Thinking of driving down with an infant. Crazy?

Scoppin

Hello, all.
We are thinking of taking a late August trip down from NJ with our 5 year old son and 8 month old daughter. We know our son will be fine because he has made the trip twice already. However, has anyone traveled this distance with an infant before? Is it worth it? Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks!
Hi,

Not sure what you are driving and this does not have much to do with who your children will be. I have a van so we have three rows of seats. Whenever we drove, mind you not the same distance, adults sat up front and children sat in the middle row. I turned the back row into a change station. I put a couple of change table clothes down on the seat. then also had wipes, diapers, cream and anything else needed either on the seat or nearby on the floor. This way, if needed to change a diaper and was not close enough to a service station, I could just pull over to the side, preferably off the highway where it would be safer, and change a diaper.

Now my two are old enough they both just sit in the back; play together, watch movies and snack.

cheesecake

I'm also from NJ, and we've always driven! My little sister's first road trip to WDW was when she was 18 mos old. Whichever one of our parents wasn't driving sat next to her. We had plenty of snacks, toys and a tv in the minivan. We stopped more often for her to be changed and just held for awhile (she was a bit of a high maintenance baby, and she hated the car) but we got there by the end of the day.

When it comes down to it, you know your baby. If you think your family can do it then go for it! If not, breaking the drive into two days isn't the end of the world. Good luck!

steviej

I'm also from NJ, and we've always driven! My little sister's first road trip to WDW was when she was 18 mos old. Whichever one of our parents wasn't driving sat next to her. We had plenty of snacks, toys and a tv in the minivan. We stopped more often for her to be changed and just held for awhile (she was a bit of a high maintenance baby, and she hated the car) but we got there by the end of the day.

When it comes down to it, you know your baby. If you think your family can do it then go for it! If not, breaking the drive into two days isn't the end of the world. Good luck!

Hi! I'm from NJ too. Northern NJ, Bergen County. About how much do you spend in gas round trip?

cheesecake

Hi! I'm from NJ too. Northern NJ, Bergen County. About how much do you spend in gas round trip?

I'm in Ocean County! Not entirely sure on the gas. I always go with my family (parents and two younger siblings) so the gas buying is on Dad! If I was to guess, it would be $250- $300 round trip? We take the 10 year old minivan. It also depends on gas prices, etc. Still cheaper than flights for 5!

Kathy T

Original Poster
I'm in Ocean County! Not entirely sure on the gas. I always go with my family (parents and two younger siblings) so the gas buying is on Dad! If I was to guess, it would be $250- $300 round trip? We take the 10 year old minivan. It also depends on gas prices, etc. Still cheaper than flights for 5!
I'm in Ocean County, too! We are all booked and ready to make the trip!

John C. Shepherd

Trips with infants are fine, as long as you bring the correct supplies to keep them entertained. DVD player is a must aong with toys, and music.
We have traveled with our kids since they were born, and have made it simple for them and us.

slappy magoo

No matter what, it'll be a crap shoot, that's what having kids is. Both kids could be awesome on the drive, either or both could be terrors. One factor is sun - even if you have some sort of sun guard over the rear windows, they can get hot (or even sunburnt) sweaty and miserable. Last time we drove down with an infant (6 month old, with her sister nearly 4 years old), we did it during the night to minimize their being awake, but we wound up seeing (not being a part of, just seeing) the results of some graphic accidents, so now my wife is paranoid about doing too much of the drive at night. We also got hit with some overnight construction that pushed us back 2 hours.

At the same time, the last time we went (when kids were 2 and just past 6), we tried to time the trip to avoid DC traffic but not middle of the night, with a hotel booked in Savannah for the night, and we got stuck behind so much traffic, so much construction, so many detours, as well as needed bathroom and lunch breaks, cleaning up car sickness, etc., that 7 hours into the trip, we were averaging driving about 35 miles per hour, then had to speed and scramble to make our overnight hotel, about 11 pm.

So now we're stumped about what to do. Kids don't know this but we're planning a brief December trip as well, so any money we can save on one trip can go to the other. But then there's the hassle, or at least the potential hassle, of the drive down, something we're all already anxious about instead of looking forward to. Even the kids, who have an ungodly amount of entertainment options while we drive (dvd players, amazon fire tablets, kids' innotab tablets, books to read, activity books, etc.). But we can't find a flight in our budget, at a convenient airport, with all the other cards lining up we need to have lined up to make work.

So hey! Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom