This is it!

Rinx

Well...9/5 will mark my final annual trip to WDW. I am just beginning my final full week of work. Such a glorious feeling but not as amazing as I'll feel on Friday at 3:30! This will be a very bitter sweet last trip. I am so thankful to have been fortunate enough to have visited the last 23 years. We have been DVC members since close to its inception. My father lives in FL and has been a CM for quite sometime which has made these trips over the years so manageable. It will be a very fun, no doubt, but also emotional trip. My brother and myself live in the Northeast and big changes are sweeping over us. It's difficult to see our traditions come to an end but it really is for the best of reasons. My brother will be getting married next summer and I myself will be moving out of state to begin my life with my fiancée. As old traditions get cast off, new ones will surely be made. Although our annual father-sons trips are about to cease, perhaps greater family trips are on the horizon. It is easy to feel a little sad this tradition is ending but I can smile more because they happened. My father takes it the hardest because these trips are usually the only time of the year we can get together but I know he wouldn't have it any other way. He's already fantasizing and looking forward to when the future grandkids will come to WDW for a visit. But until then the three boys have one last romp! Look out WDW, see you next week!

Please share some of your great family stories!

KCheatle

Ya know, it's definitely hard to say goodbye to yesterday. Especially, when you've been doing this for so long. But, try to remember that it's not over completely. When I got married, my husband had NO IDEA what WDW was all about. In fact, he had never taken a vacation with his family the entire time he was growing up and was not keen on the idea. By contrast, my family was huge about vacations. My parents worked a lot, and so the only time we really got 1-on-1 time for any extended period were family vacations, and for the first 10-12 years of my life, those vacations were to WDW. When those vacations ended, it was a bit hard. But at that time, I was a teenager, and so my siblings and I pushed for "more grown up" vacations (interestingly though, we always seemed to end up back at some Disney-related thing on the "grown up" vacations ;-) )

When my DH and I had our daughter, my parents wanted to take us to WDW and my DH was vehemently opposed. It was "too expensive," "a waste of time," "childish," - you name it, he thought it. I was really bummed that we may not be able to have this tradition with our family. However, thankfully, he caved and begrudgingly got on the plane to WDW. But, it was on that trip that he converted, and I'll never forget the moment.

We were calling customer service to ask which princesses were at the princess breakfast at Epcot. The cast member listed them out, but the list didn't include Ariel. My DH asked, "Well, why won't Ariel be there?" And, the castmember just very matter-of-factly said "Well...because Ariel doesn't have any legs." And, my DH just looked at me like, "Is she serious? LIke, everyone believes all of this stuff here?" It was at that moment, that he realized this was not just your typical Six Flags, and that we were in an entire other world where the real world just didn't exist.

Taking my DH on that trip and having that conversation with that castmember was the beginning of a new tradition for our family. Although my DH still grumbles about the cost, when we start packing for our WDW trips he gets out his trusty WDW backpack, his Mickey sandals, WDW shirts, etc. etc and he's as excited as anyone.

So, I don't blame you for being sad that your tradition is ending. But, remember, you've got a lifetime of new traditions and stories that will come from this next chapter in your life.

Upvote 0

Rinx

Original Poster
@KCheatle I love that part about Ariel. Some folks don't understand the magical difference and the quality of customer service. Even with just that phone call the CM was telling part of the story. That is definitely an "Ah-ha moment" for your DH, that's awesome he came around!

WDW is absolutely still in my future but just in a different light (and time interval :p). My fiancée and I met during our college program so there's already a heavy Disney connection in our relationship. Sure I won't have all the same silly traditions and quarks as we had over the last several years but that just means new ones will develop! Like you said, it's just the end of one chapter and the beginning of another :) Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

@Rinx beautifully written-you've tugged at my heart strings. I understand the bittersweetness of this. Wishing you a wonderful trip.

I had a similar experience years ago. I had gone with my mom and aunt for years since my childhood when I fell in love with Disney. We had an absolute blast on every trip together and made great memories.
As I grew older, we still went through me starting college. My mom and I had a 4 night trip booked in the beginning of December one year and were so excited. A few months after booking, I met who is now my husband and we fell in love quickly. It killed me to leave him for a few days going so far from home but we did it. My mom and I went on this trip together, kind of realizing that this would be our last trip together for a long time as my life was changing.
Soon after our trip, DH and I booked our first trip together and have gone yearly ever since. We have had many incredible trips, our Disneymoon being our favorite.
We are going again in March for my 29th birthday and then after that (fingers super crossed) we will be going on a family trip (Me, DH, my mom, and my aunt) the following January!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rinx

Original Poster
Thank you, @DisneyPrincess5 ! :) I think we relate quite well. We thought that once my brother and myself finished college and got full time jobs that would be the end of our trips but we still managed! I consider the last few years to be a bonus. I can't wait to have the experiences you had with your DH. My fiancée and I haven't been to WDW together since leaving our CP and are very much looking forward to our imminent return in the future.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom