They don't like the English at DLP!

Jellyfish

To be honest that is slightly true. Us English mostly can't be bothered. When i choose French as an option (i have no idea why i already hated learning it) i quickly gave up and couldn't be bothered with it. I still got a D in my GCSE though which was just like WOW!

And to be honest most Enlgish don't really like the French or Germans so its just one of those things i think. :)

Let by-gones be by-gones in my opinion.

Blink Me

Well sometimes i speak french to them, but they reply in english anyway so there's no point. and the staff probably need to speak english anyway for the people who visit from holland, spain, germany, italy, norway etc. who don't speak french and might understand english better.

Disneyparisfan

If you put off going to DLRP just because of what this one friend said, then you will miss out on a great experience.

Tha park wipes the floor with anything you can get in Britain. The cast are (for the most part, occasional grumpy ones excepted) highly conciencious and helpful, 'full of pixie dust' to quote others. I've never had a bad experience with one.

I have been on numerous occasions, (10+ anyway, lost count) my only regret is not going sooner. I foolishly waited till my DD was 5, we could have gone much earlier, it is a great place for kids of ALL ages.

In Paris itself sometimes things are different, but not to such a degree it would put me off.

Anyway, any CM trying that comment on me would regret it. I'm by no means fluent in French, but I know enough 'street' French to tell him what I thought!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They don't teach other languages till sophomore year at my high school.....most people speak some form of spanish though...

But of course, how else could one communicate with ones domestic staff?
Im not sure how Spanish would help in France, though there are some similarities with Italian, but no theme park.

Besides everyone can speak English, its a sort of unwritten rule.
:drevil:

Martin2k5

heh...

geordies

*snigger*

crazy crazy people - they seem to be able to withstand - 10oC tempretures with just jeans and a tshirt :eek:

I live near Newcastle... I am not crazy in the slightest. I also don't wear jeans and a t-shirt in 10oC temperatures and I don't know anyone who does.

Ilovewishes

In my experience, it's not just the Geordies. It's British teens as a whole! And I'm a 24 year old Brit so that was me not so long ago!

Obviously, you lose the ability with age - I'm far too attached to my coat, gloves and scarf now!

cmatt

In my experience, it's not just the Geordies. It's British teens as a whole! And I'm a 24 year old Brit so that was me not so long ago!

Obviously, you lose the ability with age - I'm far too attached to my coat, gloves and scarf now!

geordies was just a observation, a bit of merriment on a thread that was negative initially. - that was obviously not taken in the light manner it was intended....

More to the point i was taking the ________ out of the stereotypes reported by some people on here :ROFLOL:

DTM93

I have to agree with you on that, most of the French staff were rude with us or just did not answer but we did not let it spoil our trip, a lot of the cast (Mickey, Pluto etc ... ) were fine and okay, Minnie was the best in the Hotel New York she was nice and you felt like you were interacting with her
*There goes my normal being :lol: *
We did a daytrip to Paris with Cityrama which leaves and goes back to the Hotel New York. A lot of the people got good coaches except the English we got a slightly dated version which didn't work but unfortunately that is how it is and I was not going to let few bigheaded europeans put me down.
A lot were just so rude though in DLP, they just walked infront of a big queue and got what they wanted and left but the good thing is you could shout nasty things at them and they would NOT understand it. :D

adrianuk91

What annoyed me was that I the first couple of time I bought something or ordered food I did so in french seen as I'm doing French GCSE and then they just spoke back in english which I thought was a bit disheartening and from then on I just spoke english or just said bonjour if they said bonjour to me as i found that it was a bit pointless in putting the effort in to speaking french when they just then speak back in english like as if I said it all wrong and that I insulted their language or something. I dunno maybe it was just they way of trying to be polite :shrug: who knows their French strange no offence to any nice french people. Also i remeber when me and my dad were waiting in the line for Rock n Roll rollercoaster and we were just by the station were it launches the train and the man behind me kept pushing into me and trying to walk past us and then pushing me again it was so annoying and rude but I just let go over my head so it didnt spoil the day

chewingum2491

First of all, I adore your language. Last time, we learnt a society problem in France with my French Teacher. It call : Anglissisme. I don't know if anybody knows that. I have ever heard somebody are fed up because when there are tourists (I live in Chartres and there are many Tourist with the Cathedral) they speak English and don't try to speak our language. Don't worry, not all French poeple hate American guys but someone tell me : " When I was to England (or USA) I'll try to pseak English so why English don't try to speak French when they are in France? They thing everybody had to speak English But I live in French so I just have to speak French and not another language.....I answered : "I don't know":shrug:. That's all that I can say. I hope you have understand me.

(I think I'm lucky to have the possibilitie to lean other language.)

One question : Are many Americans guy lear Franch?

Thanks.

WEDisamazing

I have been to Disneyland Resort Paris 13 times (I have some very strange obsession with it) and have never had any experiences like that. I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful, so I would think that anything like that happening is a very rare occurence. I'm sure if you go you will be absolutely fine!
I know lots of people who have been, and they all enjoyed it too. Maybe you should tell your husband this, and seeing as you've been before as well and enjoyed you should hopefully be able to pursuade him to go!
good luck!
xxxx

cmatt

First of all, I adore your language. Last time, we learnt a society problem in France with my French Teacher. It call : Anglissisme. I don't know if anybody knows that. I have ever heard somebody are fed up because when there are tourists (I live in Chartres and there are many Tourist with the Cathedral) they speak English and don't try to speak our language. Don't worry, not all French poeple hate American guys but someone tell me : " When I was to England (or USA) I'll try to pseak English so why English don't try to speak French when they are in France? They thing everybody had to speak English But I live in French so I just have to speak French and not another language.....I answered : "I don't know":shrug:. That's all that I can say. I hope you have understand me.

(I think I'm lucky to have the possibilitie to lean other language.)

One question : Are many Americans guy lear Franch?

Thanks.

I know a reasonable amount of french... as i am interested in the culture and when i lived on the south coast i used to go to normandy for cheap booze/camping :)

what is apparent is that we are not exposed to french as you guys are to english. Such as music i guess (correct me if i am wrong!)

Also - it is mainly taught at secondary level and is substandard. If you like it you take it up at college/uni but there is no drive to actually get students to speak it properly.

So its not ego - it is not knowing it enough to speak it with confidence :)

WEDisamazing

I started French and Spanish at 7, and Latin at 11
The only problem is, I find that I know too much so it is hard to remener it all.
I speak enough French to be able to ask question etc. but they allways seem to know you're English, and then they just speak to you in English, but I've never had any problems in Disneyland Paris and I've been quite a few times!

almond

I think its good manners to at least try to say a few words in French even if its just the pleases and thankyou's when getting food orders. I am useless and speak French with a terrible English twang but i do try!! But its embarrasing when you try and they fire back in French and you stand there looking, well like a tourist lol!! I agree with the non queuing French school children though, right pain. Especially when school aged children are encouraged to wander to the front of a queue pushing past you without a thought and then you find their parents follow them up. But im sure English school children and other nationalities do their fair share - saw an English lady cleverly using her camcorder pretending to film as she manovered her way down the long queue for the train - pity it wasnt on!!

chewingum2491

I know a reasonable amount of french... as i am interested in the culture and when i lived on the south coast i used to go to normandy for cheap booze/camping :)

what is apparent is that we are not exposed to french as you guys are to english. Such as music i guess (correct me if i am wrong!)

Also - it is mainly taught at secondary level and is substandard. If you like it you take it up at college/uni but there is no drive to actually get students to speak it properly.

So its not ego - it is not knowing it enough to speak it with confidence :)

Exactly! My opinion : American's songs or movies are much better than French one's.
Hope that you understand. (I really want to had a better English because I'm fascinated about it!.)

DisneyWales

While i had a bad time during my last visit, i didn't feel it was because i was English (well im welsh but still)

I just feel that after the whole American Disney Difference, the French Disney Difference was well, different....

I had alot of people telling me that French people are rude etc, but i had no issues, yes some people choose not to even start a conversation with me when they discovered i was English.

But it wasn't enough to put me off, im going again this weekend.

I guess after a while the CM's get fed up with awkward half english half french conversations, so why make your and their life harder.

And to be honest I feel we English should be singled out at times, we do have this whole "Learn my language" mentality.

Im screwed either way, in school I learnt Welsh (being Welsh and all) and German. Now as an adult I'm learning Japanese.

Whenever we go, i hide behind either my boss when its for work, or my BF.

minnie2000

While i had a bad time during my last visit, i didn't feel it was because i was English (well im welsh but still)

I just feel that after the whole American Disney Difference, the French Disney Difference was well, different....

I had alot of people telling me that French people are rude etc, but i had no issues, yes some people choose not to even start a conversation with me when they discovered i was English.

But it wasn't enough to put me off, im going again this weekend.

I guess after a while the CM's get fed up with awkward half english half french conversations, so why make your and their life harder.

And to be honest I feel we English should be singled out at times, we do have this whole "Learn my language" mentality.

Im screwed either way, in school I learnt Welsh (being Welsh and all) and German. Now as an adult I'm learning Japanese.

Whenever we go, i hide behind either my boss when its for work, or my BF.

Wow - do you go to Eurodisney with work? Where do you work? Any jobs going?! (I live in Wales :lookaroun)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom