Pre-Trip Those banked points aren't going to use themselves Part I

We recently took the plunge into the DVC pool. Part of our resale contract came with 156 banked points that need to be used by March.
challenge-accepted.jpg

Worry not; we’re up for that challenge! Armed with AP’s from out most recent trip, the 7 hour drive from North Georgia is not that daunting for us. We have three trips planned between now and March that includes an anniversary stay/cruise in September and a family trip the week of Christmas. This leaves us with this trip, a 4-day weekend in July (24th-27th) at AKL Kidani. First up, The Crew:
20150507_110305.jpg

DW: Laura
DD: Sophie
Me: Sean

You may remember us from such trip reports as:
Not even first world problems can hold us back
And
The not as bad as the Griswalds report as we go....Now with Wild Africa Trek pics!

This will be the first time we venture into Florida during the oven months. We expect some seriously hot and humid days and we’re ok with that as we plan on making some rope drops and being back at the pool around 11 for swim and relax time then hit the parks up again around dusk. We’ve already logged our FP+ slots and scheduled some dining reservations:
Trattoria al Forno
Beaches & Cream
Kona Café
Chefs de France

We’re excited to be making our first trip as DVC members and look forward to many more!

LisaBelle

Sounds like a fun trip. I enjoyed reading your previous TRs. I love Kona and Chefs de France. Would love to be a DVC and/or AP guest one day. I will be following along.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Sounds like a fun trip. I enjoyed reading your previous TRs. I love Kona and Chefs de France. Would love to be a DVC and/or AP guest one day. I will be following along.
Thanks for following along!

We enjoy Kona for Breakfast and dinner, we'll just be doing dinner this trip. It will be our first time at Trattoria al Forno and Chefs de France. The menus at both restaurants look pretty good and we're excited about trying some new, to us, restaurants.

DVCPluto

Awesome score on the banked points! When we bought, a few of the points had been borrowed from the current year. We though, hey - no biggie, we'll bank a few and catch up. 3 years later and we're still borrowing because we have no self control!!

Hope it's a great trip/trips! Looking forward to reading along.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Awesome score on the banked points! When we bought, a few of the points had been borrowed from the current year. We though, hey - no biggie, we'll bank a few and catch up. 3 years later and we're still borrowing because we have no self control!!

Thanks! APs and a surplus of DVC points can be a dangerous thing! You want to see no self control?!?

REZ.jpg

AND we were still able to bank 50 points for 2016! You''re probably thinking "They have enough points".

21lo501.jpg

:D:D:D:D

I've been hounding the resale markets since we closed looking for some small March UY contracts to add to my addiction...I mean DVC account. No control!

DVCPluto

Thanks! APs and a surplus of DVC points can be a dangerous thing! You want to see no self control?!?

REZ.jpg

AND we were still able to bank 50 points for 2016! You''re probably thinking "They have enough points".

21lo501.jpg

:D:D:D:D

I've been hounding the resale markets since we closed looking for some small March UY contracts to add to my addiction...I mean DVC account. No control!

I don't think I've ever been so jealous!! ;)

I always peruse the resale market - DH almost caved once. Almost.

Let the high of your original purchase sink in. You seem to have plenty!! It wouldn't be too much of a crime to have too many points though :D

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Hope it's a great trip/trips! Looking forward to reading along.

Talk about no self control - I've used up all my points for 2015 (included banked points from 2014) and have borrowed all but 10 from 2016. So unless I purchase more (seriously considering it), it's back to paying cash. Since I refuse to take fewer trips each year.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Well we have an update! Today DVC announced the Disney Vacation Club Neighborhood Beach Bash and the first date is the day BEFORE we are to arrive :eek:. Well, after about no minutes of discussion the DW and I decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to try out Typhoon for free, only problem is we need to book another night. Having already banked our points and not wanting to deal with borrowing for just the one night we decided to go cash for one night at a value. Ugh!!! The allstars are $133+ a night and POP is 140+ a night :banghead:. So we settle for ASM when I realize I haven't checked the current specials. Score! Pass holder summer deal, POP for $114, we'll take it! So, we are now planning on driving down early on the 23rd, catch the party at TL, and crash at POP for the night. The plan is to catch dinner at the resort. We still need to call member services next week to reserve our spot but we're hopeful!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Hey @lostpro9het you might want to check out the details. I think you should still be able to go staying on property- I'd hope they wouldn't force you to be at a DVC resort, but just in case you might want to consider staying at Saratoga springs or even AKL savannah view studio (these are all that is left for a studio on the 23rd). 16 and 19 pts respectively. You can rent last minute points for $8 apiece from dvcresale so that might be an alternative- Saratoga would be $128 and you don't have to slum it at a value :)
Thanks for the heads up and I did think about that. When I read the requirements they posted:
"This all-new complimentary event, available exclusively to Disney Vacation Club Members and their Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort, will take place this July and August as part of Membership Magic!"
and
"Advanced reservations are required (and non-transferable) to attend and limited to Members staying at a Walt Disney World Resort, up to the number of Guests in their Resort accommodations during event dates."

I tend to think I'll be ok. Worse case I cancel my POP on Wednesday and get a DVC room at SSR OKW or AKL.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
14 days to go! We received some more mail on Monday:
20150708_182455.jpg

These are, of course, for the one night we are staying at POP to take advantage of the DVC member event. Speaking of which, I called this afternoon and reserved our spot at the event and am happy to say we are in without issue. Now we're just hoping for no bad storms! Sounds like it will be a fun event.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
10ish days to go!!! Since we have four trips planned over the next nine months we opted for the SunPass sticker to save on tolls and the hassle of pulling in to pay the tolls, we always take Ronald Reagan to 429 to Western Way so the tolls/stops add up.

In other news, if you're looking for the perfect gift for that finicky feline in your life, we've found that MagicBand shipping boxes make for that gift:
dd16bdcf56500987dc6f5b95fd301165.jpg

c52421fd1134bbd1734397013042e242.jpg

These two have been battling over it all week. Nevermind the fact that each has their own cat bed, they prefer a used cardboard shipping box that is too small of their frame...

lostpro9het

Original Poster
5ish days to go!! Gotta hand it to the fine folks at SunPass, we ordered our pass on Sunday and got it today!

502252482dc42b097aec32ced4410c3e.jpg

Thursday morning can't get here fast enough.

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

I'm so glad you posted about the Sun Pass! I decided to get one, but had completely forgotten. I need to go ahead and do it. I get so annoyed paying tolls (just a spoiled Tennessee brat I guess) so I'd rather get it out of the way before I go down. Don't want to feel sour about Florida before I even get to WDW :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom