this world fair business

MarknSue

Original Poster
So anyway, at the risk of sounding ill informed (erm, again!) what is a World Fair anyway.
I know some of the early Disney attractions began there, but why? Ive never heard of it - although I think theres a reference in The Simpsons?
Was there just one? How long did it last? Did anybody here go??
Mark

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
1964 World's Fair. CoP debuted. The ride systems for a few rides was on display. Disney characters were there.. yadda-yadda-yadaa.

And as for the Simpson's this is the reference-

OK-Let's vote. DisneyWorld, or the World's Fair?

WORLD'S FAIR, WORLD'S FAIR!!!

OK.. I'll let you guys have it this once.

Tim S.

The NY 1964 Worlds Fair was like a combination EPCOT/World Showcase with little bit of the Magic Kingdom thrown in for good measure.

There were pavillions that were sponsored by states (perhaps the most famous being Illinois which had Disney's Lincoln attraction), countries, and corporations (I remember both Ford, and GM having Disney-type rides, along with GE and CoP of course).

I was only 7 at the time and for a kid who never got to Disneyland it was the next best (if not better) thing. It left a real lasting impression on me. I still can't believe they built this large & expensive park and then just tore it down after two years (I believe it ran from 1963-1964). The area is now a park with a few buildings and the Unisphere (the symbol of the WF) still standing.

NowInc

I could be mistaken..but isn't there still a Worlds fair going on in the world somewhere? I don't remember where I saw it..or what country it is in...but I do recall seeing something about a new worlds fair being held...

Maria

I may be wrong, but I think the last World Fair was in Hannover last year and it ran from April-May to October. I have heard that at the beginning of the year the place for the one on 2010 will be chosen and Mexico is running against Argentina and I think China.

Debbie

The 1984 World's Fair was held in New Orleans. It was sadly a bust. Some days less than 100 people went. It went bankrupt. But I loved it and went every week then every day the last month it was open. A few countries were represented but not enough to consider it a "World's" Fair. When I learn how to use my scanner I will post the mascot as my avatar. Thinking about it reminds me of the food there. There were broccoli and cheese pies, crawfish pies, Fruzen Glage ice cream, and baklava.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom