Trip Report There's Something About Mary...and it's called DRAMA!

I think it's time to get this thing started...hoping it will help my mood and sanity levels. For those that missed the PTR (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lawdy-lawdy-look-whos-turning-40-ptr.867181/) - the early pages should help you catch up on the bulk of the big details, and for those that missed our problems from day 1 of our trip (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-not-to-start-your-wdw-vacay.873853/ )...well, it kind of speaks for itself.:( I am going to try and keep this as upbeat as possible, but we have a very long road ahead to fix things...so, please bear with me as I vent in between some of the magic. :)

September 18th

I left work early on the 18th so I could pick up the girls at school and have them with us when we took our dog to get boarded. This is our Daisy Doggy...
074.JPG

What's really funny, the pic above was taken with Sammie's Fisher Price plastic kiddie camera!

After getting the dog situated at boarding, we went home, had some dinner, and the heavy duty packing started. I'd actually started packing my things on the 17th, but now it was time to really focus on the girls. I let them sleep in the guest bedroom that night so I could pack all of their stuff without keeping them up...i.e. so I could pack all of the surprise outfits without spoiling anything.;) It was A TON of packing, but I finished up around 1am. I had thought about setting up the outfits and bags in the guest room for the reveal, but Sammie got up to use the bathroom right around that time- soooooo, I decided to wait until just before the big reveal.

September 19

I guess I got close to 4.5 hours of sleep (good for the night before a travel day)...and at 6am, it was finally time to set up and reveal the big secret. I got everything set up and then DH came in to help me. The video I took is pretty awful and sleepy girls don't make for really good surprises, but this is the vid I took and I swear...they were REALLY happy.

You can all now probably appreciate what it's like getting these two up for school each morning. :facepalm:

Actually, the girls were super quick to get dressed once it really sunk in what was going on. They were even good with posing for pictures before hitting the road...
9924749463_db7fbda884.jpg

We loaded up my SUV and hit the road...sadly, we wouldn't get far. The accident took place about 2.5 miles from our house. I really don't want to rehash all of the scary details, but when we realized we'd all be able to walk away from this horror - we had to decide if we'd continue with this WDW trip. While the girls' initial screams and cries were from the accident itself, they morphed into cries that they wouldn't get to see their grandma and grandpa. We usually try and visit every 3 months, but we pushed it a bit longer b/c of this trip. It was for this reason DH and I decided to push forward with the trip even if the odds weren't in our favor. I guess I just figured getting everyone to "the most magical place on earth" could be therapeutic. Don't get me wrong...I love that the EMTs and lead sheriff on the scene were super lovey with the girls :inlove: - they really needed something super positive...so, Disney it was!

So, after I took care of the most important initial phone calls, I got Southwest on the line (at the scene of the wreck) and started working with them to rebook the outbound flight. We were yelling over ambulance sirens and traffic, but after about 20 min, we were rebooked from our 9:15am departure to a 3:55pm departure. They also said DH could ask for a blue card for pre-board (we were now in group C after paying to be in group A on the original flight)...while it's gotten better, he had some leg pain that day and was limping from the aches. The timing also worked well since it gave me time to go to the collision center, talk to the various insurance companies, etc. My wonderful MIL was also kind enough to pick up DH and the girls from the scene. This enabled him to get his car and she was able to love on the girls for a while until we were ready to regroup and get travel plans rolling again.

While our flight out of Houston was delayed close to 3 hours due to weather and mechanical issues (not helping Kendall, who was now terrified that the plane would crash), but we got off the ground a little after 6pm and we were on our way...

9924756273_281dbbc4e9.jpg

Sammie sat with DH on the way to FL-- with Pooh, of course...
9924657494_bc33e6d210.jpg

I had Kendall...
9924579545_9f192d5e78.jpg

...and we spent the entire flight doing this big word search on her tablet.

9924651404_e1738fda8b.jpg

We flew into terminal A and DME is in terminal B. It was after the girls' bed time, so we opted to just get our baggage. Soooooo, we went down to terminal A baggage and then lugged it over to DME in terminal B. Thankfully, Kendall has overcome her fear of escalators, so minus losing her shoe for a while on one of them :rolleyes: we were in good shape.

I think the CMs manning the DME entrance could read all of the stress and worry on my face, because they promised me pixie dust and magic from that point on. :D We had our Magic Bands on at this point, but I had my vouchers out so in the interest of time and sanity, they just used those. They directed us to the line for AKL and while we were let on the bus right away...we were so late that the bus was accommodating a number of resorts from various lines. Still...Kendall and I wound up with this prime spot!

9924661334_a5f37400c7.jpg

I swear, I got choked up when I looked up and saw the screen...like that "we're really on our way" moment.

9924619886_389c274cb7.jpg

It took a while for them to load up the bus since they were waiting on people to come in from all of these late or delayed flights, but it wasn't long before we were off. :happy:

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
All caught up loved the report glad the drama finally got worked out. Can't wait for the next one whenever it may be.

Thanks! Hoping the health insurance part isn't too bad, but at least we're in a new vehicle and at the tail end of our treatment. Who knows- maybe we'll end up at DLR next summer :) Hey- a girl can dream ;)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It's been a few months since your accident, how are you feeling?

Doing pretty well :) Still waiting on the pain and suffering settlement, but trying to put as much of that behind me. Things are just super busy. I took a new job about 4 months ago and a food and fitness overhaul about 2 months ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to start a PTR for our November trip, but I can't seem to find the time most days to even post a "How Many Days" update.

How have you been?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
No cake updates? :jawdrop:

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. Congratulations on the new job and new food. It's been a whirl-wind of activity here.

Well, I maintain the Cake Talk thread and update my Flickr feed with my personal cakes...but that's about it. I have some Disney cake plans for Nov, but things are still a bit fuzzy in that area.

Thanks! Hopefully, it's been a good whirlwind for you :)

ThatBrunette

We did Tokyo DisneySea in April. That trip kept me busy with planning and packing. I highly recommend TDR for any Disney fan. Gorgeous parks and it is a thrill to hear the rides in Japanese. I don't speak Japanese but it was still nifty. :)

How do I find your Flickr feed? I like the pretty pictures of cake.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We did Tokyo DisneySea in April. That trip kept me busy with planning and packing. I highly recommend TDR for any Disney fan. Gorgeous parks and it is a thrill to hear the rides in Japanese. I don't speak Japanese but it was still nifty. :)

How do I find your Flickr feed? I like the pretty pictures of cake.

Oooooooo- Tokyo! Sooooo JEALOUS!!! :D Did you do a TR? If not, maybe just post pics! I'd love to see :)

This is the link to my cake album on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/sets/72157624710575326/

ThatBrunette

TDS Trip Report: The rides are shorter but the atmosphere is better.

I was so busy soaking up the atmosphere, I didn't record (write down/take pictures) much of our trip. It's different but the same. More polite than the American parks but less friendly.

DSCF0761 by ThatBrunette, on Flickr

We got to see Duffy's Spring Voyage. I would tell you more about it but, we didn't understand anything. Oh, the best part: everyone sits for parades and shows! Shoe removal is accepted.

Duffy is *everywhere*. After a while, you learn to accept and love Duffy. Everyone loves Duffy...

Tokyo DisneySea Happy Easter Genie by ThatBrunette, on Flickr

Husband travels a lot for business so this trip was done with points and miles. I keep telling him to start suggesting conferences in more Disney cities.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
TDS Trip Report: The rides are shorter but the atmosphere is better.

I was so busy soaking up the atmosphere, I didn't record (write down/take pictures) much of our trip. It's different but the same. More polite than the American parks but less friendly.

DSCF0761 by ThatBrunette, on Flickr

We got to see Duffy's Spring Voyage. I would tell you more about it but, we didn't understand anything. Oh, the best part: everyone sits for parades and shows! Shoe removal is accepted.

Duffy is *everywhere*. After a while, you learn to accept and love Duffy. Everyone loves Duffy...

Tokyo DisneySea Happy Easter Genie by ThatBrunette, on Flickr

Husband travels a lot for business so this trip was done with points and miles. I keep telling him to start suggesting conferences in more Disney cities.

It's definitely on the list of places I'd like to see...just not sure when. I've heard it's beautiful...and yes, I'd heard Duffy is all the rage. So awesome that you were able to do this with points/miles! Thanks for sharing the pics! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom