News Third Suicide Jumper off of Disneyland Parking Structure This Year

TP2000

Original Poster
TDA has simply got to figure out how to prevent this! Three suicides in less than a year, and quite a few previous suicides off of this structure in the past decade. What's the fix? Metal screening?

I really feel badly for the CM's working in the parking structure who have to deal with this routinely. Can you imagine the CM's who found him, or the CM's who saw it after it happened? Now imagine if three people per year were committing suicide off the TDA building how quickly and frantically that problem would be fixed for the white collar cubicle drones in that DLR work location. The hourly Parking CM's deserve just as much care and protection from dealing with routine suicides in their workplace that white collar folks would get ASAP!

"A man who jumped to his death from the Pixar Pals parking structure marks the third suicide in less than a year at the Disneyland garage complex where thousands of visitors enter and exit the Anaheim theme park resort every day.

Anaheim Police responded to a call around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 1100 W. Magic Way of someone jumping from the Pixar Pals parking structure at the Disneyland resort, according to Anaheim Police spokesperson Sgt. Jon McClintock."

Disney Analyst

TDA has simply got to figure out how to prevent this! Three suicides in less than a year, and quite a few previous suicides off of this structure in the past decade. What's the fix? Metal screening?

I really feel badly for the CM's working in the parking structure who have to deal with this routinely. Can you imagine the CM's who found him, or the CM's who saw it after it happened? Now imagine if three people per year were committing suicide off the TDA building how quickly and frantically that problem would be fixed for the white collar cubicle drones in that DLR work location. The hourly Parking CM's deserve just as much care and protection from dealing with routine suicides in their workplace that white collar folks would get ASAP!

"A man who jumped to his death from the Pixar Pals parking structure marks the third suicide in less than a year at the Disneyland garage complex where thousands of visitors enter and exit the Anaheim theme park resort every day.

Anaheim Police responded to a call around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 1100 W. Magic Way of someone jumping from the Pixar Pals parking structure at the Disneyland resort, according to Anaheim Police spokesperson Sgt. Jon McClintock."

Clearly they need to install barriers that prevent this, one was too many.

Disney Analyst

That is probably the best solution, a higher fence won’t stop a desperate person, they need hope, not a bigger deterrent.

I can add, they added suicide prevention bars to a bridge here, and there have been no jumpers since (that I am aware of), where as the second crossing that still does not have any, continues to see shut downs due to medical emergencies.

It is totally doable, and lots of solutions out there.

In this case I would say, fully fence off the between layers, and add high bars/fencing of some sort to the top level that is hard to climb.

Vegas Disney Fan

I can add, they added suicide prevention bars to a bridge here, and there have been no jumpers since (that I am aware of), where as the second crossing that still does not have any, continues to see shut downs due to medical emergencies.

It is totally doable, and lots of solutions out there.

In this case I would say, fully fence off the between layers, and add high bars/fencing of some sort to the top level that is hard to climb.
I just wonder if that would ultimately prevent the suicide or just prevent it at that location.

It would certainly benefit DL and its CMs at the very least.

TP2000

Original Poster
I wonder how much preventative engineering can really do in situations like this. And will it ultimately just relocate the problem to other tall structures?

The issue is that Orange County is still a mostly suburban place. Tall buildings are rare, and most are office buildings with limited access, or hotels with balconies but also high room rates.

What makes the Disneyland parking structures so luring to people in this condition is that they are just tall enough (6 stories) to ensure death, but also completely open and accessible to anyone who walks by. You don't even have to pay the $30 parking fee, you can just walk right in and go up to the 6th floor at any time.

I'm really intrigued why TDA hasn't done anything about this since the suicides started in the late 2000's. There's been over a half dozen of them since, and three in just the past 11 months.

I can guarantee you that if TDA white collar folks, or Burbank studio employees, were faced with a public suicide in their workplace every few months that there would be immediate and instant change to prevent it. But for whatever reason, when it comes to the working class Parking CM's and the dumb schmucks guests heading back to their cars after the fireworks, no one in TDA or Burbank seems to care about this.

And that part is not acceptable. It wasn't acceptable after the 2nd suicide, and it's not acceptable after the 7th or 8th.

Minthorne

I wish they find support and compassion to get past the dark point in their life.

“If just one person believes in you…”

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyElse

I wonder how much preventative engineering can really do in situations like this. And will it ultimately just relocate the problem to other tall structures?
It would probably be helpful. I recently read "Talking to Strangers" by Malcom Gladwell. There's a section that touches on this subject. Here's part of a synopsis from lifecharts . com . :

Gladwell offers the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco as further evidence of suicide as a coupled behavior. Since its completion in 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge has been the site of over 1,500 suicides. Statistics suggest that suicide is coupled to the Golden Gate Bridge. A survey conducted by psychologist Richard Seiden revealed that of the 515 subjects who tried to fall from the bridge but were restrained before they could go through with the act, only 25 went on to kill themselves in another manner. In conclusion, people who go to the Golden Gate Bridge to die want to die at that moment, on that bridge. They do not have a general desire to die.

Also, of relevance to the public thought process:

It wasn’t until 2018 that the city constructed a suicide barrier around the bridge. Gladwell attributes this delay to society’s unwillingness to see suicide as a coupled behavior. As evidence, Gladwell cites a national survey that found that 75 percent of Americans believed a suicide barrier would not dissuade suicidal people from taking their lives some other way. Gladwell uses these findings as a segue to a second set of mistakes humanity makes when talking to strangers: “we do not understand the context in which the stranger is operating.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom