Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

As has been pointed out numerous times the trees there now are not the type to reach the size of the old ones.
They won't really need to be as big as the others to still cause a sight line block. But, If they don't then we won't be having this particular discussion again until they change the show to something else or I'm already dead, so it doesn't really matter.:cool::)

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
As has been pointed out numerous times the trees there now are not the type to reach the size of the old ones.

Thanks for that information. This is great to know they will not block my view of the shows at night in the years to come.

Goofyernmost

What are your thoughts on World Showcase lagoon? The trees have matured and many areas have obstructed views of Illuminations.
Nothing. The mere size of the lagoon prevents a clear view of anything ground (lagoon) level anyway and fireworks are in the sky. The number of trees around the lagoon is far less dense and remember it is a whole mile around it. Plenty of open space compared to the MK hub.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Thirty-third photo pair. Then: Writer's Stop at Hollywood Studios, December 2015. The New York skyline of Streets of America is the dark flat structure on the left behind the tree. "Stage 14" on the right is the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant.

Writers Stop Dec 2015.JPG

Now: December 2017. Writer's Stop has become the Baseline Tap House with courtyard.

Dec 2017.JPG

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Thirty-fourth photo pair. Then: February 2009. The lakeside view of Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney. The launch platform for Characters in Flight was still under construction. The Disney boat dock was uncovered.

IMG_0273 Feb 2009.JPG

Now: December 2017. The lakeside view of The Landing at Disney Springs. The Disney boat dock was rebuilt in the same location, but is covered now. Almost 9 years later, most all the structures are new.

Lakeside DD Dec 2017.jpg

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Thirty-fifth photo pair. Then: August 1978. Magic Kingdom Rivers of America view from Frontierland. If you look closely on the right side of the photo, between the flagpole and the riverboat boarding platform, on the horizon you can see one of the support towers for the Fantasyland Skyride. Of course, in 1978 the Mike Fink Keel Boats were still in operation. One is docked at the pier. On the left, Tom Sawyer Island exhibits the lush tree growth, before hurricane Irma of October 2017.

MK Rivers of America Aug 1978.jpg

Now: January 2018. Thirty-nine plus years later, the Fantasyland Skyride and Mike Fink Keel Boats are gone. Rapunzel's Tower is prominent in the center of the photo. As this photo was taken in January, there is less foliage on the trees and the buildings are more visible than above.

MK Rivers of America Jan 2018.JPG

Animaniac93-98

Thirty-fifth photo pair. Then: August 1978. Magic Kingdom Rivers of America view from Frontierland. If you look closely on the right side of the photo, between the flagpole and the riverboat boarding platform, on the horizon you can see one of the support towers for the Fantasyland Skyride. Of course, in 1978 the Mike Fink Keel Boats were still in operation. One is docked at the pier. On the left, Tom Sawyer Island exhibits the lush tree growth, before hurricane Irma of October 2017.

View attachment 259674

Now: January 2018. Thirty-nine plus years later, the Fantasyland Skyride and Mike Fink Keel Boats are gone. Rapunzel's Tower is prominent in the center of the photo. As this photo was taken in January, there is less foliage on the trees and the buildings are more visible than above.

View attachment 259675

There's also the addition of the Haunted Mansion FP building (in front of Memento Mori) and the extended canopy for the HM queue, which caused the removal of lamposts along the edges.

Goofyernmost

Thirty-sixth photo pair. Then: December 2015. A cast member backstage gate between sound stages.

View attachment 294596

Now: July 2018. The passage to Toy Story Land.

View attachment 294597
That alone is a tremendous improvement. In the top picture, I remember crossing that bridge when the backlot tour was worth seeing, but, in spite of the nostalgia, this is much better. I'm just an old man that is in favor of progress. The past is the past and the present is today.

Mike S

That alone is a tremendous improvement. In the top picture, I remember crossing that bridge when the backlot tour was worth seeing, but, in spite of the nostalgia, this is much better. I'm just an old man that is in favor of progress. The past is the past and the present is today.
A needed change. I just wish TSL was more of a Pixar Fantasyland if you get what I mean.

James Clifton

Change is going to happen....fact of life.....! Do I like all of them...NOPE....being 74 & visiting WDW over 40 times I am able to compare past & present...this is a blessing & a curse! Some dislikes can be small...like changing the Bakery to "Starebucks" I hate it! I liked it the way it was! Ahhh well ,change is gonna happen , I'll just go have my coffee at the POLY!
Jim

Goofyernmost

Change is going to happen....fact of life.....! Do I like all of them...NOPE....being 74 & visiting WDW over 40 times I am able to compare past & present...this is a blessing & a curse! Some dislikes can be small...like changing the Bakery to "Starebucks" I hate it! I liked it the way it was! Ahhh well ,change is gonna happen , I'll just go have my coffee at the POLY!
Jim
Or it is possible to exist without drinking coffee at all. I never even knew that the bakery existed until all the hoopla about Starbucks. On the way in I was heading for rides and had already had breakfast. On the way out I was headed for dining and rest. I never once went to WDW for the food, so, it just was nothing I was interested in. I would think the fact that I am well beyond a little overweight and wasn't drawn in by the bakery is quite remarkable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom