine Train. SHe had her hands in the air the whole time (when I was holding on for life, lol) So it really depends on the child :) Try a small ride and go up from there..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom