Things you do leading up to trip

LowesChevy

I do many of the other things the op addressed of course. Here is how I begin:
Making sure I have plenty of socks, undergarments, shirts and shorts that fit a month or so before we leave ;). You still have time to order or go buy an item if you need it if you start early! I plan some outfits and make sure shirts and shorts coordinate--nobody wants to commit blavy-black and navy or wear plaid and stripes that last day of the trip right?!

Same with toiletries. I have my favorite products and they must be either bought in a more travel friendly size or I fill up the travel safe containers. Luckily we stop at the grocery store so we can pick anything else we need or may have forgotten along the way.

I get a new pair of shoes a couple of weeks ahead of time and make sure everyone else has newer sneakers ready to go. I wear Brooks and they are the most comfortable sneakers I've ever put my feet into-never need to break them in much-just make sure there is room for my toes. I bring Birkenstocks and flippy floppys for the pool or dinner, but I mainly stick to the sneaks for going to the parks. If you are prone to blisters bring some moisture wicking socks and moleskin.

Checking on my photo equipment is a priority a couple weeks ahead of time as well. Do I need a new memory card or tripod? I get my battery and back ups prepared and packed. I am currently taking a photography class, so I will probably be on Amazon buying some goodies before I leave. Don't forget to pack that charger!

With about a weeks time to go we get everyone's clothes laid out and a day before we leave we pack it all up. We compare and contrast what everyone is bringing and make final decision. Bathroom bags and pop up laundry hampers are last to go in.

Again living on the boards, watching Disney movies and listening to music, which I do every day anyhow hehe. I print out the all of the paper back ups for our reservations just in case and have a folder with all of the information in it including CM appreciation cards and Mousekeeping envelopes when needed.

Upvote 0

disneyfirstLJ

1. Plan (Which parks, which days, ADR's, FP+, etc.)
2. Monitor WDW for special offers and discounts
3. Watch for closures
4. Purchase pins for trading
5. Purchase gift cards and save for spending money
6. Make "must do" list
7. Walk for exercise and to break in any new shoes
8. Listen to podcasts, watch YouTube and visit boards
9. Purchase Disney attire on sale
10. Enjoy the countdown!

Upvote 0

sheriffwoody

I have a countdown on my wall at work that I update every day. I've also given myself a little "health challenge" to try and lose a little weight before the trip. Gotta make room for all that F&W food :p Anyway, if I meet my challenge goal, I'll be getting myself an extra $50 Disney gift card to use!

It's fascinating to see that people start packing so early! I'm usually just starting on the morning we leave o_O

ETA: I have been listening to Disney Parks playlists online at work. Love hearing my favorite sounds while I work!

Upvote 0

Tink28

Apart from booking Resort, Dining, etc
Check Countdown on a daily basis (why?)
Have bought new suitcase
got out holdall bags to pack at bottom of new suitcase (flying home premium economy so extra 2 bags!!)
Fill in my schedule on the Vacation Planner on http://www.thedibb.co.uk/
Make shopping lists (one for to stuff to take to WDW, one for stuff to bring home)
Buy items for trip and cross of list
Get in some extra walking on the beach before we go
Check dining each day in hope of LTT dining being released
Read this Website!!

Upvote 0

allymonkey

- Printed all directions to and from and back again for the trip in case GPS fails us
- Created spreadsheet, (don't judge...I have real issues :)) with all of the days we will be there and all park hours, including EMH for each day. Spreadsheet also breaks down which park will be our main park for that day, FP times and ADRs

I thought I was the only Disney planning geek who did that! My spreadsheet also includes our packing lists- one page for each person in the family and a page of items that are used by everyone like toiletries, DVD's, snacks, etc. And I literally make a list and check it twice-- once when I set the items in our guest room as I gather everything together and once when it goes in a suitcase.

Upvote 0

MississippiBelle

When I was still in school, I would drive home and take walks with my mom to "get our feet ready" (hint: nothing can prepare your feet but everybody loves that feeling of laying down in your Disney bed and letting the exhaustion of a great day take over). I've just recently found D-cot and now I listen to it while I'm at work! We still have over a year so I haven't decided if this is helping or making it worse... :( I haven't quite caught the crazy packing bug from my mom but she is known to start packing months in advance and experience the perils of needing to wear something from your Disney trip pile!

Upvote 0

hollymc3

I thought I was the only Disney planning geek who did that! My spreadsheet also includes our packing lists- one page for each person in the family and a page of items that are used by everyone like toiletries, DVD's, snacks, etc. And I literally make a list and check it twice-- once when I set the items in our guest room as I gather everything together and once when it goes in a suitcase.
I too have a spreadsheet. Why reinvent the wheel each time. We always go the last week of January. So the weather is similar each time. Everything from swimsuits to gloves :)

Upvote 0

Mamaof2QTs

Wow!! You guys make me look normal. Better yet, I feel unorganized next to some of you!!

I use an app called Cozi for my regular grocery shopping, but I have creating a checklist for packing. I love it. I never forget anything. Plus if I think of something we should bring next time, I whip out my phone and add it to the list.

My husband and I start planning the drive. I usually have an Option A, B and C. We have little kids so instead of powering through like we used to, we plan an extra day or day and a half to drive so we can stop along the way. We figure out all the possible times we could leave and I work out, in a spreadsheet, all of our favorite stops plus look for some new things to try.

Next I try and get the house as clean as possible, because the closer we get to our departure the less time I have to clean! Don't forget to clean out the fridge too!

Next it washing EVERY scrap of laundry in our house, followed by a mid-week wash.

Run to the bank to get ones and coins for tips and laundry, plus little rides along the route (e.g., duck feeding or those cheesy rides in the Wal-Mart entrance).

Make sure our SunPass still works for the tolls. Every minute counts when you're that close!!

I have a bag that Fits between the car seats that I fill with toys. Some of the toys are the same every trip (magic markers that only work on special paper with a clip board). Usually I start watching for what toys the girls like at this age that are small enough, but versatile enough to keep them happy. I locate all the Disney DVDs (not Blue Ray) for the car's DVD player.

I look through my Cozi Packing list the weekend before to make sure we don't need to buy anything.

I don't actually pack until two days prior. Between the list and having lots of stuff permanently packed and ready to go, it doesn't take long to pack. I have a kitchen shelf dedicated to Disney stuff, so it's all in one place. I keep toiletries packed year round with only a few exceptions (e.g, toothbrushes).

I also make an effort to get the kids to watch Disney movies that aren't their favorite just so they'll know who Dumbo is when they ride him.

Upvote 0

Ben_since_1971

Read menus, plant outfits, watch 1 Disney movie every weekend, and every day, without fail, update my Countdown to Disney. :)

Does that work? I could use some new clothes! What do you use for seeds? ;)

I was wondering the same thing - how far apart do you plant them, what's the best time of year, how long until harvest....... :D

What's Stacey????

Stacey is the goddess of in-room television. I wish she did must-dos for every city I stay at on business!

For me, leading up to my next trip starts before I end my current trip. I make mental notes of things I want to do differently next time (I'm a scheduling geek that way). Since I have taken advantage of the bounceback, and I know what dates my next trip will be, I mark off the 180 and 90 (for golf tee times) and 60 day dates on my calendar. Then I plan, dream, plan, dream, check this board daily, etc. Once I make the final payment, I then see how I am going to dole out the spending money portion of the trip. It's a combination of Visa points and cash, and I set money aside in envelopes for spending money, golf, etc. I'll set aside the golf shirts I will be bringing when I swap out my summer clothes for winter (we go in December). Then it's just making sure I have everything, or making a list of what we'll get when we get there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom