Pre-Trip These Grimm, Grinning Ghosts are out to socialize

Pre Trip 2014

This Grimm Grinning Ghost is off to socialize in central Florida shortly! So we are at less than 40 days to go and I want to make sure you all have a chance to get caught up. I do not think I have completed a pre trip before here, but happy to provide one for my adventures.

My name is Erika and I reside in the Snowiest City USA or Erie, PA as it is officially referred to. No kidding we had the worst winter in years with record snow fall, so we cherish our trips south, west, wherever it is not northwest PA. Fall is typically our Disney trip time and after many years in October to celebrate my birthday, we have slowly moved the trip to the end of September to avoid the crowds of Columbus Day weekend. I tried to avoid the crowds of the F&W Fest this year, but of course it was extended a week this year! Like really?! I will not complain. I will not complain J

Our travel dates are September 18-20th at Universal

September 21th-26th Bay Lake Tower –Our home-2 BDR villa

September 26th-29th Beach Club, Club level

Travel party is me, 30ish. Now that I am over 30, it’s 30ish my parents. They are pretty fun and have been taking my brother and me to WDW since we were babies. I would consider us veterans on the World with over 30 visits easy.

I love to take photos and right now I am taking a photography class to hone my skills. Hoping to get some beauties this trip! I am a classically trained chef, so I may be a bit harsh on food reviews too.

Stay tuned, there is plenty more to come!

If you wish to find me outside of the boards-follow me on Twitter @cheferikag and on Instagram @grimmylfc

Erika

Last edited:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
The plan

Arrival: early! September 18-20th at Universal

Luckily United still offers one direct flight from Cleveland a day. The return flight timing is not great, but we are not big fans of connections. Too much stress, not enough bags sometimes. Been there, done that, trying to avoid it. Cities we could connect into are Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia. Two of these are among the busiest in the country and well known for their delays. Unfortunately most airlines are doing the spider web hub connections. I know they are most efficient for the airlines, but we happen to live in a travel cul–de- sac. I’d rather not fly west or east for an hour or more, then wait for (or miss) another two hour or more flight. I just want to go south! South is where the palm trees are and the sunshine.

Now I am huge Disney fan, but we have also visited Universal as a kid too. I remember when you used to park in a large surface lot in front the park and across the street was a high school! I don’t know what school it was-I wish some did. Maybe someone here knows? I am a late blooming Potter fan and wow is the WWoHP amazing! Looking forward to Diagon Alley J

Our flight will have us arriving mid morning and by the time we get the bags and car we will probably be very hungry! Thinking of grabbing early lunch somewhere on International Drive- no shortage of choices. I think if we wait till we check in and get over to CityWalk it will be way too long and perhaps we would be hangry.

We are staying at Universal’s Royal Pacific Resort. We have stayed here, as well as the Hard Rock and the Portofino Bay Resort. This is the preferred resort of the three. Most recently we tried the HRR and it was nice, but not our choice theme. It was a bit on the loud side and I guess a little to rock and roll for us! Portofino was beautiful, but it is a typical mega hotel with winding corridors and long walks to the elevators and other places around the resort. The same could be said for the other two, but we just seem to like that South Seas vibe. The Polynesian is our all time favorite coincidentally. I have been to Hawaii and I recently visited the Field Museum in Chicago a few weeks ago and saw the Pacific Spirits exhibit. Awesome if you have a chance to get there- The Maori house is really cool. While the Polynesian definitely has the edge as far as the total atmosphere and theming goes, they are both great representations of the south seas styling imho. I know many people think they are tacky or whatever, but that is why there are many other resorts to choose from.

So, we should have a whole afternoon to play and the parks are open till 8:30 PM. HHN are Friday and Saturday so the park will be closing early. What I am trying to determine is will Universal be busier or Islands of Adventure Friday or Saturday. I would imagine the crowds will be heavier on the weekend with local crowds. Just trying to figure out if we want to do Diagon Alley first thing Friday morning because it is so new and there will be hefty crowds later in the day no doubt.

I am really looking forward to having the extra night, since we usually only stay two nights. The lobby is spacious and beautiful. Hitting Jake’s for an evening drink or snack was fun and there is always the sushi bar.

On the food and drink hit list for Universal Property include * includes a venue we never visited

Drinks at Finnegan’s-perhaps a Scotch egg

Lunch at Mel’s Drive In-can’t beat their burgers, onion rings and shakes

Margaritas at Jimmy Buffets

Hard Rock-always a great place to drink and snack

Antojitos looks pretty awesome*

Hog’s Head Pub

Moe’s Tavern*

Schwab’s Pharmacy*

Red Oven Pizza Bakery*

Hot Dog Hall of Fame*

NASCAR Sports Café

Okay stayed tuned for more folks! Plenty more good stuff to come.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
So I have been taking a photography class to pick up the hows and whys on my camera. I have had it for 4 years, but was still yearning to learn how to go full manual. Many of my friends are graphic artists and I have learned a lot from them, but I wanted a hands on approach from a professional. I had my instructor found a spot on the mirror, now it was several spots that I noticed a while ago, but could never really figure out what is was. I am going to have to send back to the manufacturer to have cleaned, but I am going to WDW in 35 days!!! :arghh: A few days ago, I had conveniently transferred some monies to my back account for some bills, but it must have sign! Needless to say I am looking forward to receiving my new camera Friday! Woot woot

LowesChevy

Original Poster
After a few days at Universal, it’s time to head to WDW!! We will be staying at our home resort Bay Lake Tower Sunday the 21th – Friday 26th. I actually just made some Fast Pass + reservations for Sunday for the Magic Kingdom. I didn’t really know what time we would be able to get in our room, but I made some selections for the afternoon. A few times we have scored an early check in, but usually it is after 4 PM. The reservations looked pretty available that day, but the 30 day will be opening up in a few days. Also, I’m not totally sure if we are heading right to the resort after checking out of Universal. Perhaps we will hit the Florida Mall or Mall at Millenia do some shopping and have lunch or head to DTD. I guess that’s why these Pre Trip reports are so helpful for transition days! We have and ADR later in the evening at California Grill, so we don’t stray too far especially if we cannot get in the room too soon.

Coming up…WDW!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
As I mentioned before, the details are kind of in the air with Sunday. Some spontaneity is needed and with FP+ all over the parks it may be nice to go with the flow for a day. This is the wonderful thing about staying at Universal property-you automatically get fast passes for the rides with the exception of the HP Headliners. The rest of the park you can mosey around and wander.

I did schedule some FP+ for the afternoon in the MK in case we need to kill sometime before room check in. We are owners at BLT and love our DVC membership. I think it was the perfect time and perfect resort for us to come available at the time. We have been visiting WDW for over 30 years and always say we should have done it sooner, but resort location is a big decision. Ideally BWV or BCV would have been boss too, but we were not interested in making the financial plunge at the time. Old Key West was a favorite of ours for many years, but getting places is tough-you either drive or bus. We loved the décor and room set ups for AKV, but again rather far out from the other parks and dining options.

We rent a 2 bdr unit and yes it is a lot of points and space, but we like our room and bathrooms! Also if we tend to get a stray traveler or two there is plenty of room. I personally cannot stand sleeping on a pull out anything or sleep somewhere that someone has sat all day haha. Our vacations are over a week long so we tend to spend some time in the room relaxing mid day and my mother has to nap too! She needs her extra sleep and my dad and I usually go out and explore, mainly for beer.

Bay Lake Tower is beautiful. The elevators can be slow, as with any multi story resort. For the most part we love our stays here despite a major maintenance issue two years ago and no hot water one morning a different year. The Contemporary a short walk away and the trip to the MK is a breeze, except mid day when the sun is blazing!

The next morning is Monday and a full day at the Magic Kingdom is planned. I will get you all the juicy details next time. Breakfast is at the Wave-see you soon!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
This was a busy weekend! I took some portrait shots of my cousins and of my BFF and her husband for photography class. I used my new camera my old one, one with the long lens and the other the short. It made things go smoothly. Aside from that, a group of my friends hosts a bocce tournament every year, so I was plenty occupied with that on Saturday. I am glad I ordered the new camera because the spots on my old one were really bad! I am happy to be able to have a lot of time to figure out the bells and whistles on the new one. Luckily, it is very similar and has video capability. I will probably still take my Handi-cam to take video because it is nice and compact- a perfect companion at the park.

It is down to 30 days today! I can’t believe it and it will fly. We had bought some new suitcases for a great deal last week since our old ones are getting rather worn. They get a lot of abuse because we fly 4-5 times a year, which doesn’t seem like much, but it does do some wear on your luggage over 5 or more years. One of the other suitcases had ripped near the zipper and we had to stitch it up with some heavy duty thread. The key is finding that perfect size-one that you can fill up, but still be under the 50 lbs. threshold! You certainly do not want to arrive with bags that are overstuffed or overweight because then not only do you have to pay a fee to the airline, but you can’t buy souvenirs unless you ship them home right?!

Our plane tickets are purchased, but we still need to snag a rental car. DD and I actually discussed looking at flight times for our January trip as well today. We are staying Saturday to Saturday, but we want to make sure the flight times are good. We don’t want to get in late afternoon the first day, so maybe fly down a Friday etc. Aye-still too excited for this trip to get ahead of ourselves, but lots of pre planning is important!

Our week at Disney looks like this

Sunday-MK-dinner at Cali Grimm

Monday-MK-Wave for B, Plaza for lunch and DTD for dinner at Wolfgang Puck Café + shopping. Back to MK for evening photo shots

Tuesday-Epcot (Not sure we will get there for Early EMH) Wave for B, lunch at Via Napoli and dinner at Citricos

Wednesday-DHS-Breakfast at the Wave, lunch at Mama Melrose and dinner at House of Blues + shopping

Thursday-MK –EMH morning, breakfast at Kona, lunch at Tony’s Town Square and dinner at Artist Point

Friday-we move to the Beach Club! Plan is to leave BLT and go to AK, breakfast at Wave, lunch likely at DTD, dinner at Tutto Italia

Saturday-DHS, breakfast at Captains Grill, lunch at the Brown Derby and dinner at Teppan Edo

Sunday is our last full day-we will renew our Annual Passes, so we have to wait to get our FP+. We plan to have breakfast at the Captain’s Grill, lunch at Via Napoli again and dinner at Les Chef’s De France, but I may change it around a titch., knowing that is a primetime day for F & W. I like to end the trip with Epcot time, but it may be pretty crazy. However, we will be back in January! DHS is open later this evening as well.

More excitement to follow. See you real soon!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
We were looking for rental cars today. We tend to like Alamo since they are right at the airport now. The last thing I want to do is lug my bags around like we have to in Phoenix, get on a bus and take a 10 minute ride the rental car terminal. Get your bags of the bus and drag them across another giant building and down a few sets of escalators or elevator. Who designs this stuff? People who don’t travel obviously! It is really nice to grab the bags off the claim and head down one flight of stairs and go outside across the street. As easy as Magical Express sounds we just enjoy having a car so we can drive to DTD, DHS and AK as well as go off property for shopping or a meal.

My photography class meets tonight and we get to upload our sunset/nature photos as well as our practice portraits. I think both lessons were very informative for taking better shots and I am looking forward to getting more pointers too.

Hammering out details for the January trip as well. One of the reasons we opted to go to WDW again over Key West is the cost of the flights and travel time. There is so much demand and so little available seats on the planes there. We love to visit, but my brother, sister-in-law and nephews won’t be going down either. Oh well you don’t have to pull to hard on my leg to convince me! Plus we have APs and it will be nice to visit without the food booths up at Epcot for once.

See you real soon :)

Nemo14

Most rental companies are right at the airport in Orlando now. Don't limit yourself to one company just for that.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
We have been stocking up on Disney gift cards for the trip. I think of it as I’m going to spend the money anyway so why not spread the cost over time right?! The gc made meals pretty easy last year in combination with our TIW our meal costs were offset. They make really good gifts for birthdays and Christmas in our family since we are all such fanatics and with our trip in January it is perfect timing.

Last day of photo class is tonight-time for those last minute questions! Tonight we are sharing our photos taken and discussing external flash. I am looking forward to learning about how to take better night shots with the flash.

Still waiting for a good deal on the rental car. Usually after poling around on the websites they tend to send you an email with some sort of discount offer. I guess we will wait a little longer.

See you real soon

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Hello everyone! It has been a busy few days. We spent the weekend grilling and swimming. My brother, sister-in-law and nephews are coming in for the holiday weekend Friday, so there is more to look forward to for us. We have not laid any clothes out yet, because our guests will be sleeping in the spare rooms, We tend to get everything laid out within two weeks to go that way we can see if we need anything new or make changes.

I have been looking at some amazing night photographs on Flikr. I will definitely attempt some of these shots, but I don’t know how well they will turn out for me. I always have a good time finding things to shoot anyway.

Work has been stressful. This is a busy time with pro and college football season about to begin I tend to get many orders for pitchers and mugs. Our manufacturing end slows down, but not out print shop! I am hoping by the time next month rolls around it will have settled down a bit.

Off to dinner at the White Turkey in Conneaut, OH. It is a fun little 30 minute drive from our home. Labor Day is their last day of business for the season, so we had to sneak in a last minute trip!

See you real soon!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
My family is coming in to town this afternoon and we are all very excited. Really looking forward to not having work Monday! Still busy at work even though many people are off. I hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend and next week we get down to packing!! Have a great one :D

LowesChevy

Original Poster
The long weekend went quick! Back to work today :oops: boohoo, but hey I only have about 10 days of work till vacation so I need to quit whining!

It was nice to have my brother, sister in law and my little nephews home this weekend, but wow they wore me out for sure. The weather cooperated for the most part and we had a great time with family and friends.

I can't believe we only have 15 days till we go:jawdrop:...this is the best part-the anticipation. We are getting those bed sheets changed and re made because it is time to lay out clothes and goodies for the trip. I'd be totally bouncing off the walls, but I feel so bad, my dad has an awful case of posion ivy. He ended up going to the emergency room yesterday and they prescribed a steroid to help with the inflammation, but in the meantime he is miserable! I was surprised he went to the doctor in the first place, so he must really be feeling ill. Fingers crossed this dries up for the most part before we go!

After this weekend, my kitchen is closed. We are going out to a local Italian restaurant we love for a treat. I will keep you all updated

see you real soon Erika

LowesChevy

Original Poster
It's finally Friday! I don't know why short weeks end up being so much more stressful and endless than 5 days weeks. I may still be recouping from the weekend, but I have been going to bed early so I should be more energetic.

It is about 90 F here in Erie-it is crazy for September! I went to Walmart and bought popsicles for our employees to help keep them cool. My last outdoor soccer game is tonight too--yikes! We are going to be mighty hot out there running around. I feel bad for the football players too with ll of their padding and gear to wear tonight.

The beds are made and cleared and I had already set aside a few shirts to take on the trip. We will definitely be laying out a lot of items this weekend and making sure we do not need any last minute items. I can't believe we are down to 12 days, I just hope my dad's poison ivy continues to go away.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! -see you real soon :rolleyes:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
9 Days to go! Single digit dancing has begun! :D

The weekend was lovely. I scored the game winning goal in my match Friday, totally thrilled to end the season in a exciting fashion.

I started laying out some of my clothes even though I am still wearing a lot of them- it is tough this time of year! I grab my other footwear and I charged up my spare batteries for my camera. I am planning on bringing my camcorder too because it is nice and small and in the middle of my post WDW funk I can watch videos :rolleyes:

Dad's poison ivy is healing up, I got him witch hazel and had him start putting on some colloidal oatmeal lotion to help the scabbing not be so dry. Just waiting for that time to fly.

It is starting to get real! I will keep you up to date---See you real soon Erika

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom