Thinking about trying Hokas

Kristia

Original Poster
@ChristaH - the Hokas definitely take a little getting used to. In Brooks, I wear a whole size larger than I do with regular shoes. I went with a half size smaller than my Brooks with the Hokas and they still feel a little big but I am afraid to go too much smaller. I also feel like they are bigger when I walk but comfortable when I run. They aren't a "miracle" shoe for me as I am still having some shin pain but I seem to be recovering faster than I was before and don't have quite the pounding feeling in my knees. I think I really need to rest up for a month or so but I can't with a marathon coming up. I am definitely taking a little time off after that!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I went to my local running store today to look into getting new shoes and found that they now carry Hokas in stock! They were out of my size so I tried on the next half size up just to see what they felt like. Very interesting. They felt way too roomy...not just because they were a half size too big...they were roomy all around. But definitely very cushy.

I left more confused about what new shoes to get than ever. I've been running in Mizuno Wave Riders. They have only about 215 miles on them (used only for running) but are showing wear right in the middle of the forefoot and ONLY there. The guy at the store says that the location of the wear is a good sign that I am not heel-striking, and that I am not over- or under- pronating. Because the wear is so pronounced in that one spot, he recommended going with a new shoe that has more forefoot cushioning. I tried on a Brooks Ghost, Mizuno Creation and Saucony Ride. The Saucony felt the lightest and most natural. I felt like the Brooks was trying to make me pronate more (I naturally supenate a little). The Mizuno felt heavier than the Wave Riders I've been in, but felt the most supportive. The guy kept telling me to go with the ones that felt more "natural". These will most likely be the shoes I run the half marathon in so I'm nervous about making a selection. Advice from the experts? Waiting a couple of weeks until they have Hokas in my size is also an option.
Holy Cow, I used to wear Mizuno products, until I figured out they wont last 250 miles. The wave riders were my favorite shoe out of the box, but after 50 miles, they were done. So much leg pain back in the day with those products.

ChristaH

That is good feedback about the lack of durability in Mizunos. I am glad to know it is not just me. Would you expect any better in the Brooks or Sauconys? They are about the same price point I wondered if there would be any difference.

ChristaH

Came home with the Saucony's and they are definitely going back to the store. I ran 3.5 miles in them and about half-way through, my arches were aching and my feet were slipping around in the shoe. I like my shoes tight but they convinced me that my old shoes were too tight for long distances so we went up half a size. I'm tempted to just go back and get another pair of Wave Riders. They may not have lasted long but they were super comfy.

Kristia

Original Poster
@Mad Stitch - I think I am going to stick with them. I only have a bit over 200 miles on mine (I have been slacking over the winter). Out of curiosity, I tried running in my last pair of Brooks. I only did 3 miles and I could feel everything and didn't like it. My hip hurt, my knee hurt and I just felt like I was pounding on the pavement. The only problem that I have with mine is the material on the side is starting to tear. According to the their facebook page, the new model Bondis have been improved so that doesn't happen.

lukacseven

Interesting read. My impressions of HOKA were that they were designed for Ultra runners (distances greater than a marathon during a single run). I like reading reviews/opinions on how other people fare in various shoes. I was a bit surprised on some of the assessments in this thread. Based on my own experience, the more cushion in the shoes, the more issues I have in my knees, hips, feet. I've found the lighter shoes with the least cushioning perform best for me during longer runs (marathons & halfs). I can't imagine the HOKAs are a good treadmill shoe??? I've also read some reviews that the HOKAs don't last very long (which I thought was odd for an Ultra shoe).

Mad Stitch

Yah, I cant decide whether or not I want to try them. I would rather strengthen my legs and not need to rely on lots of cushioning, but I also don't want problems with shin splint pain weeks before a race like I experienced last summer.

Kristia

Original Poster
I know it is counter-intuitive to what most running experts say. I haven't tried minimalist shoes because I overpronate and do need some cushioning to correct that. I had horrible inner shin issues last summer to the point that I couldn't run without it really hurting. With the Hokas, at least so far, I have had no issues and my husband said that when running behind me, I am nice and even. I don't run on the treadmill so I don't know about that. I do know that when I first started running in them, I felt like I was tripping over my feet if I didn't pay attention because their footprint is larger than any other shoe I have tried. I also feel like I recover faster in that I am not as sore the next day after long runs.

I am using the Bondi 2 right now which I think they market as their all-around running shoe. I think if I was just doing 5ks I might be fine using Brooks (which I loved) but I have been doing at least a couple half marathons and maybe a full so I think I benefit from the extra cushioning. That is just my take. Everyone is different. I do think they take a bit of getting used to. Boulder Running Co offers a 2 week trial. If you don't like them, you can send them back.
ETA: I have read reviews about them not lasting long too. I think @joel_maxwell said he got 700+ miles on his? Can't remember. My cushioning is still fine but I do have the small tear in the mesh on the side.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I am still a proud user of Hokas. My version is the Stinson. I get around 500 out of them, then convert them to weekend shoes or something. I have 2 pair of Stinsons right now that I am alternating, doing an experiment to see of over time, alternating the shoe gives the cushion time to rebound a little and get a few more miles out of them.

I first tried the Bondi's and got a solid 700 out of them. Still use them to wear in the gym and still very cushy and comfy.

@Kristia you are right. The Bondi's started tearing up on the sides with the material they went with. They have corrected that. I still stand by their product and I know I wouldnt have run last weekends 50m so successfully if it werent for this footwear. Oh, and minimal soreness from the day.

I also got my parents to try the Bondi's for when they travel. They have reported tons of walking and minimal soreness on the world travelling they are doing.

Mr mom

I am still a proud user of Hokas. My version is the Stinson. I get around 500 out of them, then convert them to weekend shoes or something. I have 2 pair of Stinsons right now that I am alternating, doing an experiment to see of over time, alternating the shoe gives the cushion time to rebound a little and get a few more miles out of them.

I first tried the Bondi's and got a solid 700 out of them. Still use them to wear in the gym and still very cushy and comfy.

@Kristia you are right. The Bondi's started tearing up on the sides with the material they went with. They have corrected that. I still stand by their product and I know I wouldnt have run last weekends 50m so successfully if it werent for this footwear. Oh, and minimal soreness from the day.

I also got my parents to try the Bondi's for when they travel. They have reported tons of walking and minimal soreness on the world travelling they are doing.

I leave for florida in a little over a week and I am going to try them again and most likely bring a few pairs home with me. With the knee issues I have been having extra cushioning etc is a must. I also over pronate like kristia and that was my worry as these do not have a bar in them but if she is doing fine, I should to.

Mad Stitch

Now that I'm back to running outside regularly I've begun to feel some slight shin splint pain again. So I just ordered some Hokas, I went with the Conquest model. They were pricey but I have a wellness program at work that will cover the cost of running shoes.

Mr mom

Picked up two pairs of Stinson tarmac, love them thus far. Of course I have only been walking, no running but they have a nice fit and tend to push my feet into proper alignment which is nice. They are too big for my wife but she wore them around for a little while and loves the feel, she is thinking about getting some before we head back to Canada.. Nick and Joel should become official spokesmen for the company I think.

Mad Stitch

My Hokas arrived yesterday and I used them for my 5 mile run today. With my first few steps I could really feel a difference from the additional cushioning. Within a few minutes though I didn't even notice it anymore and was comfortable throughout my run. When I was done I didn't feel any shin splint pain at all. I'm not too sure if I like the speed laces though. I'll try them out for a few weeks but I may switch them out for the regular laces that were in the box. Overall I really like my Hokas and I'm going to keep them.

OG Runner

It is funny how runnning shoes will vary and how the results for the shoes vary from person to person. Over the years, I have worn most brands. I landed on Saucony, though I also liked Asics & Brooks. Feedback is always appreciated and helps to know where to start, when you have a specific need. I hope the Hokas keep you running long and comfortable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom