Things for a Family With Young Kids to Do on the "Off" Days

Tom P.

Original Poster
Hey folks.

As I've said before, we're headed back to Disney World this fall. Will be staying for 10 days/9 nights at Art of Animation. We are a large family, with my wife and I plus 5 kids ages 8 and under.

Here's my question: Our our previous visits, it's mostly been "all parks, all the time." This time, we're building in a couple of days away from the hustle and bustle of the parks. What do you suggest as the "must do" or "should do" things away from the parks that a family with young kids would hit? Obviously, we'll spend some time at the resort pool and arcade, but beyond that, what do you think makes for nice activities (and ones appropriate for little kids) on a non-park day?

(BTW, I'm talking pretty much about stuff on Disney property, rather than venturing out into the Orlando area.)

Thanks,
Tom

Cosmic Commando

#1 is definitely Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-a-long. It's really fun, and "free" depending on whether or not you want food (you can bring your own s'mores stuff and hot dogs to roast). The movie schedule is released monthly, and the concierge at AoA can get it for you if you can't find it online. The only negative is that it is sort of a pain to get to.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
They have movies by the pool in the evenings. Resort hopping is always fun and you can make a challenge of going to each resort and try to take every form of Disney Transport as possible.

NiarrNDisney

Boardwalk and the surrounding resorts are always an nice break where you can paddle a swan boat, play a round of putt putt golf a Fantasia Gardens, rent a boat and drive around Crescent Lake, take a Surrey bike rides, try your luck at the Midway games, watch magicians, jugglers and the like along the boardwalk. Plus shopping, dining and so much more

Downtown Disney is nice for dining, shopping, and just relaxing away from the parks but its also where you can find Disney Quest, other activities like floating high above the buildings in a large balloon, bowling, movies, boat rentals and a couple of rides for the young ones!

Fort Wilderness is known for a myriad of activities that include Barbecues, Biking, Hiking, Horseback riding, Wagon rides and I believe there is still a small petting zoo

Tour the resorts specifically:
~ Animal Kingdom Lodge& Kidani Village wear you can check out the animals hear a story around a campfire or learn more about cultures in the little room off to the right of check in
~ Art of Animation and the Pop for some larger than life photo ops with characters and pop culture icons
~ Contemporary for some site seeing shopping or play some games in the large Arcade
~ Wilderness Lodge is a great place to check out especially the water falls and geyser

Last edited:

Tinkerkelle

Hey folks.

Our our previous visits, it's mostly been "all parks, all the time." This time, we're building in a couple of days away from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

That's our plan too, except we're leaving the parks a bit earlier and building in non-park stuff that way. We've planned meals at some of the resorts and intend exploring, especially AKL which I've always wanted to visit but never got round to. When we leave HS we're going to take the friendship boat to The Boardwalk and explore there and have an ADR for Beaches and Cream to try The Kitchen Sink. Also going to check out POFQ (and try beignets) and take the boat to DTD from the POFQ dock. There's a real food theme coming through here, and boats!
DTD is brilliant, especially the lego store (for my two boys, anyway!!) We were there for almost 2 hours looking at all the models and then the boys built and raced their own creations on the little track outside the store. They knew they wanted to spend their holiday money there so selecting the exact, perfect set took some time too!
The activities at your resort should be fun. They have a schedule of what's on offer each day, including games at the pool and the nightly movie.
Have fun!!

DiSnEyF@n

I agree that the Boardwalk is a nice place to go to. You could also check out that hotel, the Yacht and Beach Club (inside and out) because it is beautiful and you can walk around the Swan and Dolphin. You can always take a bus from any one of those hotels and go to DTD for dinner (or plan a dinner at one of those hotels). You have so many options. Also, if you wanted to, you could sit on the beach at the Yacht Club and watch the fireworks from Illuminations at EPCOT at night.

Have fun!

SAV

I would definitely play a round of Mini Golf.

Spend time in Downtown Disney. They have a big Lego store and many other activities.

Resort Hop

I don't think the water parks would be good for your situation with 5 kids under 8.

DizneyPryncess

Some of my favorite things we've done with our daughter on "off-days":

-Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian
-Mini golf at Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland
-Renting Surrey bikes if our resort has them
-Walking the nature trails at Wilderness Lodge
-Hidden Mickey hunting around the resorts or DTD
-Visit Downtown Disney
-Movies Under the Stars at the resort
-Marshmallow roasting at the resort

This time on one of our off days, we decided to do the Pirate & Pals fireworks voyage in the evening. That way we're not trying to jam it into a park day. A fireworks cruise might be something to look into, if you think your family would like that. :)

Scott10

We schedule a late character breakfast at one of the resorts, then hit up a boat ride to DTD from Riverside to let the kids spend the money they have worked so hard to save and then relax at our resort pool and enjoy being on vacation. We have found that after the travel from Ohio and a couple of long days in the parks our kids very much enjoy that day of relaxation with little to no actual planning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom