This is terrible! (Thread orginally posted 9/11/2001)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Here's some news, from about the only news site I can get to right now.

Two planes have smashed into the World Trade Centre towers in New York and the Pentagon is in flames in what is being described as the worst terrorist attacks in history.

It is reported two United Airlines passenger planes were hijacked shortly before the first plane struck the Trade Centre in Manhattan.

One was thought to be a 737 capable of carrying more than 100 passengers. Another is believed to be a Boeing 767 taken from Boston airport, the FBI said. A 767 can carry up to 269 people.

There were reports a third plane slammed into Pentagon just outside Washington DC.

The first plane smashed into the top stories of the tower, leaving two gaping holes in the side.

Minutes later another aircraft approached, turned in the air and crashed into the lower storeys of the second tower - the footage was seen live on TV stations around the world.

The second explosion engulfed several floors.

More than 50,000 workers would have been in the building at the height of the morning rush-hour.

A person who answered the phone on the trading floor at interdealer-broker Cantor Fitzgerald, located near the top of the World Trade Center, said: "We're f***ing dying," then hung up. There was screaming and yelling in the background. A follow up call was not answered.

"This has got to be one of the most horrendous terrorist attacks perhaps ever perpetrated," terrorism expert Chris Yates told Sky News.

At least 1,000 people have been reported injured. The 110-storey 1,360ft tower is in lower Manhattan.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/storytemplate/storytoppic/0,,30000-1029102,00.html

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not hearing any unusual activity from NAS JAX yet...I'm sure they're in "lock-down" I suspect no one can even drive by the base right now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Bush Will 'Hunt Down' Attackers

US President George W Bush has vowed to hunt down the people behind "an apparent terrorist attack on our country".

He was speaking about half an hour after the first plane hit one of the tallest buildings in New York.

"I have ordered that the full resources of the federal government go to help the victims and their families," he said, before asking his audience to hold a minute's silence, and offering a prayer for the victims.

"Terrorism against our nation will not stand," he said.

Last Modified: 14:47 UK, Tuesday September 11, 2001

http://www.sky.com/skynews/storytemplate/storytoppic/0,,30000-1029109,00.html

mightyduck

I'm getting a report from a friend who lives near the Verrazanno inBrooklyn that all the emergency vehicles from Brooklyn and Staten Island have jammed the roads trying to get to lower manhattan.... lights and sirens...

DisneyFreak

Original Poster
I would also hope that they cancel any and all sporting events scheduled for today. A full stadium is just another target.

mightyduck

NYU hospital, only hospital south of 13th st, 5 minute walk from WTC, said steady stream of casualties in the past 90 minutes...seeing mostly superficial injuries...

they are first responders, handled WTC bombing in '93....they have personnel at towers, too

DisneyFreak

Original Poster
I would like to say that my thoughts and prayers go out to all and especially those friends on this board that live in and around New York. I hope everyone is safe.

mightyduck

my best friend's brother is in manhattan now--she spoke to him by cell--he said complete pandemonium and panic now--no way for people to get home

thousands of emergency workers are arriving, walking to the WTC...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom