This is terrible! (Thread orginally posted 9/11/2001)

StarWarsGirl

It's almost too surreal that it was 12 years ago. No matter what part of the US you were from or part of the world that was not on the side of the evil forces that committed the act, you were definitely shaken by everything. Here's a news video clip of Disney World closing as a precautionary measure and guest reactions.

Never forget.

I remember reading about this in a book about WDW history. It makes sense that they closed. Also very surreal.

Nemo14

I'm so glad this was bumped back up this morning. This thread is just so chilling, and Tramp, we know you're still with us in spirit. You really led the troops that awful day!
It was interesting how much security was at the airports I was in today. Even in line to board the plane, there were TSA agents talking with the passengers.

mightyduck

THANK YOU to Steve for keeping this after so many years. I can't go back and reread it yet--I know it will leave me sobbing. Sobbing for what we all lost that day, for the compassion shown here, and for my dear friend, Tramp.

Thank you to everyone who came here to remember today. To my WDWMagic family, you are always close to my heart.

luv

Another Thanks to Steve and all who hav allowed this thread to stand...a permanent reminder of the events as they unfolded here.

Although it was horrific and monumentally tragic for those directly involved, it was a terrible day for all of us. Thank you for preserving this small bit of its history.

Sped2424

DL-0911-empty-500x375.jpg

This one is always crazy for me, http://thedisneyblog.com/2011/09/11/disneyland-on-911-two-cast-members-remember/
Must have been such a sad and strange day there.

Pecosburger

I was on the Path train (train from NJ to the WTC) at the time the first plane hit. The train stopped and we were in a tunnel. I was on my way to the World Trade Center to surprise my best friend with something (If was to go into detail the gift and story would blow your mind). About 1/2 hour later the train started to move and we were ordered off the train at the last station in NJ. By that time we knew that a second plane had hit. Stunned is an understatement. The rest of my day is chaotic and one that i will never forget. I never got to give the gift to my friend. He worked in the towers and did not get out.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This is like looking back in time....a very dark time. Now I'm reading that entire thread. :(
Every year I go through the IRC logs of a channel I op. I was at work at a MECOM Hospital (DDEAMC, to be exact) at the time, and couldn't get on IRC due to network restrictions (among other things...wanna see a base go on high alert quickly?)...anyhow, I had to read it later that day.

We post it over there every year since then on the topic ...and it's quite a read.

My father was still Active Duty, and was supposed to be in the Pentagon that day...but it was under renovations.

That section there is where the JAG offices used to be. The office I used to play in as a kid when he'd take me to work...the office where I met Colin Powell...etc...gone.

It was shocking, and tragic...and sad.

Years later I got the job I have now, and the guy who employs me used to work for Akamai, pretty much since the beginning.

He's got a much more interesting 9/11 story...involving a close friend (and boss) there...Danny Lewin.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/09/tech/innovation/danny-lewin-9-11-akamai/index.html

The interesting thing is that...Akamai was having trouble selling their solutions to mass media companies (like CNN / Fox, etc) because the executives at these companies didn't seem to fully understand the future of online media.

He used to tell his sales and strategy teams that "It's going to take some major world event, something massive and tragic that everyone wants to see live around the world to break their servers and convince them that they should buy our solution." (I'm paraphrasing...obviously)...

Well, before noon that day, Akamai sales teams began to get destroyed on the phones. Customers that had been luke warm to even cold the day before wanted it turned on...and turned on NOW!

In a way...Danny forsaw the event that made his company what it is today. Had that not happened, there's a good chance Akamai would have failed.

At least...that's how the story has been told to me from someone who knew / worked directly for him.

EOD K9

Thank you so much to all of the firemen, police officers, EMTs, and military who put their lives on the line for all of us every day. Bless the souls of all those who lost their lives that horrible day and bless the families who lost their loved ones. United we stand! God bless America!
Thank you and you're welcome.

Tom

Beta Return
Every year I go through the IRC logs of a channel I op. I was at work at a MECOM Hospital (DDEAMC, to be exact) at the time, and couldn't get on IRC due to network restrictions (among other things...wanna see a base go on high alert quickly?)...anyhow, I had to read it later that day.

We post it over there every year since then on the topic ...and it's quite a read.

My father was still Active Duty, and was supposed to be in the Pentagon that day...but it was under renovations.

That section there is where the JAG offices used to be. The office I used to play in as a kid when he'd take me to work...the office where I met Colin Powell...etc...gone.

It was shocking, and tragic...and sad.

Years later I got the job I have now, and the guy who employs me used to work for Akamai, pretty much since the beginning.

He's got a much more interesting 9/11 story...involving a close friend (and boss) there...Danny Lewin.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/09/tech/innovation/danny-lewin-9-11-akamai/index.html

The interesting thing is that...Akamai was having trouble selling their solutions to mass media companies (like CNN / Fox, etc) because the executives at these companies didn't seem to fully understand the future of online media.

He used to tell his sales and strategy teams that "It's going to take some major world event, something massive and tragic that everyone wants to see live around the world to break their servers and convince them that they should buy our solution." (I'm paraphrasing...obviously)...

Well, before noon that day, Akamai sales teams began to get destroyed on the phones. Customers that had been luke warm to even cold the day before wanted it turned on...and turned on NOW!

In a way...Danny forsaw the event that made his company what it is today. Had that not happened, there's a good chance Akamai would have failed.

At least...that's how the story has been told to me from someone who knew / worked directly for him.

Wow....that's crazy!

Nemo14

As many of you know I live very close to our airport, and am well used to the noise of take-offs and landings throughout the day. The silence those next days while flights were grounded was just so haunting....hard to explain.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
This is like looking back in time....a very dark time. Now I'm reading that entire thread. :(

MSNBC aired the original Today show from 9/11/01 as events were happening - I watched it last night and got goosebumps. Knowing what we know now, it's very raw to see as events unfolded that day.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I was on the Path train (train from NJ to the WTC) at the time the first plane hit. The train stopped and we were in a tunnel. I was on my way to the World Trade Center to surprise my best friend with something (If was to go into detail the gift and story would blow your mind). About 1/2 hour later the train started to move and we were ordered off the train at the last station in NJ. By that time we knew that a second plane had hit. Stunned is an understatement. The rest of my day is chaotic and one that i will never forget. I never got to give the gift to my friend. He worked in the towers and did not get out.

:( my heart breaks for you *hugs*

LuLaSue

Love and prayers...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom