Thinking about trying Hokas

JillC LI

I bet we could find a mule. :)

When we were at the Grand Canyon recently, I actually read that Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Canyon is one of only two locations in the US that still get their mail delivered by mule. I am curious what the other one is - I should look that up.

Kristia

Original Poster
When we were at the Grand Canyon recently, I actually read that Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Canyon is one of only two locations in the US that still get their mail delivered by mule. I am curious what the other one is - I should look that up.

That would be a cool job! Well...as long as weather conditions were nice.

Mr mom

Runningwarehouse.com carries them and they do have international shipping. The price is about the same as Boulder Running Co but I am not sure what their shipping charges are. They actually have a 90 day return policy so they might be worth checking out.

cool, thanks

Kristia

Original Poster
Haha! Not yet. Supposed to be here by the end of today. I am supposed to run this evening so I hope I get them before then! I checked tracking and they just arrived in NJ today but it doesn't say "on truck for delivery" so I may not get them till tomorrow.

ETA...Just checked the tracking. It changed the delivery date to tomorrow. Grrrrr...:cry: :banghead:

Last edited:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Haha! Not yet. Supposed to be here by the end of today. I am supposed to run this evening so I hope I get them before then! I checked tracking and they just arrived in NJ today but it doesn't say "on truck for delivery" so I may not get them till tomorrow.

ETA...Just checked the tracking. It changed the delivery date to tomorrow. Grrrrr...:cry: :banghead:
If you are like Nick @Donald Duck and I, you would stalk the delivery truck and find it in town.

Seriously... we have done it.

Kristia

Original Poster
Unfortunately I am at work, so I will have to wait till I get home. :) I am out in the boonies so our truck goes all over. It could be anywhere! Probably should have had them shipped to work which is even more in the boonies but I could have tried them out at lunch! Lesson learned. I actually didn't run yesterday and got some errands done so I could save my run for today. I am stalking the tracking site though for updates!

Phonedave

I have run in them since their beginning( the Mafate trail versions). They served me well for quite some time.
Some things you should know: because they cushion so much, your legs can feel more tired near the end of a race. Granted, my races were 100 milers and the 500 mile, but there is no energy return with these soles. If you plan on trails, the wide platform can create a lever on your ankle and destroy them. I won't wear them on technical trails anymore, and have saved them for asphalt to save my hips. I stick to custom Euro trail/mountain running shoes now. Good luck.

Thanks Nick. That is what I was worried about. I have been doing technical trails lately (lots of softball to cataloupe sized and shaped rocks) and my feet are fine - my ankles not so much. I was looking at Hokas, but was thinking that the wide soles would actualy make things worse.

-dave

Kristia

Original Poster
Ok....here it is! I finally got them and tried them out! I did 3 miles today which is less than I have been doing but I didn't want to go super far my first day out with them. My first few steps I thought...ut oh.. these are weird and I am not sure if I am going to be able to run in these. After about a quarter mile, I was huffing and puffing and felt like I was going super slow. Looked at my watch and my pace was 10:45. Ok, not as bad as I thought. Felt like I was doing a 13 min mile. I quickly settled into them and they felt good. I never really knew what if felt like to "not feel the road" but it really is true with these. I still had my usual shin pain (about the same as before) but the real test will be how I feel tomorrow. Since I was only doing 3 miles today, I was able to go a little quicker than usual and finished with a 10:22 pace with negative splits. I was quite winded at the end but I am not sure if that was from the shoe change or the pace. That was the fastest I have gone in a while. Probably a combination of the 2!

Last edited:

joel_maxwell

Ok....here it is! I finally got them and tried them out! I did 3 miles today which is less than I have been doing but I didn't want to go super far my first day out with them. My first few steps I thought...ut oh.. these are weird and I am not sure if I am going to be able to run in these. After about a quarter mile, I was huffing and puffing and felt like I was going super slow. Looked at my watch and my pace was 10:45. Ok, not as bad as I thought. Felt like I was doing a 13 min mile. I quickly settled into them and they felt good. I never really knew what if felt like to "not feel the road" but it really is true with these. I still had my usual shin pain (about the same as before) but the real test will be how I feel tomorrow. Since I was only doing 3 miles today, I was able to go a little quicker than usual and finished with a 10:22 pace with negative splits. I was quite winded at the end but I am not sure if that was from the shoe change or the pace. That was the fastest I have gone in a while. Probably a combination of the 2!
AWESOME. Like Nick and I have said, give it 2 weeks for your muscles to adjust. That is a great description.... "not to feel the road" and very true. These shoes saved my running.

Phonedave

I have run in them since their beginning( the Mafate trail versions). They served me well for quite some time.
Some things you should know: because they cushion so much, your legs can feel more tired near the end of a race. Granted, my races were 100 milers and the 500 mile, but there is no energy return with these soles. If you plan on trails, the wide platform can create a lever on your ankle and destroy them. I won't wear them on technical trails anymore, and have saved them for asphalt to save my hips. I stick to custom Euro trail/mountain running shoes now. Good luck.

So, @Donald Duck Nick - would this be a Hoka trail, or do you think it would roll too many ankles. This is where I do the bulk of my running (Run 1.5 miles from my house to this location, run around here till I drop, then run back home - that is the recipe)

-dave

232323232%7Ffp54349%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3697656%3A%3A6348nu0mrj

joel_maxwell

The terrain at Oak Mtn I run in has sections of much more technical than this. This is around the norm for most of my runs. Ive only rolled mine once, and it was because I wasnt paying attention. I would have rolled it no matter the shoe I was wearing.

Since I have owned both, the Stinson's had a harder edge (side) if that makes sense on the heel, and the Mafates have a softer side edge. I like the Stinsons better, but the Mafates make for a better fit for my terrain.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
So, @Donald Duck Nick - would this be a Hoka trail, or do you think it would roll too many ankles. This is where I do the bulk of my running (Run 1.5 miles from my house to this location, run around here till I drop, then run back home - that is the recipe)

-dave

232323232%7Ffp54349%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3697656%3A%3A6348nu0mrj
You should be ok Dave with that terrain. It doesn't look bad. I would however, suggest not wearing hokas at Delaware Water Gap, blue and red trails ;D

Phonedave

You should be ok Dave with that terrain. It doesn't look bad. I would however, suggest not wearing hokas at Delaware Water Gap, blue and red trails ;D

So then the Giant Stairs on the Palisades are out? (I don't think it is possible to run that section - scramble on all fours, yes)

232323232%7Ffp54382%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D369788%3A353348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73485%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D369788%3A352348nu0mrj

joel_maxwell

I dont know Dave, I went to a social screening of this movie last Wednesday and this dude was running some gnarly stuff. at full speed in the doc. Good film.

Phonedave

I dont know Dave, I went to a social screening of this movie last Wednesday and this dude was running some gnarly stuff. at full speed in the doc. Good film.

Thats pretty cool. He is on all fours a few times though. Those sections do look like the Giant Stairs.

I have to get back over to the Palisades and run some of those trails. They are a great mix. Flat going north and south. 400+ feet of elevation in half a mile going east and west.

-dave

ChristaH

I went to my local running store today to look into getting new shoes and found that they now carry Hokas in stock! They were out of my size so I tried on the next half size up just to see what they felt like. Very interesting. They felt way too roomy...not just because they were a half size too big...they were roomy all around. But definitely very cushy.

I left more confused about what new shoes to get than ever. I've been running in Mizuno Wave Riders. They have only about 215 miles on them (used only for running) but are showing wear right in the middle of the forefoot and ONLY there. The guy at the store says that the location of the wear is a good sign that I am not heel-striking, and that I am not over- or under- pronating. Because the wear is so pronounced in that one spot, he recommended going with a new shoe that has more forefoot cushioning. I tried on a Brooks Ghost, Mizuno Creation and Saucony Ride. The Saucony felt the lightest and most natural. I felt like the Brooks was trying to make me pronate more (I naturally supenate a little). The Mizuno felt heavier than the Wave Riders I've been in, but felt the most supportive. The guy kept telling me to go with the ones that felt more "natural". These will most likely be the shoes I run the half marathon in so I'm nervous about making a selection. Advice from the experts? Waiting a couple of weeks until they have Hokas in my size is also an option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom