Trip Report This was supposed to have been last year's trip!

Hello all fellow Disney geeks! I'm Dave, & I'm proud to say that I am to, & to a milder extent so are my wife & son-- but I am the family's over-the-top Disney fan: I'm a former home-based travel agent for AAA of western NY for only Disney destinations, so I am a "College of Knowledge" Disney grad as well . . . I gave this up when AAA got to be a pain to deal with-- nothing at all against Disney-- it was all AAA.

Last year we started a post on our upcoming trip to WDW. My wife Andi & I would be coming on our own for the 1st time to celebrate our 25th anniversary as our son Kevin would be in college (he'd asked for his last summer "kid" trip with us to be hiking with our dogs in the Adirondacks) . . . BUT I've heard it said that if you want God to laugh, tell Him your plans: Just before the end of his senior year in high school, Kevin developed pain in his left shoulder, & after visits to doctors & then to the E.R., he was ultimately diagnosed with a rare pediatric cancer. But that same God who threw us that curveball also blessed us with living in Buffalo NY with the excellent Children's Hospital & Roswell Park Cancer Institute in our backyard.

Upon diagnosis, the doctors warned that there'd be a very difficult 8 months or so ahead, but they were committed to helping Kevin beat this. And they were right: it was absolute hell for Kevin & for us as well, but true to their word, Kevin is now well & finally getting his life back! At his request, further info. is being kept strictly confidential, so there will be no more details given.

But some minimal mention was necessary to explain the reason behind this year's trip. As he was still 17 when diagnosed, hospital staff put us in touch with Make-A-Wish, & while Kevin at 1st was hesitant to accept, the Make-A-Wish representatives assured him that they're not just for little kids & that they exist for the purpose of helping all kids-- big & small-- to have a great time after they'd been thru such a tough one. They discussed many possible plans with Kevin, but he ultimately decided that he wanted to go back to WDW-- a place he knows & loves & where he can do what he likes at his own pace, as he's still recovering. M-A-W managed to get Kevin's wish granted before his 18th birthday, their cut-off age. Now that the background info's over, here are our upcoming trip details:

Our 2016 trip had been planned for August for 2 in Port Orleans Riverside. Thanks for the help from Kingdom Konsultants to replan from 2 to 4 for this year. We'd been planning to take Kevin & either his cousin or a friend to celebrate anyway, even before hearing from Make-A-Wish. So we now have 2 rooms at All-Star Music for 5 nights with a 5-day (4 + 1 free) pass. Kevin invited Garrett, one of his closest friends whom he'd known from 14 years of school together. This part of the trip Andi & I pay for, & thanks to Jill of K.K. for keeping up with all of our changes! Then we start with Kevin's MAW portion of the trip: 6 nights at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, then 2 nights at Daytona Beach. So we'll have 13 nights in FL!

After our initial self-funded time at WDW, Make-A-Wish is providing passes for 4 to 1 day at SeaWorld, 2 days at Universal, & 3 days at WDW, including hoppers & water parks, lodging & contribution toward meals & expenses. All they ask for in return is that we meet with their affiliate Give Kids the World & provide MAW with photos & notes. I'm a published photographer from the days of film, currently using a digital SLR with multiple lenses on a recreational basis, so I'll just be sharing with them what I'd be doing for fun anyway!

So this should be a wonderful trip with a lot of fun! MAW & GKTW seem to know how to manage things , , , I was concerned at 1st 'cause without advance info re. our #s, I couldn't preset fast passes, just our meal reservations for their part of the trip, BUT-- they provide the MAW child's group "Genie Wishes Pass" (access to alternate access to all parks & events, & no fast passes necessary) which is really good news as Kevin's still rebuilding his endurance. Of course we're all looking forward to being in attendance for the opening weekend of Pandora-- hoping there'll be a soft opening we can access before the official date!

This will be all of our 1st time at SeaWorld. For the Z's, this is our 2nd time at Universal & 6th at WDW . . . I was also there twice each in the '70s & '80s . . . Kevin & Garrett were there together for their senior class trip in November 2015. After a very difficult past year, we're all looking forward to just relaxing & having fun together! This catch-up-to-date has been a bit lengthy, but I promise that updates will be more concise. We enjoy reading the other posts . . . this is actually the 1st completed one of our own!

Itinerary in next posting , , ,

Dave Z

Original Poster
Day 3: Sunday, May 21st, 2017 @ Animal Kingdom

No sleeping in: We have pre-park-opening breakfast reservations at Tusker House! Going
thru bag-check, Garrett's the lucky one who earns a full-body wand scan. Of course we
asked him if it tickled! We then settled in for a filling breakfast punctuated by photo ops with
the Main Mouse & pals. We then headed to Expedition Everest (2x), Dinosaur & Safari before
Kevin & Garrett ditched the old-timers. While Dave & Andi took in Jungle Trek, Flights of Wonder,
Festival of the Lion King & (we admit it!) Primeval Whirl, plus took many photos along the paths
of what we consider the most beautiful Disney park, the boys did their own thing, including 15
trips to Everest. They rejoined us for dinner at Yak & Yeti, our favorite restaurant at WDW.
Unfortunately, we couldn't get into the soft "invitation only" opening for Pandora, so we had
another Everest & Dinosaur excursion together before the boys went their own way, & we
wandered around 'til we went to wait 2 hours for Rivers of Light, which was 1st delayed 3 times
& then cancelled due to its chronic technical issues. The boys laughed at us for wasting 2
hours for a 15-minute show which never happened! Any feedback out there if the DL version in
CA had so many issues?

P5213478.JPG

P5213509.JPG

Garrett and his pal Goofy!
P5213506.JPG

Kevin and Mickey!
P5213516.JPG

P5213520.JPG

The Mountain calls to us.....
P5213556.JPG

P5213558.JPG

Nap time already?

P5213550.JPG

P5213573.JPG

Dave Z

Original Poster
Day 4: Monday, May 22nd, 2017 @ Magic Kingdom

& the 3rd day @ WDW dawns! Early rising because we have 7:30am breakfast at 'Ohana.
Problem: buses don't run resort-to-resort. Solution: ask the concierge the evening before,
who recommends we call transportation to send a cab right before we leave our rooms to
walk to the main lobby. Sure enough, the cab was there within 5 minutes, picked us up at
7am, & for $20 (including tip) had us at the front door of the main lodge at the Polynesian
with more than enough time to check in & wander the lobby before being seated for another
excellent breakfast. The highlight, of course, was photos with Stitch. Then it was a quick
monorail trip to the MK for another magical day, as we were borderline delirious from
exhaustion on our 1st 1/2-day in that park!

Dinner was at the Jungle Navigation Canteen. We hadn't been there before as it opened
since our last visit, but were eager to meet the staff who we'd heard was armed with bad
puns to rival the Jungle Cruise staff. We weren't disappointed! Even more impressive was
the menu & the preparation quality. This place definitely stays on our come-back-to list.
The only snag was that they were extremely busy, being newer & in the heart of the MK
bustle, so we weren't seated 'til 45 minutes after our reservation time. We'd be in a rush to
make the 1st of our evening fastpasses. As an apology & to thank us for our patience, the
manager gave our table 4 fastpasses good for any attraction during our stay. Very nice of
her. No hard feelings!

So another fine day wound down. I think Kevin was surprising himself with the level of his
endurance. Garrett's a fine friend who was willing to go at Kevin's pace & slow for a breather
anytime necessary, & by pacing themselves, were getting in full days of fun.

End of Andi's summary, but Dave will sign on again in a few minutes to post photos from the day!

Dave Z

Original Poster
P5223747.JPG

P5223743.JPG

P5223754.JPG

P5223797.JPG

With all the talk about closing Tiki Birds I had to post this photo!!

P5223800.JPG

P5223807.JPG

There was a long wait for Splash Mt this morning, Andrea & I had FP+ for first thing

P5223820.JPG

From top of Splash Mt.

P5223832.JPG

We all stop back for a quick swim then back to MK.

P5223841.JPG

The view outside our 3 floor room.

Dave Z

Original Poster
Day 5: Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 @ Hollywood Studios

Off & running for another day! But something's missing: seems very different the 1st time
you look down the street to NO Mickey's Sorcerer Hat! I know there's mixed feelings about
it & it wasn't in the original plans, but I miss it . . . Wish they'd found another corner to
move it to instead of just storing it away. Anyway, of course we hit all the headliners together:
Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster & Star Tours, return with fastpasses & repeat, then
stroll around to see what's new at the shops. We fill in the morning wandering about with no
particular plans & caught a portion of the Stormtrooper March . . . hmmm, very in-character.
We check scheduled times & make note to be camera-ready later in the day. But for now,
it's time for lunch, especially since none of us was hungry for breakfast! Everyone wants
burgers from the ABC Commissary-- decent & easy. Yum-- they've got BBQ sauce, even tho
they don't tell you, we noticed & will: Surprise-- it's Sweet Baby Ray's! Love it!

Very hot today & the boys want to head back to their room & food court to cool off for a bit
(yes, Kevin brought his Firestick, & Southpark's calling!), so we do to shortly after, except
that we get cold drinks & head to the pool. After a dip, we wander the grounds taking photos
for a while, then head back to our room to get ready for dinner. We have a special surprise
for the boys: Dave bought himself a Hawaiian shirt & a dress for me in the same print! We'll
have to head back before them so they can't threaten to not join us 'til 1 of us changes! S0
Dave let's 'em know we're going a bit early to take photos & will meet them for dinner.

Now's our opportunity for photos of the march of the First Order & the Star Wars stage show: simple but nicely
done. Great when the march back off stage commenced & the stormtroopers "shoved" their
way back thru a break in the crowd. Launch Bay also was very well done, with the documentary
& displays. Now it's time for dinner & yes, we got a double-take from Kevin & Garrett when we
showed up @ 50's Prime Time, another of our favorites. (I think they're used to the old guys
embarrassing them by now.) We all order fried chicken ("easiest table I've cooked for all day!")
& of course see how we can set each other up to get scolded by Auntie! Dave liked his veggies
this trip, so he didn't get his sundae served on top of them this time! Then it was time to play a
bit more 'til it was time to head back "home" to sleep it all off 'til the next day.

EPCOT next -- Andi
Pictures in the next post!!

Dave Z

Original Poster
Day 6: Wednesday, May 24th 2017 at Epcot

The last official day of the Zolnowski-funded portion of the trip dawns; the remainder will be
courtesy of Make-A-Wish & Give Kids the World. We forego breakfast 'cause we know that as
we wait to enter the park, we can score some yummy giant donuts from the vendor by the
entrance as a treat. Of course the initial entry is again halted for another wait, but this one is
punctuated by 3 cast members doing a percussion performance on galvanized trash cans. We
wait with Kevin & Garrett 'til rope drop, but then we have separate agendas right from the start.
The boys head immediately to Test Track & Mission Space while we go to Soarin'. We get there
early eno ugh that we can wait 12 people back from the beginning of the standby line, & then use
our fastpasses to go a 2nd time, as we hadn't seen the redone version. BUT technology has
other plans for us, & there's going to be an undetermined delay with opening. We wait it out &
share some Disney talk with the other folks in queue, but as the wait exceeds 40 minutes,
everyone's patience starts wearing thin. After watching the cast members conferring yet again,
Dave finally approached one & explained that soon even our fast pass time would be exceeded.
She replied that she understood, & that our fast pass would be good to use at any other attraction,
then gave him 2 fast pass tickets to bring us back to Soarin' without a wait. We thanked her & left
to head for the Seas, with Dave being sure to tell everyone we passed in line (which extended up
the stairs!) that courtesy fast passes were being given to guests inconvenienced by the technical
issues! I wonder how many were asked for that morning . . .

So for us, to the Seas & several photos at the aquarium. Then off to visit Ellen at U of E to bid
farewell as this may likely have been the last time we get to see it, & then it's time to recheck
Soarin' (nice enough, but isn't it shorter? each segment could be longer) & get lunch at Seasons.
Then to World Showcase which was fun to see what's been changed at all. I'd had my heart
set on lunch in Morocco, but our Soarin' delay made that run too late, especially as we wanted
to be really hungry to enjoy our luck at finally scoring dinner at Le Cellier in Canada. So we
wander, talk to the cast members from the different countries, plan our potential purchases
for when we're back in Epcot again in a few days, wait out a thunderstorm, then meet the boys
at Le Cellier to enjoy a really wonderful dinner. A special treat, the we won't often do another
2-meal-credit dinner. After dinner, we went shopping at Disney Springs (Lego store!) & then
returned for our last nite at Music.

Andi Z

Dave Z

Original Poster
Day 7: Thursday, May 25th 2017 at Give Kids the World & Sea World

We're up extra-early to make the 20-minute drive from WDW to the Give the Kids the World
campus; before driving out, we've got to pack up a luggage cart with everyone's suitcases,
duffels & totes to leave at the Music lobby to be moved to the Wilderness Lodge to be waiting
for us that evening.

This is the dawn of the Make-A-Wish portion of the trip. GKTW is an organization that works
closely with MAW to help seriously ill children realize their WDW wishes. They have a beautiful
& fun campus designed to allow children & their families to enjoy themselves in an interactive
make-believe resort. We met with Christie, who went thru their packet of info, contact #s, tickets
& passes, then gave us a brief tour before showing us to an area where Belle, Pluto & Mickey
himself were visiting for some good meet & greet & lots of pictures; we were then invited to have
breakfast at their cafeteria before getting on with our day. On our way out, they even had 2 bags
full of snacks, games & WDW & SW plushies for Kevin, nice keepsakes to remind us of their
kindness. I think they were amused to see 2 boys just on either side of 6' tall trying to negotiate
their kiddie chairs before taking us to an adult-size conference room! Many, many thanks to
Make-A-Wish & Give Kids the World for all they do for so many children, especially our son!

We then drove to Sea World, which we'd never been to before. We were impressed with how
nicely maintained the grounds & facilities are. Unfortunately, Kraken, their #1 coaster, was down
for refurbishment, but Kevin & Garrett enjoyed repeated rides on their Manta & Mako coasters,
aided by a special-access pass: they were allowed to enter thru the exit, where an attendant
guided them to the next-boarding ride. They even got a special treat: their "back door" entry
got them in line for Mako well ahead of the rest of the crowd coming in at opening, so the ride
attendant agreed to let just the 2 of them have the 1st trip of the day all to themselves! We went
to the penguin attraction (fun & educational at the same time), which, to our surprise, let us out
into their penguin exhibit, complete with enormous swimming tanks for the birds, and kept at
their preferred temperature! Beautiful & very refreshing-- we stayed 'til we were turning blue!
We had burger lunches & caught the sea lion show, did a little gift shopping, then returned for
more Mako & Manta rides before heading out a bit early: we did, after all, have to check in at
Wilderness Lodge & retrieve our luggage before dinner!

What a gorgeous resort! Even in the midst of some refurbishment, it's exceptional. After getting
our rooms into some semblance of order, we bussed to Disney Springs for dinner at Paradiso 37.
This goes on our must-return-to list! Some of the best seafood we've eaten anywhere, & the boys
were impressed with the waitresses-- as they put it, all very easy on their eyes! We then returned
to WL for pool & hot-tub time (aaahhhhh!!!) before showers & bed.

Andi Z

Dave Z

Original Poster
Day 7: Friday, May 26th 2017 at Universal

Another change of scenery as we break up the WDW trip with a visit to Universal. We have a 2-day
pass courtesy of MAW & GKTW, but need to redeem that for admission tickets at the main counter.
We're then off & running behind the boys as they decide what to do first. As we wander the park, it
seems to me that they have improved the visual image noticeably since we last were there 6 years
ago. Attractions there seem built more for the thrill than an overall concept, but they've made much
improvement, especially in the Harry Potter area. Kevin & Garrett elect to begin with Rip Ride Rock It,
which is a novel idea due to its ability to allow each rider to select "mood music" to ride by. The boys
enjoyed giving me more modern suggestions. We also revisited the Mummy attraction-- still fun! On
the advice of a family friend, we made sure to check out Jimmy Fallon's Race thru New York, which
was much more entertaining than we at 1st thought it would be. We then took in the sights of Diagon
Alley & Grigott's Bank vaults before having lunch & boarding the Hogwarts Express for the journey to
Hogsmeade & the school itself. Universal has been doing an excellent job with 3D. It was slightly
disappointing that they no longer run the 2 Dueling Dragons coasters simultaneously, as apparently
riders were occasionally bombarded with items dropped from the other coaster, but they're still quite
good; Kevin & Garrett liked the "special pass" perk of being allowed to ride the red dragon coaster &
then being allowed to immediately re-enter & ride the blue. Other fun included the Jurassic Park flume
ride, a show starring Sinbad (hoakey but fun), the Kong/Skull Island simulater ride, the & the Hulk coaster,
which features a fun sudden acceleration just before launch. Of course, we repeated the boys' favorites
several times! For Dave & I, however, the highlight may have been finally having dinner at Margaritaville!
Yes, we're raging Parrot Heads . . . We shopped a bit before our reservation time, then enjoyed a
really top-notch dinner -- everything fresh & well-prepared. & the staff went above & beyond to make us
feel welcome & made the experience an even better time. We left Universal that day tired but with
very pleasantly filled tummies. Time to repeat the pool/hot tub/shower/bed routine!

Andi Z

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom